Dust by Screaming Trees is a masterpiece

Comments

• Grunge100Grunge100 Posts: 178
    Name SOME of these albums? That's it? Just some? Out of the hundreds & possibly thousands of albums in existance better than Dust?

Where to begin? Well known albums? Lesser known albums? So many albums better than Dust... I'll just look at my album collection & randomly choose them.

Coltrane - Love Supreme
    Rage Against the Machine - Evil Empire
    Charlie Christian - The Genius of Electric Guitar
    Tom Waits - Rain Dogs
    My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
    The Cure - The Head on the Door
    The Velvet Underground - Loaded
    Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
    John Lennon - Plastic Ono Band
    The Doors - Morrison Hotel
    Neutral Milk Hotel - Avery Island
    Neil Young - On The Beach
    Albert King - Born Under A Bad Sign

Should I just keep going on forever? Because I really could. All those albums above + hundreds or thousands more are better than 'Dust', yet here you all are, talking about what a "masterpiece" it is - please, Pearl Jam fans, step out of your "grunge" circumference & comfort zone.
    Dust is slighty above a decent album, too full of cliches for it to even be pretty good.

If it's such a masterpiece, how come hardly anyone gives a shit about Dust? Because it's not - you all just like the sound 'cus it fits in with the Pj type sound of the 90s.

To each their own. Some of those albums you listed suck. Thats my opinion, and I am sticking to it. I do think Morrison Hotel and On the Beach are great albums though. Please o masterful one, help me out of the Grunge era. lol
    Light green to green, dark green, brown..
    Every life is falling down
    Brown to black, it's coming back
    Dies to be part of the ground
    Seed to seedling, root to stem
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Coltrane - Love Supreme
    Strange to see those mentioned together. The former is a peerless masterpiece, the latter an acceptable album from a band who made much better music on other albums.

Also, quit it with your fucking "I know more about music than you people" bullshit. I guarantee you I could go toe to toe with you any day on that front and I don't feel the need to be condescending to people here.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • strummersstrummers Posts: 2,611
    Jeremy1012 wrote:

Also, quit it with your fucking "I know more about music than you people" bullshit. I guarantee you I could go toe to toe with you any day on that front and I don't feel the need to be condescending to people here.

What he said.
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    http://www.strummersphotography.com

<object width="360" height="300"><param name="movie" value="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><PARAM NAME=FlashVars VALUE="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow"><embed src="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf&quot; FlashVars="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="360" height="300"></embed></object>
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Name SOME of these albums? That's it? Just some? Out of the hundreds & possibly thousands of albums in existance better than Dust?

Where to begin? Well known albums? Lesser known albums? So many albums better than Dust... I'll just look at my album collection & randomly choose them.

Coltrane - Love Supreme
    Tom Waits - Rain Dogs

Should I just keep going on forever? Because I really could. All those albums above + hundreds or thousands more are better than 'Dust', yet here you all are, talking about what a "masterpiece" it is - please, Pearl Jam fans, step out of your "grunge" circumference & comfort zone.
    Dust is slighty above a decent album, too full of cliches for it to even be pretty good.

If it's such a masterpiece, how come hardly anyone gives a shit about Dust? Because it's not - you all just like the sound 'cus it fits in with the Pj type sound of the 90s.

I barely know where to start. Ok for a start as was pointed out by someone else, Evil Empire has a handfull of good songs, but it is unquestionably their weakest album, nowhere even approaching the two albums either side of it.

Secondly, you first said "Lesser known" albums, then went on to say if Dust was so good how come hardly anyone gives a shit about it - a complete contradiction. Either you respect the opinions of the masses or you don't, but you can't use both to substantiate your argument. For the record I don't need Rollingstone, NME or any other critic to tell me whether my favourite albums are 'good' or not. I would take the Afghan Whigs' Black Love album over ANYTHING John Lennon ever put his name to.

