Just listened to Purple and Tiny Music

vuman4223vuman4223 Posts: 11
edited November 2006 in Other Music
I just finished listening to these two great albums from Stone Temple Pilots and couldn't help but think how great they both were. To me they are very different albums. I can't believe I went so long without listening to either one of them. Tell me what you all think of Purple and Tiny Music.
I will scream my lungs out till it fills this room.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    vuman4223 wrote:
    I just finished listening to these two great albums from Stone Temple Pilots and couldn't help but think how great they both were. To me they are very different albums. I can't believe I went so long without listening to either one of them. Tell me what you all think of Purple and Tiny Music.

Both phenomenal albums. Stone Temple Pilots were easily my favorite band for about 10 years. I was entirely obssessed. Since their demise its been harder to be as passionate about them, but I still love their work and anxiously wait for a reunion.

About these two abulms specifically. They are incredible. Purple is just one of the best albums of all time, arguably the best sophmore album of a group. So strong musically and lyrically, and STP really began to add the psychedellic element to their sound on this one (see Army Ants, Kitchenware & Candybars, Still Remains, etc). I love Tiny Music, if I had to pick a favorite STP album, this would probably be it. The music, the lyrics everything. So fucking good. They were really on top of their game song-writing wise when this came out. Its too bad they (Scott) were going through so much then and could never really tour this album out. I think if they had they would have really kept their fan base much bigger, and really could have stayed on top/relevant in the music scene.

Thanks for giving me a chance to talk STP. I fucking love those guys.

:D
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I've never really got into STP, but I am starting to listen to these albums again. In a couple weeks I should be able to give an accurate impression.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Tiny Music was the only STP album that I actually went out and bought and played to death. I just thought they distanced themselves with this album from that Seattle stigma that dogged them. Bing Bang Baby, Trippin in a Whole, 7 Caged Tigers are some great songs.
    "This guy back here is giving me the ole one more....one more back to you buddy."

- Mr. Edward Vedder 7/11/03

• tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Great stuff.........two killler albums that seem to get stuck in the cd player if I ever put either in it. Great band........very solid in all facets. They were great in concert both times that I saw them. Purple is slightly better to me than Tiny Music......"Unglued" simply owns me.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
    tybird wrote:
    Great stuff.........two killler albums that seem to get stuck in the cd player if I ever put either in it.

"Moderation is masturbation" :D
  • tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
    i´m been a stp fan since their first great and critisized album Core, i think purple is a more diverse and complete album than tiny music and core,
    in tiny music they´re going to a more mellow and poppish direction... beatlesque songs too...
  • I agree with the consensus here... I think Purple is really a masterpiece and I could listen to it all day long. Tiny Music has some really great songs but isn't quite as strong song-for-song as Purple, but they are definitely 1-2 in my opinion for STP's albums.
  • tiny music is one of my fav albums of all-time. it's one of the best guitar records since a zeppelin album. dean and robert create this psychedelic garage vibe that is matchless.
  • All of STP rocks man...always have like them...I like Core especially
    Master of Zen
    tiny music is one of my fav albums of all-time. dean and robert create this psychedelic garage vibe that is matchless.

So very true.
  • Purple is an absolutely breathtaking album, and Tiny Music sounds like no other album I've heard. It just has an aura all its own. Adhesive is one of the most gut-wrenchingly honest songs of the 90's...kinda like STP's Junkhead.

I know it's not STP, but have a listen to the samples from the upcoming Army of Anyone album...sounds like the Deleo's have another amazing record in store

http://shop.coconuts.com/product.aspx?sku=203106227&loc=41159
  • I agree with everyone else here...Purple blew me away when it was released and I still love listening to it today. Absolutely incredible album. Tiny Music is also very good, but I've never appreciated it nearly as much as Purple.
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

(Shawn Smith's official website, but not Thee Shawn Smith)
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Love all of STP's records. It amazes me the way they all sound completely different from each other, from Scott's voice to the DeLeo's tone. Each record almost sounds like it came from a different band.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
    Flagg wrote:
    Love all of STP's records. It amazes me the way they all sound completely different from each other, from Scott's voice to the DeLeo's tone. Each record almost sounds like it came from a different band.

Almost, but you can always tell its them. I think that's part of what made STP so special. Alwasy able to reinvent themselves, but able to retain their essesnce.
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    yosi wrote:
    Almost, but you can always tell its them. I think that's part of what made STP so special. Alwasy able to reinvent themselves, but able to retain their essesnce.

Yeah, agreed. I miss them. I only got to see them once and it was like their 2nd or 3rd to last show.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
    Flagg wrote:
    Yeah, agreed. I miss them. I only got to see them once and it was like their 2nd or 3rd to last show.

Yea, I really miss them. I only got to see them once. It was on one of the later tours (I was a little young to have seen them more than once). I saw them at Hammerstein in '02.
  • mark armmark arm Posts: 962
    and both are fake alternative crap albums, heck, what else is new?
    11/25/05 - Buenos Aires
    11/26/05 - Buenos Aires
    11/28/05 - Porto Alegre, BR
    06/01/07 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/16/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/17/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/19/08 - Buenos Aires
    mark arm wrote:
    and both are fake alternative crap albums, heck, what else is new?

What does that even mean?
  • 2 amazing albuums. But then again all STP albums are great, Scott is on of the best.
    they were a crappy band that got into the bandwagon of the Seattle explosion or whatever that was. I mean, they claimed that they met each other at a Black Flag show in 1987 when the mighy Punk band disbanded in 1986 ! Phony rock and roll and corporate puppets.
    11/25/05 - Buenos Aires
    11/26/05 - Buenos Aires
    06/01/07 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/16/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/17/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/19/08 - Buenos Aires
  • 2 amazing albuums. But then again all STP albums are great, Scott is on of the best.

Agree
    "So, you must really love Led Zeppelin. That’s the oldest shirt I’ve ever seen on someone who wasn’t a bum."
    "Hey, if God didn’t want me to wear it so much, he wouldn’t have made them rock so hard."
  • DCGARDENDCGARDEN Posts: 515
    I remember Plush was blown out on the radio, but I still liked the tune. Core did'nt really do it for me, it sounded a little too much like a Pearl Jam / Nirvana bastard child, but it was Purple that seperated them for me. I spent a summer obsessed with that album. Tiny Music is terrific.
    I disliked No.4 , but really liked Shangri-La

I always liked Weilands melodies more than anything else with the band - The bass always had a distinct sound though
    I'll keep taking punches
    Untill their will grows tired
    mark arm wrote:
    they were a crappy band that got into the bandwagon of the Seattle explosion or whatever that was.

You could say that, but if you knew anything about the band you'd know that there is a demo tape from sometime in 1990 where a bunch of songs on it are the same ones from on Core. Meaning, that they had the sound before Pearl Jam existed and before Nirvana got huge with Nevermind. And anyway, their following albums are very different from that sound, and if you'd actually listen to the band you'd know that.
  • bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,113
    yosi wrote:
    You could say that, but if you knew anything about the band you'd know that there is a demo tape from sometime in 1990 where a bunch of songs on it are the same ones from on Core. Meaning, that they had the sound before Pearl Jam existed and before Nirvana got huge with Nevermind. And anyway, their following albums are very different from that sound, and if you'd actually listen to the band you'd know that.

I have that tape.
    bobasfeet wrote:
    I have that tape.

How fucking good is that tape? All the funk on there is awesome.
  • chris05chris05 Posts: 347
    "Purple is one of my all time favorite albums " Excellent from start to finish.
    Who cares if the world is going down the toilet? Eddie Vedder got his mojo back!
    yosi wrote:

and you should know that the Seattle explosion or whatever had its peak in 1989 when Mudhoney, TAD and another little band were "underground huge" in UK and Europe. And in 1990 Mother Crap Bone was already in a major label as well as Soundgarden so the writing was on the wall.

I liked STP when I was a little teenager and impressive young dude. When you grow up you realize of all of these phony rock groups.
    11/25/05 - Buenos Aires
    11/26/05 - Buenos Aires
    06/01/07 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/16/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/17/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/19/08 - Buenos Aires
  • mark arm wrote:
    and you should know that the Seattle explosion or whatever had its peak in 1989 when Mudhoney, TAD and another little band were "underground huge" in UK and Europe. And in 1990 Mother Crap Bone was already in a major label as well as Soundgarden so the writing was on the wall.

I liked STP when I was a little teenager and impressive young dude. When you grow up you realize of all of these phony rock groups.

Oh, how grown up you are!!! I'd love to know what you define as phony. What's wrong with a band that consistently produces well-written, extremely cohesive rock songs? Rob Deleo is one of the most impressive bassists and songwriters of the last 20 years. He occasionally gets his due, but mostly he and Dean's talent gets lost in the overall dislike of Weiland. Do tell what makes STP phony. As already stated, many of the songs that ended up on Core were written by 1989. Ever think that much of the similarity in the sound of all the alternative bands of the 90's had to do with the "hot" production values of the day?
  • ive been goin thru a big STP thing recently. love purple and No.4, only really just got tiny music and its taken a while to grow on me honestly. wish i had had the opportunity to see them...
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour: Member No.5-+--+
    ~~~~~http://www.myspace.com/breakerfallpj~~~~~

YieldInHiding: "RED DOT is an intermission...not "filler." I hate that word. Filler is what's in a Twinkie."
  • ive been goin thru a big STP thing recently. love purple and No.4, only really just got tiny music and its taken a while to grow on me honestly. wish i had had the opportunity to see them...

Same here..been listening to alot of STP lately...I've always like them though since the beginning and have never seen them live though..frig..
    Was actually gonna start a thread about STP..but..here it is
    Master of Zen