Options

Help Clarify Music Genres For Me (And the Rest of Us)

adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,505
edited May 2006 in Other Music
I'm in the process of ripping all my cds into iTunes and am not sure what genres are constituted by what bands. What do you label Pearl Jam as? Grunge/Modern Rock/Rock? How about the White Stripes? Indie/Modern Rock/Rock? Wolfmother? The Libertines? Kings of Leon? Arctic Monkeys? I'm just stuck here and not sure where to go. Any input is appreciated.
I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.

Comments

• Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,724
    I just put it all under Rock.

The genres are probably the last thing I use to categorize anything. I usually search by Album name. I find that to be the easiest way.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    I just put it all under Rock.

The genres are probably the last thing I use to categorize anything. I usually search by Album name. I find that to be the easiest way.
    Ditto. 95% of my music I have on my mp3 player is labeled as Rock. The rest is either rap or classical. I guess it could be productive to label by sub-genres, but I would be as annoyed trying to define everything as it seems adam is.

If I were doing it I would probably do it by time periods. Call all of the 90s stuff "alternative", call the new stuff "modern rock", I think that would be effective and easy. If you want specifics help use allmusic.com to see how they label the bands you are interested in.
  • Options
    karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    I can only tell you what I use as a filling systeem for my closet, but here goes.

I have 60/70// The Beatles, The Doors

Singersongwriter//Tori Amos, Damain Rice

Progesivepoprock// The Shins, The Thrills, The Decemberists, The Long winters, The Weakerthans

ProgesiveRock// Black rebel, 6 by 7, The Dears, Hope of the states, 90 day men

Seattle// Alice, Pearl, Sound, Nirvana

Expirimentale// Motorpsycho, Mogwai, Godspeed

Jazzy stuff//Marcus Miller, Jagga jazzist, St. Germain

Mainstreem big rockbands// R.E.M., The Pepper, Counting crows, The Cure, Placebo, The white stripes, Radiohead and so on and so on
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    I don't usually touch it with a ten foot pole. All the bands you listed are pretty much just plain rock.

but KD, Mogwai and GYBE are usually considered post-rock, not so much experimental
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    Echoes wrote:
    I don't usually touch it with a ten foot pole. All the bands you listed are pretty much just plain rock.

but KD, Mogwai and GYBE are usually considered post-rock, not so much experimental

I have all my Post rock, Psychedelic rock, noise together and I do feel these bands are experimental. I don't think it needs to be Zappa like to fit that bill. Anyway it's just a name, The point was that I categorize these bands together.
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • Options
    audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    Two genres: Music I like and music I don't like.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • Options
    stonesgstringstonesgstring Posts: 4,613
    Yeah genre's really are irrelevant. There are some bands which you just can't all agree where to put them.
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • Options
    adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,505
    Ok, I guess I'm just gonna leave them the way I've got em. Doesn't really matter anyway.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.