Who are you to presume why people like an album anyway? Have you any idea how arrogant you sound presuming that we are all stuck in some 90's time warp just becasue we happen to like a particular album from that era? Like Jeremy said, plenty of these people you are so quick to dismiss as just 'grunge' fans, have a diverse taste in music and yet still have no problem enjoying Dust.

The reason I like Dust so much and thus think it's a masterpiece, is becasue I think the songs fit together so perfectly. Whilst still diverse, there is a common theme or vibe to the album that gives it a real cohesiveness, and for me evokes a very distinct feeling. In my opinion only 'good' albums are able to strike up that feeling, to the point where you can't quite put your finger on what it is that makes it so moving - that's why the odd cliched lyric wouldn't put me off, because that record, in my opinion, is more than the sum of its parts.
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Strange to see those mentioned together. The former is a peerless masterpiece, the latter an acceptable album from a band who made much better music on other albums.

I didn't pair those 2 together to show they were equal or even close to equal in quality. I paired them together randomly to show they're both better than Dust. Pay attention next time you're privledged enough to read a post from me.

I do know more about music than you people - whether it comes to playing it, or the history of it, or listening to it.
    "Why stand when you can sit?" - Winston Churchill
    "Why sit when you can dance?" - Me
  • I barely know where to start. Ok for a start as was pointed out by someone else, Evil Empire has a handfull of good songs, but it is unquestionably their weakest album, nowhere even approaching the two albums either side of it.

Secondly, you first said "Lesser known" albums, then went on to say if Dust was so good how come hardly anyone gives a shit about it - a complete contradiction. Either you respect the opinions of the masses or you don't, but you can't use both to substantiate your argument. For the record I don't need Rollingstone, NME or any other critic to tell me whether my favourite albums are 'good' or not. I would take the Afghan Whigs' Black Love album over ANYTHING John Lennon ever put his name to.

Who are you to presume why people like an album anyway? Have you any idea how arrogant you sound presuming that we are all stuck in some 90's time warp just becasue we happen to like a particular album from that era? Like Jeremy said, plenty of these people you are so quick to dismiss as just 'grunge' fans, have a diverse taste in music and yet still have no problem enjoying Dust.

The reason I like Dust so much and thus think it's a masterpiece, is becasue I think the songs fit together so perfectly. Whilst still diverse, there is a common theme or vibe to the album that gives it a real cohesiveness, and for me evokes a very distinct feeling. In my opinion only 'good' albums are able to strike up that feeling, to the point where you can't quite put your finger on what it is that makes it so moving - that's why the odd cliched lyric wouldn't put me off, because that record, in my opinion, is more than the sum of its parts.

It doesn't matter if Evil Empire is RATM's weakest album - all 3 RATM albums are better than Dust, so it's irrelevant. I just picked Evil Empire randomly.. Like I said, there are too many albums better than Dust to list.

If Dust is a masterpiece, your standard of music must be low.
  • PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    It doesn't matter if Evil Empire is RATM's weakest album - all 3 RATM albums are better than Dust, so it's irrelevant. I just picked Evil Empire randomly.. Like I said, there are too many albums better than Dust to list.

Like others have said, that is your opinion. I see threads on this board all the time talking about bands or albums that I don't care for. I just don't comment. If you think our music standards are so low, why do you continue to post here? Why don't you go to a board where everyone is as smart as you?
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    I do know more about music than you people - whether it comes to playing it, or the history of it, or listening to it.

You know more about "listening to music", ha ha ha ha! Yeah there's a real art to pressing play on a fucking stereo. How you could possibly make such a statement when you know so little about people's tastes is fucking laughable. Man, if our musical tastes are all so rudimentary, why are you even bothering to spend your time on this baord? Go wank over a copy of nme.
  • PJGARDEN wrote:
    Like others have said, that is your opinion. I see threads on this board all the time talking about bands or albums that I don't care for. I just don't comment. If you think our music standards are so low, why do you continue to post here? Why don't you go to a board where everyone is as smart as you?

There's no board I can go to where everyone is as smart as me - I am way way way way too super smart to find a board like that.

Also, I really do want to point out that looks-wise, I am quite gorgeous aswell.
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    There's no board I can go to where everyone is as smart as me - I am way way way way too super smart to find a board like that.

Also, I really do want to point out that looks-wise, I am quite gorgeous aswell.

I recognize a professional ass when I read one. I like the cut of your jib sailor, even if we do disagree about Dust.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
    I didn't pair those 2 together to show they were equal or even close to equal in quality. I paired them together randomly to show they're both better than Dust. Pay attention next time you're privledged enough to read a post from me.

I recognise now that your posts are, at least in part, a joke but seriously, I'm pretty sure I could match you in any kind of competitive "how much do you know about music" competition if I was as much a twat as you. Thing is, I'm not so you'll never know. I like these people here and have no desire to belittle them and act as if I'm better than them. Maybe you should think about going elsewhere.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569

Coltrane - Love Supreme
    Tom Waits - Rain Dogs

You know to some peoples ears Boyzone albums are masterpieces, as the expression goes to each their own.
    But since your so smart I'm probably wasting my time and energy writing this as your already well aware.

Hey! there is a zebra crossing over there, go and prove Black is White and vice versa.;)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • You know to some peoples ears Boyzone albums are masterpieces, as the expression goes to each their own.
    But since your so smart I'm probably wasting my time and energy writing this as your already well aware.

Hey! there is a zebra crossing over there, go and prove Black is White and vice versa.;)

Zebra's were brought to the United States of America by slaves to help them with their work. When slaves were picking cotton, they'd load barrels of it on the backs of zebra's, who would carry it to white masters waiting by the porch.

I don't know what "boyzone" is, I assume it's some kind of paintball factory - I don't like guns.
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    if i had to choose between hearing "dust" or the voice of the lord jesus christ welcoming me to everlasting salvation... i would choose "dust" :p
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
    Zebra's were brought to the United States of America by slaves to help them with their work. When slaves were picking cotton, they'd load barrels of it on the backs of zebra's, who would carry it to white masters waiting by the porch.

I don't know what "boyzone" is, I assume it's some kind of paintball factory - I don't like guns.

Zebra Crossing = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zebra_crossing

Boyzone = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boyzone
    sgossard3 wrote:
    if i had to choose between hearing "dust" or the voice of the lord jesus christ welcoming me to everlasting salvation... i would choose "dust" :p

Haha!! That's weird....I thought it was the same voice :)
    PJGARDEN wrote:
    Haha!! That's weird....I thought it was the same voice :)

The two disc best of Lanegan and Related music I compiled t'other week:

Disc 1:

Dollar Bill w/ The Trees
    The Stations w/The Twins
    Long Gone Day w/Mad Season
    Gospal Plow w/The Trees
    Ghost of You and Me w/Soulsavers
    No Easy Action
    Miracle
    In The Fade w/QOTSA
    Carnival
    Idle Hands w/The Twins
    More or Less w/The Trees
    Kingdom of Rain w/Soulsavers
    Shooting Gallery
    Methamphetamine Blues
    Precious and Grace w/QOTSA
    Black Sun Morning w/The Trees
    Dont Forget Me
    Anita Grey w/ The Trees
    Front Street w/The Twins

Disc 2

When Your Number isnt Up
    One Way Street
    Circle The Fringes w/The Twins
    Ivy w/The Trees
    Hit The City
    Hanging Tree w/QOTSA
    Paper Money w/Soulsavers
    Come To Me
    Dying Days w/The Trees
    Revolver w/Isobell Campbell
    Jesus of Nothing w/Soulsavers
    Dime Western w/The Trees
    Gods Children w/The Twins
    Riding the Nightingale
    Wedding Dress
    Circus is Leaving Town w/Isobel Campbell
    Troubled Times w/The Trees
    God is in the Radio w/QOTSA

It makes for pretty awesome listening.:)

Disc 1:

Dollar Bill w/ The Trees
    The Stations w/The Twins
    Gospal Plow w/The Trees
    No Easy Action
    Miracle
    In The Fade w/QOTSA
    Carnival
    Idle Hands w/The Twins
    More or Less w/The Trees
    Shooting Gallery
    Methamphetamine Blues
    Dont Forget Me
    Anita Grey w/ The Trees
    Front Street w/The Twins

Disc 2

When Your Number isnt Up
    One Way Street
    Ivy w/The Trees
    Hit The City
    Hanging Tree w/QOTSA
    Paper Money w/Soulsavers
    Come To Me
    Dying Days w/The Trees
    Dime Western w/The Trees
    Riding the Nightingale
    Wedding Dress

no "song for the dead"?? thats a solid collection of songs tho... great career so far! as much as i like greg i wanna see him get back to his solo stuff... "bubblegum" is my favorite of his work

Disc 1:

Dollar Bill w/ The Trees
    The Stations w/The Twins
    Gospal Plow w/The Trees
    No Easy Action
    Miracle
    In The Fade w/QOTSA
    Carnival
    Idle Hands w/The Twins
    More or Less w/The Trees
    Shooting Gallery
    Methamphetamine Blues
    Dont Forget Me
    Anita Grey w/ The Trees
    Front Street w/The Twins

Disc 2

When Your Number isnt Up
    One Way Street
    Ivy w/The Trees
    Hit The City
    Hanging Tree w/QOTSA
    Paper Money w/Soulsavers
    Come To Me
    Dying Days w/The Trees
    Dime Western w/The Trees
    Riding the Nightingale
    Wedding Dress

Nice List! I think I would have to add Lexington Slowdown and Morning Glory Wine in there but that is pretty amazing Lanegan compilation. May steel this from you when making my next playlist!
  • bladworth116bladworth116 Posts: 344
    I blew my car stereo speakers while cranking "All I Know". Dust is incredible. It flows great and every track is a gem.
  • I blew my car stereo speakers while cranking "All I Know". Dust is incredible. It flows great and every track is a gem.

Every track is a gem?.... Are you a fucking druggie???! You've got to be KIDDING me.

HOW CAN PEOPLE HAVE SUCH LOW STANDARDS OF MUSIC?!
    Every track is a gem?.... Are you a fucking druggie???! You've got to be KIDDING me.

the real question is why do you fuckin care?

while youre busy listing off all the album that are presumably better (tom waits is overrated btw) how bout you try listing everything thats worse than dust... it would be a far longer list

youre clearly outnumbered here... i wouldnt say dust is amongst my favorite albums but its definitely enjoyable... besides its all opinion

• DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    love this album. definitely beats out oblivion
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    Gutter Twins - Saturnalia
    Soulsavers - It's Not How Far You Fall...
    Solo - Bubblegum

Everyone should own these
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119

I think Evil Empire is their best
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683

Coltrane - Love Supreme
    Tom Waits - Rain Dogs
    You only 'randomly' chose one lesser known album in this list.

Morrison Hotel is flawed.

Evil Empire(???) has 4 decent tracks: Bulls on Parade, Tire Me, People of the Sun and Without a Face. The rest wouldn't get near their debut, which I don't consider to be better than Dust either.

EDIT.
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    because you're not a very nice person.
    Jeremy, edit your post... no point in getting banned over this idiot. :)
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
    Jeremy, edit your post... no point in getting banned over this idiot. :)
    I was VERY, VEEEERY drunk when I wrote that :rolleyes:

Still, the sentiment stands :)
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I was VERY, VEEEERY drunk when I wrote that :rolleyes:

Still, the sentiment stands :)
    I sorta figured. :D But between the two of you, he's not the one I'd prefer to have around. :p
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.