White Stripes Death Letter Video WOW

adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
edited February 2007 in Other Music
Just finished watching and I must say that Jack is incredible. Check out the solo here on this Son House classic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fM2qhG8mA4
I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.

Comments

• VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    First of all...JACK WHITE THE FUCKIN MAN!
    Secondly, thank you so much for posting this. :D I have this DVD. Looooove it to pieces. This is not only one of the greatest fuckin songs by them imo, but this performance is one of the best ones out there. Jack completely shreds it into another dimension! :eek: God damn! Literally jaw-dropping. He...is... amaaaazing.
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    i think death letter is off my fave white stripes record. de stijl????
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
    Yep kdpjam. :)
    So damn difficult to pick favs with this band but I hear ya...that album has a very special place in my heart as well. :o

"Lo√e, you know the word

• That's definitely one of their best live tunes. That and Jolene.
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    hendrix78 wrote:
    That's definitely one of their best live tunes. That and Jolene.

Thanks for the recomendation on Jolene, fuckin brilliant!

I don't see it on any of their album, so I'm curious do they play this song often when they play live?
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    Jolene is on their Blackpool Lights DVD. I think it's played frequently. The first time I saw it was when they did Conan O'Brien for a week back in 2003. One night they played Jolene and I was amazed.
    I just found a video of them performing Jolene on Conan:

http://www.rhapsody.com/whitestripes/videos/joleneliveonconan

Did anyone see the performance he gave, I think it was on the Grammy's, a few years ago? He played Death Letter Blues and just shredded it. B.B. King played right after him, but Jack's performance was outta this world. I love how he goes right int "Grinnin in your face", another Son House song.

Check out the original versions of this song in the blues documentary that Scorsese did for PBS. Son House's original version is awesome, the passion and energy.

Jack does the song more than justice

"It's so hard to love someone that don't love you!!!!!" Love that line!!!
    "She knows there is no success like failure
    And that failure's no success at all."

"Don't ya think its sometimes wise not to grow up."

"Cause life ain't nothing but a good groove
    A good mixed tape to put you in the right mood."
    Jolene! :o Hell yes! Lovin this thread more and more. One of the most beautiful covers ever imo. Yep they certainly do it play it live VERY often and thank god!! Jackie shines brighter than ever. Sooooo much emotion it's almost hard to watch. I can't get over the power....how his pleading broken voice just quivers. :o Damn! He really pours it ALL out on this one. I can't praise it enough! Oh and Red Lukin, they also have a single for this.

Aw I also gotta say that love the love between Conan and The Stripes. It's the best and has made for some extra extraordinary performances.
    :)

Ooo agreed gossardstradlin!! That Grammy's performance was insanity!!!! Back to back Seven Nation Army into a smoldering version of Death House!? Outta this world indeed. Major shredfest!

Speaking of which...

This has always been one of my fav performances....from their time on Conan and just in general. It always leaves me like this~~>:eek:. Especially when Jackie goes over to Conan's desk, sets his guitar down on it and just starts and shredding and sliding the living shit out of it! :eek: *bows down to the bad ass*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6WVD3PqeNY

"Lo√e, you know the word

• lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Tell me more. Is this available on DVD?? I don't really like youtube stuff.
    I jujst got De Stijl a few days ago, instant classic to my ears.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Tell me more. Is this available on DVD?? I don't really like youtube stuff.
    I jujst got De Stijl a few days ago, instant classic to my ears.

White Stripes - Under Blackpool Lights is the only official concert DVD... its most amazing!!!

everyone should own a copy :)

i know you're a guitar guy lucylespian... Jack, for me, is phenomenal as a guitarist... i could watch the Blackpool dvd on repeat.. the guy is a genius in my opinion :)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    I heard this song 10 times today, and absolutely love it. Here's the best version I found...YOU MUST LISTEN TO IT IF YOU LOVE THE BAND!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxl3s1AJ5d8

Edit: oh and by the way, yes it's from Blackpool Lights
  • laudenumlaudenum Posts: 405
    saw the white stripes in vancouver.
    hes a very underrated geetar player.
    myself,i think he just shreds when sliding.
    "shes stoned said the swede, and the
    mooncalf agreed" THe BANd
  • jack is a very talented guitar player.....that was some very nice work. still think meg is useless....lol.
    The wind is blowing cold
    Have we lost our way tonight?
    Have we lost our hope to sorrow?

Feels like were all alone
    Running further from what’s right
    And there are no more heroes to follow

So what are we becoming?
    Where did we go wrong?
  • geniegenie Posts: 2,222
    usually i like songs that white stripes make and usually i like any song that has slide guitar ( cause i'm sucker for a slide guitar )

but i ain't feeling this covered song
    If you don't have "Under Blackpool Lights" on DVD, you should buy it immediately. It is AMAZING!!!

http://www.amazon.com/White-Stripes-Under-Blackpool-Lights/dp/B00064AM6C/sr=8-2/qid=1171779047/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/103-4473876-2420628?ie=UTF8&s=dvd
    adam42381 wrote:
    If you don't have "Under Blackpool Lights" on DVD, you should buy it immediately. It is AMAZING!!!

http://www.amazon.com/White-Stripes-Under-Blackpool-Lights/dp/B00064AM6C/sr=8-2/qid=1171779047/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/103-4473876-2420628?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

OK, I'm hearing you, it's on my get this week list. I agree dunkman, JAck White is amazing, and very under-rated by people in general, but interestingly not by by people like Jimmy Page for example, who did a grerat double interview with him in a guitar mag not long ago.
    I think the over-hyping of the White Stripes when they first cam out did this. I know guitar guys who have never listened to them cos they figured that with that much hype, they must have been crap.
    Have I been saying he channels Robert Johnson ?????
    Music is not a competetion.
  • Alex_CoeAlex_Coe Posts: 762
    Wow
  • Nice to see some White Stripes love on this board. I think my favorite cover is "One More Cup of Coffee" from their debut. Just terrific stuff.
    Nice to see some White Stripes love on this board. I think my favorite cover is "One More Cup of Coffee" from their debut. Just terrific stuff.
    Excellent song. The White Stripes are generally well-received and respected around here.