Options

REM Appreciation Thread

Rob89Rob89 Posts: 22
edited February 2006 in Other Music
Anybody here like REM?

Huge fan here and just wandering am i alone?!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I think there are more than a few pretty big R.E.M. fans around here, myself certainly not least among them.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • Options
    I could guess it from your name;)

Well, let me start off a different way.................

Anyone seen them live last year?
  • Options
    oldermanolderman Posts: 1,765
    i have always been an r.e.m. fan

dig it.

"that's me in the corner
    that's me in the spotlight,
    losing my religion..."

and..

"You've got a little worry,
    I know it all too well,
    I've got your number,
    but so does every kiss-and-tell
    who dares to cross your threshold,
    or happens on your way,
    Stop laying blame.
    You know that's not my thing."

and many, many more great tunes.. :)
    Down the street you can hear her scream youre a disgrace
    As she slams the door in his drunken face
    And now he stands outside
    And all the neighbours start to gossip and drool
    He cries oh, girl you must be mad,
    What happened to the sweet love you and me had?
    Against the door he leans and starts a scene,
    And his tears fall and burn the garden green
  • Options
    I could guess it from your name;)

Well, let me start off a different way.................

Anyone seen them live last year?

I saw them in the fall of 2004 in Nashville and Atlanta, I don't think they actually played any dates in the US last year, but damned if they didn't play everywhere else on the globe. At some point people in the US stopped giving a damn about REM and everyone in Europe did, which is amusing cause back in the day when they first started out it was the other way around.

I love REM, they are one of my 2 favorite bands along with Pearl Jam.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • Options
    I know, in Europe they're still huge! Especially in Ireland!............I got to see them 3 times last year!

You saw them in 2004. Was that the 'white suit' stage?! :)
  • Options
    rem in kc in 2003 played starlight theater. it's an outdoor venue with just under 8,000 seats. it has NO lawn seats. excellent venue. i hope pj decides that this is the place to play in kc.
  • Options
    Ye olderman, i love Bang and Blame too. Such a pity they never play it live anymore! Along with Crush With Eyeiner and Strange Currencies from Monster!
  • Options
    olderman wrote:
    rem in kc in 2003 played starlight theater. it's an outdoor venue with just under 8,000 seats. it has NO lawn seats. excellent venue. i hope pj decides that this is the place to play in kc.

They were brilliant in the Greatest hits tour. Really on form. Last years tour was bril too. Loved the whole 'Zorro' mask thing Michael had going on!:)
  • Options
    I know, in Europe they're still huge! Especially in Ireland!............I got to see them 3 times last year!

You saw them in 2004. Was that the 'white suit' stage?! :)

Um I really don't remember that exactly, I know Michael had the black stripe painted across his face every night, that was interesting. Those were pretty good shows, not as good as the two I saw in 2003, but they still kicked ass. They closed the main set both nights with Life and How to Live it, which was just killer.

For some reason (other than Vote for Change) they never come to Florida. They last time they played here was the damn Monster tour. So I keep having to make road trips to see them.
  • Options
    rockpantsrockpants BC Posts: 838
    Unfortunately, I've only seen them play a shortened set at Groundwork. They came to Vancouver in '03 but I had to work that night (Friday), but radiohead played the same venue the next night and Michael came out to sing Karma Police during the encore. It was rad.

I can't say I'm a huge fan, I only have 3 records, but I'll get them all eventually. My favourite song is from Automatic for the People, "Try Not to Breathe."
  • Options
    I remember when they played Vancouver with Radiohead playing the next night... that had to be fucking killer...

A friend of mine saw them on the Monster tour with Radiohead opening... goddamnit I was only like 13 at the time and had no way of getting there or getting tickets, but I am still fucking jealous of that.
  • Options
    bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,069
    I am always in on the REM threads...best alternative band ever.
  • Options
    OmaramaOmarama Posts: 267
    REM are awesome.the great beyond is probably my fav REM song at the mo.
    Monty Got a Raw Deal

" makes much more sense to live in the present tense "
  • Options
    Ye olderman, i love Bang and Blame too. Such a pity they never play it live anymore! Along with Crush With Eyeiner and Strange Currencies from Monster!

r.e.m. is one of the few bands (in the here and now) that can favorably compare with our pj.. yes, OUR PJ :)

peace
  • Options
    olderman wrote:
    r.e.m. is one of the few bands (in the here and now) that can favorably compare with our pj.. yes, OUR PJ :)

peace

I don't think any band in recent times has a catalog that is both as extensive and as good as R.E.M. I am glad PJ seems to be sort of looking up to them, they are definitely the kind of band to model one's career after. They have more great albums than just about any band I can think of from their era, or a lot of other eras.
  • Options
    Noisy cats are we

Love older REM, miss the Byrds-like guitar sound and Stipe's mumbling but New Adventures in Hi-Fi kicks ass.

Life's Rich Pageant tour (Taft Theatre, Cincinnati) still is one of my favorite concerts.
    PJ Cincy 00, Lex 03, Columbus 03, Hershey 03, Benaroya 03, Boston 9/28/04, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, St.L 04, Asheville 04, Kitchener 05, London 05, Hamilton 05, Montreal 05, Ottawa 05, Philly 05, Chicago I & II 06, Cincy 06, Las Vegas 06, SD 06, EV LA2 08, Columbia 08, Camden I & II 08
  • Options
    pipedreams wrote:
    Noisy cats are we

Love older REM, miss the Byrds-like guitar sound and Stipe's mumbling but New Adventures in Hi-Fi kicks ass.

Life's Rich Pageant tour (Taft Theatre, Cincinnati) still is one of my favorite concerts.

New Adventures is my favorite REM record, and probably one of my favorite records ever by and band.

But the old stuff is great too, LRP and Document was a killer one-two punch. Would have loved to have seen the band back then. But sadly I was only a small child...
  • Options
    I really like R.E.M. I really don't know what the deal is with everyone hating them and calling them gay and shit. They have tons of great songs. Oh well...
  • Options
    I was listening to Country Feedback from Out of Time when I saw this thread...REM is godlike! I wasn't impressed with their last album at all, but i'm hopeful for their next venture.
    ...it's crazy whatchya could've had...
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.
  • Options
    RVM1978RVM1978 Leesburg, FL Posts: 320
    I've had constant arguments with my friends about how important R.E.M.'s first 5 albums are to alternative rock. I still say "R.E.M.'s first five albums are to alternative rock what Led Zeppelin's first five albums are to hard rock". They are essential.
    08/12/2000 - Tampa, FL; 04/09/2003 - Birmingham, AL; 04/11/2003 - West Palm Beach, FL
    04/13/2003 - Tampa, FL; 10/08/2004 - Kissimmee, FL; 05/16 & 17/2006 - Chicago, IL;
    05/19/2006 - Grand Rapids, MI; 05/22/2006 - Auburn Hills, MI; 08/05/2007 - Chicago, IL;
    05/03/2010 - Kansas City, MO; 07/19/2013 - Chicago, IL; 04/13/16 - Jacksonville, FL;
  • Options
    Just got done listening to Murmur. Love R.E.M.
  • Options
    Michael's voice is like a fine wine, just keeps getting better. Saw them live in Calgary Nov 2004, totally killer. I'm one of the rare people who believes that Up, Reveal, and Around the Sun hold their own in the R.E.M. catalogue. They are uncompromising in that they never create the same album twice. I think these guys are the fucking "greatest thing since bread came sliced". I'd love to see Bill behind the skins for the next record, but either way they won't dissappoint.
  • Options
    Well for me personally I like UP. I think it's a really beautiful album in every way. I think they still would have made it like they had even with Berry still in the band. Reveal I like the songs but those versions I just don't like. With Around The Sun I don't really like any of the songs on it and it's terribly over produced in my opinion. So for me I feel UP is one of their best because it's like nothing else in their catalogue and it's just a great record imo. First one with all the lyrics printed as well. Green just had World Leader Pretend.
  • Options
    Well for me personally I like UP. I think it's a really beautiful album in every way. I think they still would have made it like they had even with Berry still in the band. Reveal I like the songs but those versions I just don't like. With Around The Sun I don't really like any of the songs on it and it's terribly over produced in my opinion. So for me I feel UP is one of their best because it's like nothing else in their catalogue and it's just a great record imo. First one with all the lyrics printed as well. Green just had World Leader Pretend.

I love Up as well, I think it is probably my 3rd favorite of the their records, and I love pretty much all of their albums, all 12 of them. And I totally agree that Around the Sun was overproduced and overthought, those weren't bad songs in their own right, they sounded good live, but on the record they are sterile and boring as hell.
  • Options
    I really like Reveal, even more than Up. I know that for the most part I'm alone on that view but as far as I'm concerned, any album that has, 'Ive Been High', 'She Just Wants To Be', 'Imitation of Life', 'Beat a Drum' and 'Ill Take The Rain' has to be recognised.

As far as Bill, I've been hearing A LOT of rumours lately that the band he's slowly starting to get back into the mix and starting to work with the guys more. I know the rumour has been going around since he left but this time around, it seems different. He recently played at a wedding and Peter's been talking about him coming back for their lifetime achievement award in athens this year to play with them. Playing withthem twice in such a short period! Oh, and Mike when asked, said that he's started dabbling with the drums again! Maybe just wishful thinking on my behalf, but sometime in the future I really do see him rejoining.
  • Options
    keyser_sozekeyser_soze London, England Posts: 205
    i really love rem but have been seriously disappointed by the last two albums.
    www.facebook.com/PandoraApparel
  • Options
    I FUCKING LOVE REM!!!!!

I'm listening to Document at the moment, such an incredible record. I've been lucky enough to see them four times live now, and they are just fantastic, certainly the most consistent live band I've seen, other than Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    Pearl JuliPearl Juli Posts: 1,213
    I like 'em. I hope they tour the USA soon.
    MISSION ACCOMPLISHED: 2008-06-11

♪ Juli ♪
  • Options
    i would appreciate REM if they

1. Cut the CRAP and stopped making Radiohead inspired suck albums that border on easy listening. They used to ROCK ... now they just make me sleepy.

2. LOWERED THEIR TICKET PRICES!

REM is quite possibly THE FIRST band I ever appreciated ... I would listen to Green and Lifes Rich Pagent on tape cassette while taking family trips in my pre-teen years ... I viewed Michael Stipe as like my long lost older brother or something ...

but i've only ever seen them during their performance at the Freedom Concert in '98 ... (which, BTW, wasn't all that great) ...

... i've heard they are good live, but i've also heard the opposite ... and either way ... i'm not willing to find out for the prices they charge ...

... it just irks me ...

... besides, like Jane's Addiction, to me it feels like somethings just wouldn't be the same as they were 10 years ago ... I don't want to here Airport Man or The Boy In The Well ... i just don't.

sorry,
    i guess i still appreciate REM, but never have i felt like a band left me to head in the wrong direction of everything i thought they were ...

i have so far followed pearl jam around every bend ... but Stipe lost me after UP, and even that was a bit of a stretch on the whole.

:(
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    i would appreciate REM if they

1. Cut the CRAP and stopped making Radiohead inspired suck albums that border on easy listening. They used to ROCK ... now they just make me sleepy.

2. LOWERED THEIR TICKET PRICES!

REM is quite possibly THE FIRST band I ever appreciated ... I would listen to Green and Lifes Rich Pagent on tape cassette while taking family trips in my pre-teen years ... I viewed Michael Stipe as like my long lost older brother or something ...

but i've only ever seen them during their performance at the Freedom Concert in '98 ... (which, BTW, wasn't all that great) ...

... i've heard they are good live, but i've also heard the opposite ... and either way ... i'm not willing to find out for the prices they charge ...

... it just irks me ...

... besides, like Jane's Addiction, to me it feels like somethings just wouldn't be the same as they were 10 years ago ... I don't want to here Airport Man or The Boy In The Well ... i just don't.

sorry,
    i guess i still appreciate REM, but never have i felt like a band left me to head in the wrong direction of everything i thought they were ...

i have so far followed pearl jam around every bend ... but Stipe lost me after UP, and even that was a bit of a stretch on the whole.

:(

You should reconsider. At their shows they focus mainly on the older favorites as opposed to the newer material. It is damn expensive though, but it's worth it. Their energy level certainly hasn't gone down and they don't play stuff like Airportman live.