Options

Grunge

stargazer_stargazer_ Posts: 9
edited February 2006 in Other Music
This subject has probably been taken up many times here :)
But I'm new and.. I'm just curious about what everybody here thinks about this genre.

Is it really a musicstyle? Or more like a lifestyle?
Which bands can you put into this "box"? Was it media that created grunge, or was it Kurt Cobain? Does Pearl Jam fit in to the grunge-genre?

I have some opinions about this..But never been able to discuss it with anyone. So.. No attacks;) I'm just curious.
heaven beside you - hell within
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    toastertoaster Posts: 152
    Yeah, probably been discussed to death here :)
    Anyway, I think "it's more of a term to reference a certain time of period", as Susan Silver once said. That pretty much summed up my thoughts on it.

A lot of people I've been talking to are seeing it as a music-genre, but really I don't see it as that. Lots of guitars and stuff, yes, but apart from that I can't really see anything similarities between those bands, they just loved music. I would've described it as rock. Plain and simple, it's too hard to try to divide bands into genres anyway, so why bother, right? :)

I don't really see it as a life-style either. It's just a bunch of bands and an underground "scene", if you can call it that, that suddenly were noticed and became overly-popular by the media. I don't think Kurt Cobain invented it, I don't really think anyone invented it. It seems like it just sort of happened, like they were just living their lives, trying to do what they loved and to get success (in terms of being able to live off it), and sometime along the line someone decided to call it "grunge".

And what bands you can define as "grunge"? Anyone of the bands making music in Seattle at that time and being in on that "scene-thingy" - according to my thinking anyway.
    I would say early grunge: Green River. Grunge: Mudhoney, Soundgarden, Tad, Alice In Chains, Nirvana, Pearl Jam and so on.

I'm not saying I'm right though, just saying what my mind somehow came up with right now. :D So what are you thinking about this whole grunge thing?
  • Options
    Hi :) Thanks for the answer. Yes.. I guessed that about everyone who's new here asks that question. I guess that's something you have to live with if you've been in a forum for a long time.. ;)

I agree with you about almost everything you wrote. But; when people ask med which music-genre I like most, I use to say Grunge (because many people knows which bands that is related to that genre). But I agree that, listening to the "sound" or the songs, these bands have not so much in common. But, all of those bands which are related to grunge, that I have heard, are really great :) So.. I think it's OK to call grunge a music style, but if you know that (like you said), it's more rock music made by bands who's from about the same area in the same timeperiod.
    And if you talk about "grunge"-inspried music from a later timeperiod, can you call it post-grunge then? Like nickelback, verve pipe and staind? I've heard that expression, and I think that makes sense.

Hard to explain this in english :) But I try my best.. hehe
    heaven beside you - hell within
  • Options
    haha. yep. guess that's just the way it is. and everyone's been new here sometime so..

I don't know about the post-grunge thing. I've heard that expression too, so I guess that could be right :) yeah, I've often said I'm into that whole grunge thingy myself, but it doesn't really help at all, since people around here doesn't know what grunge is, music related. :rolleyes:

Haha, and you probably could just as well have written in swedish. Your language is quite cool actually. Jättecool ;)
  • Options
    we all hate grunge, and we all hate Pearl jam
    Run to the hills
    run for your life
  • Options
    surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    Grunge, a term created by the marketing department when they thought rock n' roll was no longer cool. Grunge is just rock n' roll brought to you by the marketing department. Maybe if we rename it people will buy it, because you know it's a good product but it's just not cool any more to call it rock n' roll.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    surferdude wrote:
    Grunge, a term created by the marketing department when they thought rock n' roll was no longer cool. Grunge is just rock n' roll brought to you by the marketing department. Maybe if we rename it people will buy it, because you know it's a good product but it's just not cool any more to call it rock n' roll.

I heard it was Mark Arm. But then again, I heard this on MTV so...
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    toaster wrote:
    I heard it was Mark Arm. But then again, I heard this on MTV so...
    yeah the story i heard was that Mark Arm reviewed a gig of his own band (pre-green river) in a magazine in order to drum up publicity and described their sound as "grungy"
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"