New Filter single, check it out....

facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
edited February 2008 in Other Music
http://www.myspace.com/filter1

Pretty solid song, got that classic Filter vibe to it. I look forward to the album.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Yeah it's a pretty damn good song. Very U2-ish....except good.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB

Ha ha! Yeah I agree, it's better than anything U2 have released in about a decade.
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    sounds like army of anyone.
  • brain of c wrote:

LOL, might have something to do with the singer ;)

For the most part I really couldn't get into Army Of Anyone, it wasn't awful but I just don't think Richard Patrick's vocals sounded so good over the more classic rock sound. This new song has all the hallmark features of a Filter song, anthemic, driving guitars, ambient soundscapes and a great melody.
  • brain of c wrote:

i had the same problem with Audioslave. The guy sounded way too much like the guy from Soundgarden.
  • Duder5kDuder5k Posts: 278
    Haha, I literally just came here to post the link, but saw that someone else already had...

Anyway, I'm liking the new single a lot. I can't to hear those "industrial powerhouses" Richard was talking about as well.
  • Bump!
    I just read this:

"The album's first single "Soldiers of Misfortune" will be released later this month. PATRICK describes the soaring anthem--with its U2/Bowie flavor and stacked backdrop of buzzing electric guitars--as a "sardonic anti-war/pro-troops song." The first-person narrative was inspired by a letter from a FILTER fan who had enlisted in the Army reserves to get his college tuition paid; in his final year of college, he was shipped off to Iraq where he died from a rocket attack and small arms fire after just a few days of duty."

Very sad stuff.

Yep Filter is better then U2.

Enjoy the Kool-Aid.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,273
    i had the same problem with Audioslave. The guy sounded way too much like the guy from Soundgarden.

he he he he i hope your being sarcastic :eek:..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Ha ha! Yeah I agree, it's better than anything U2 have released in about a decade.
    I don't know. City of Blinding Lights is one of my favorite U2 songs.. That Filter song was pretty generic.
  • I listened to the song and its pretty good. Def inspired by Bowie and especially U2.

Personally it seems like since Take a Picture, Filter wants every single to sound like that.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
  • I don't know. City of Blinding Lights is one of my favorite U2 songs.. That Filter song was pretty generic.

I thought that was one of the worst from that album, it seemed to be lacking a hook or five. It's hard to even take U2 as a band seriously these days, Bono spends most of his time doing political shit.

The Filter song is a bit more rocking than Take A Picture, but I can see where you're coming from.
  • I thought that was one of the worst from that album, it seemed to be lacking a hook or five. It's hard to even take U2 as a band seriously these days, Bono spends most of his time doing political shit.

The Filter song is a bit more rocking than Take A Picture, but I can see where you're coming from.

I think that the end of City of Blinding Lights (the last minute or so) is loaded with hooks. We can agree to disagree on that one.

While the new song doesnt sound like a copy of Take a Picture it has none of the NIN influence that the first album Short Bus had. I sort of miss that from them.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
  • Yep Filter is better then U2.

Enjoy the Kool-Aid.

1. Yes, they are. U2 is mediocre as hell now.

2. Bill ORiley Humor! Hilarious. Really. That was even funnier than when he says it. Really.
  • I think that the end of City of Blinding Lights (the last minute or so) is loaded with hooks. We can agree to disagree on that one.

While the new song doesnt sound like a copy of Take a Picture it has none of the NIN influence that the first album Short Bus had. I sort of miss that from them.

Take a Picture was the only song on that album that even sounded like that.

You should listen to it, it blows Short Bus out of the water 1000 times over.
  • 1. Yes, they are. U2 is mediocre as hell now.

2. Bill ORiley Humor! Hilarious. Really. That was even funnier than when he says it. Really.

Filter will never be as good as U2. END OF STORY.

Wake me up when they have been around for 25 years, have 3 greatest hits albums, have bands be influenced by there style, come up with a trademark sound, make the hall of fame, and have a band like Pearl Jam open for them.

I think I will be sleeping for a long time.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
  • pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    hey man, nice shot.

I will NOT listen to any filter song after that picture CRAP!
    That was worse than STP's Sour Girl, or Poor Girl, or Wicked Girl, or whatever it was.
  • pjtaper wrote:
    hey man, nice shot.

I will NOT listen to any filter song after that picture CRAP!
    That was worse than STP's Sour Girl, or Poor Girl, or Wicked Girl, or whatever it was.

STP's Sour Girl is awesome you crazy lunatic! And Filter have a fair few songs better than Hey man, nice shot - as good as it may be.

I don't care if Filter haven't made an impact like U2 have, the fact remains that right now U2 are about as relevant as Britney Spears - that's what happens when you spunk four years up the wall hanging out with George Bush. Sorry but it has to be said.
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076

wait...that's a joke right?
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    good tunes bump
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Filter will never be as good as U2. END OF STORY.

U2 isn't even as good as U2. It's been over since the 80s.
    Wake me up when they have been around for 25 years

Wake me up when U2 releases a good album.
    have 3 greatest hits albums

Korn and Staind have greatest hits albums.

Hell, fucking SIMPLE MINDS have a greatest hits CD

Are you sure that's the measuring stick you want to use for good music?
    have bands be influenced by there style

The same can be said for alot of shitty bands.

I think I will be sleeping for a long time.

i think you're sleeping right now.
  • Duder5kDuder5k Posts: 278
    You know it's a good song and all, but I'm still waiting for the return of the Short Bus sludge/industrial sound. Apparently the first 4 songs from the CD are supposed to be like that, we'll see. Either way I'm still excited about a new Filter release, but I'm just into the heavier stuff like Short Bus/Jurassitol more.
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Duder5k wrote:
    You know it's a good song and all, but I'm still waiting for the return of the Short Bus sludge/industrial sound. Apparently the first 4 songs from the CD are supposed to be like that, we'll see. Either way I'm still excited about a new Filter release, but I'm just into the heavier stuff like Short Bus/Jurassitol more.

Jurassitol is a wicked song, will have to dig that one out again.
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    Never even heard of this band until I opened this thread. That new tune is pretty rocking, and some of the other ones on the Myspace are good as well. Sounds like something I'd enjoy. Anyone care to reccomend any albums?
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    muppet wrote:
    Never even heard of this band until I opened this thread. That new tune is pretty rocking, and some of the other ones on the Myspace are good as well. Sounds like something I'd enjoy. Anyone care to reccomend any albums?

Title Of Record is probably their best album, the Amalgamut has some great tunes too (check out the song The Only Way Is The Wrong Way - amazing!).

Some of my favourite songs are:

Hey Man Nice Shot
    Jurassitol
    Welcome To The Fold
    Captain Bligh
    It's Gonna Kill Me
    Take A Picture
    Skinny
    I'm Not The Only One
    Where Do We Go From Here
    The Missing
    God Damn Me