Mayonaise - Smashing Pumpkins

facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
edited August 2008 in Other Music
This has to be one of their finest songs, the guitars are AMAZING on this one.

Here's a nice acoustic version :

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=rFRE4xX1b4Q
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• this version is awesome. its off the vieuphoria video, which is very good
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Probably the best song off of their greatest album. Now I must go give it a spin.
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    this version is awesome. its off the vieuphoria video, which is very good
    i love the version of disarm on vieuphoria, james looks lost in the guitar tones
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • Amazing song. I prefer the Siamese version to viewphoria but still love the acoustic. This was the Pumpkins song that really "hit" me, making me realize how legit the Pumpkins were.
  • gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    Agreed on all accounts. Best Smashing Pumpkins song. I've never heard this acoustic version, so I'll do that now.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • its always funny how some threads get responses and others dont. Months ago i raved about Mayonaise as one of the most amazing songs of all time. the guitars moan, and sigh, and the lyrics capture life of a teenager perfectly. No one responded to my post.

Good to see mayonaise get a decent thread.
  • The Pumpkins get very little credit for the depth of their songs. Mayonaise and Sweet Sweet are pretty dense songs. Both capture feelings alot of people carry with them
  • Next to Hummer, my favorite Pumpkins song.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Next to Hummer, my favorite Pumpkins song.

I nearly wept when I heard them play Hummer live last year!
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    Long ago, my friend told me I had to listen to this song and that it was the best song ever. He was right.
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    i was always partial to geek usa, but mayo is ok
    I love to turn you on
  • KosmicJelliKosmicJelli Posts: 1,855

I love Hummer... however, being a childhood friend/nemisis of Billy... I do have to say 1979 is my favorite since I am of course Justine in that song...
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Best song they ever did by miles.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    I love Hummer... however, being a childhood friend/nemisis of Billy... I do have to say 1979 is my favorite since I am of course Justine in that song...

For real?!
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    Siamese Dream is their best album.....

That album evokes all the emotions of teen angst in a way nothing else does......it's not contrived.....

Mayonaise, Hummer, Geek USA, Disarm......man, such an album......
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
    Siamese Dream is their best album.....

That album evokes all the emotions of teen angst in a way nothing else does......it's not contrived.....

Mayonaise, Hummer, Geek USA, Disarm......man, such an album......

Totally! I listened to it a few months back at about two in the morning with a couple of my old school mates and we all said the same thing - the nostalgia that album evokes is just incredible.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    great song, great album
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    Totally! I listened to it a few months back at about two in the morning with a couple of my old school mates and we all said the same thing - the nostalgia that album evokes is just incredible.

Yeah, i can understand that.....

The songs always take me back to a very specific 2 years (age 14-16) when this album soundtracked my world.....the bus ride to school, hanging out with my friends and learning to play bass, being with my first girlfriend and how the love you feel at that age seems so important and everlasting in its naivity.....

I find Mayonaise in particular evokes all those memories for me, memories of times which are now a decade ago (I'm now 24)......
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • hodgehodge Posts: 519
    and that's what i love about music, the memories we attach to certain songs

one of the greatest songs of all time
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable