Rolling Stone List - Terrible Songs on Great Albums

adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
edited July 2006 in Other Music
I don't how they figured that Squeeze Box is a terrible song. Or In The Light by Led Zeppelin for that matter. Time for some feedback!

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2006/07/12/list-of-the-day-terrible-songs-on-great-albums/
I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.

Comments

• tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    I love both "Squeeze Box" and "In The Light"......the feedback on the article is getting several PJ mentions. "Glorified G"???? "Wrong answer, fuckface."

I would mention the very first Genesis song that Phil Collins sang the lead vocals on.....it's on "Selling England by The Pound". It's a horrible ballad that should have warned the public what kinda schlock that Phil would start turning out on a regular basis. The title is "More Fool Me" or some such rubbish.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    i like all those songs.
  • boxwine_in_hellboxwine_in_hell Posts: 1,263
    Yeah I like most those songs as well. I think the folks over at Rolling Stone must be really bored, which I'm sure is in some way due to the fact that most the new music being released these days sucks ass.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • T-CaseT-Case Posts: 186
    how is black hole sun a terrible song?
    Rolling stone is so bad at making lists
    PJ at MSG in 2008! Mission Accomplished

The band all knows. We're too afraid to mention.
    Don't want to be part of Frank's luncheon.
    Lose weight. Be safe. Where's Mike McCready?
    My god he's been ate!
  • usernameusername Posts: 48
    T-Case wrote:
    how is black hole sun a terrible song?
    Rolling stone is so bad at making lists

It's not a bad song, but I skip over it more often than I listen to it. I think it's definately the weakest song on an otherwise great album.
  • username wrote:
    It's not a bad song, but I skip over it more often than I listen to it. I think it's definately the weakest song on an otherwise great album.
    Superunknown is a perfect album.

just because a song is overplayed on the radio doesn't make it bad.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • usernameusername Posts: 48
    Superunknown is a perfect album.

just because a song is overplayed on the radio doesn't make it bad.

If you read my post, I never said it was a bad song. I even came right out and said it. I just said I thought it was the weakest.

And overplaying it has nothing to do with it. I don't really listen to the radio, never have.
  • "The Gift" by the VU, crap? Waldo Jeffries, you did not die in vain. "The Gift" is a masterpiece.
  • username wrote:
    If you read my post, I never said it was a bad song. I even came right out and said it. I just said I thought it was the weakest.

And overplaying it has nothing to do with it. I don't really listen to the radio, never have.
    i was referring more to the rolling stone list.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    brain of c wrote:
    i like all those songs.
    they must be free of any noodling then.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • mike_s_6mike_s_6 Posts: 160
    Huh?!

Bugs on Vitalogy - THIS is what I've been talking about. Ed writes an image-filled song that challenges songwriting conventions and he gets ditched for it.

Black Hole Sun - Definitely a weak song, but not terrible. The video might have affected the way people "hear" the song though, no matter how ironic that sounds.
    mike_s_6 wrote:

Black Hole Sun - Definitely a weak song, but not terrible. The video might have affected the way people "hear" the song though, no matter how ironic that sounds.

Black Hole Sun is not a weak song but I do agree that the video affects how a person personally hears that song. Michael Stipe once said something to the effect that music videos rob the listener of their own imagination and they are terrible things in that regard.----> See the episode of Iconoclasts on the Sundance Channel with Mario Batali on Michael Stipe. Iconoclasts is a totally brilliant show if you have not seen one yet.
    one foot in the door
    -The Replacements-
  • The Beatles, “Maxwell’s Silver Hammer” on Abbey Road

I agree with that one, the only beatles song i have to skip
  • Voiceless wrote:
    The Beatles, “Maxwell’s Silver Hammer” on Abbey Road

blasphemy

I love Maxwell's Silver Hammer.

I haven't seen the list, but I'll add my 2 cents...
    I like Squeeze Box, Black Hole Sun, Bugs and Glorified G.

One song that always bothered me was "Century" on Live's Secret Samadhi. Awesome music, awful lyrics. Either change the lyrics or move it to near the end of the album. You're just getting into a great record and they start singing about armpits and puke. i get the song, I just don't like it.
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
    Voiceless wrote:
    The Beatles, “Maxwell’s Silver Hammer” on Abbey Road

But as you turn your back on the boy, he creeps up from behind
    one foot in the door
    -The Replacements-
  • Edved82Edved82 Posts: 1,279
    adam42381 wrote:
    I don't how they figured that Squeeze Box is a terrible song. Or In The Light by Led Zeppelin for that matter. Time for some feedback!

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2006/07/12/list-of-the-day-terrible-songs-on-great-albums/

In The Light is one of Led Zeppelin's best songs. That list is a joke!
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • dan_vedderdan_vedder Posts: 213
    WHAT!?!?!? WHAT?!?!?! Waiting for the Worms is dead set like the best song on The Wall. Rolling Stone are so gay!
    Ten Club member 363***

7/11/06, 8/11/06, 18/11/06

escape is never the safest plan...
  • mtildenmtilden Posts: 62
    I agree with Be My Girl - Sally from the Police's first album. That middle section is unlistenable.
    "Go fuck yourself"
    -Dick Cheney

"Are you taking over or are you taking orders"
    -Joe Strummer 1952-2002

"All the war-propaganda, all the screaming and lies and hatred, comes invariably from people who are not fighting."
    -George Orwell
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    I always liked MAxwell's silver hammer. A song that I'm not mad about but it stills intriges me is REvolution #9
  • DCGARDENDCGARDEN Posts: 515
    In the Light is a beautiful song

Let me put my love into you is vintage Ac/Dc and could'nt possibly belong on a different album

Waiting for the worms I like, so this list is not for me
    I'll keep taking punches
    Untill their will grows tired
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    Help Help - riot Act.
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton