AC fuckin DC

paddypaddy Posts: 104
edited September 2007 in Other Music
I started listening to these guys again recently. They were the staple music of my youth and early teenage years. Yeah, I know, a long time ago. :)

Anyhow, my favourite album, by a country mile, is Powerage. An absolute hidden gem of an album. Very heavily influenced by blues and good old rock n' roll. One song stands out a mile, Gimme a bullet. Just brilliant.

Of course, it's Bon Scott's era. Those first 5 or 6 albums still kick ass. Brian Johnston had a lot to live to, He only succeeded on 2 albums, IMO. Back in Black and For those about to rock. After that, their music became a bit of a joke, really. Everything was an innuendo about women and sex. Pity.

Still the only major band of my youth left to see live. Rumour has it, they'll be releasing a new album next year. Hopefully, they'll be touring to back it up.
Hello, is there anybody in there?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• paddy wrote:
    I started listening to these guys again recently. They were the staple music of my youth and early teenage years. Yeah, I know, a long time ago. :)

Anyhow, my favourite album, by a country mile, is Powerage. An absolute hidden gem of an album. Very heavily influenced by blues and good old rock n' roll. One song stands out a mile, Gimme a bullet. Just brilliant.

Of course, it's Bon Scott's era. Those first 5 or 6 albums still kick ass. Brian Johnston had a lot to live to, He only succeeded on 2 albums, IMO. Back in Black and For those about to rock. After that, their music became a bit of a joke, really. Everything was an innuendo about women and sex. Pity.

Still the only major band of my youth left to see live. Rumour has it, they'll be releasing a new album next year. Hopefully, they'll be touring to back it up.

Had the pleasure and privalage of seeing AC/DC with Bon Scott. Saw them once with Brian Johnston, it was OK but Johnston/Angus didn't have the chemistry of Bon/Angus. The band lost their edge after Bon's death and should have called it a day or re-invented themselves.
    Bon wrote sleazy lyrics about women and booze but they were always delivered with a wink and a cheeky grin. I agree they are a joke band now, re-hashed riffs and crap lyrics. Can't listen to anything after Highway To Hell now, which is a shame.
  • mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    I love jailbreak. Bought the razors edge and it was pretty poo with only one or two decent tracks. Not got back in black yet.
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,183
    I waited on the entire band and road crew EXCEPT for Angus Young. He stayed on the bus. For a tip I got a bunch of tour stuff, t-shirts, drum sticks from Phil Rudd etc.

I believe it was the Flick Of The Switch Tour

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• I think I enjoyed the Brian Johnson era more than the rest of you guys, at least up until Fly On The Wall or Blow Up Your Video (mid-80s).

These guys do only one thing, and they do it better than anyone else. I love them.

Mole1985, go pick up Back in Black for chrissakes. Everyone should be required to own it. In fact, these four albums are pretty much essential:

Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
    Highway to Hell
    Back in Black
    For Those About to Rock

I'll admit that I've never owned a copy of Powerage. I should look into it.
    It is time to admit that we used to rock like hurricanes. It is time to run for the hills and go round and round. It is time for us to shout at the devil. We've got the right to choose it, there ain't no way we'll lose it, and we're not gonna take it anymore.
    - C. Klosterman
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    I have loved AC/DC my entire life of listening to music.
    We scream it in the car still to this day.
    My son has a shirt that says AB/CD with the AC/DC font with the lightening bolt in the center. It is hysterical.
    Love them..always will.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,891
    DocChicago wrote:
    I think I enjoyed the Brian Johnson era more than the rest of you guys, at least up until Fly On The Wall or Blow Up Your Video (mid-80s).

These guys do only one thing, and they do it better than anyone else. I love them.

Mole1985, go pick up Back in Black for chrissakes. Everyone should be required to own it. In fact, these four albums are pretty much essential:

Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
    Highway to Hell
    Back in Black
    For Those About to Rock

I'll admit that I've never owned a copy of Powerage. I should look into it.

Hell yea you should get Powerage! It's a great album. Rock and Roll Damnation is a great, great tune along with Downpayment Blues.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,183
    This October prepare to witness every stage of the world's most electrifying band with the release of AC/DC's brand new DVD PLUG ME IN. Available in a Two-Disc and Deluxe Three Disc DVD Set, PLUG ME IN chronicles some of AC/DC's most historical performances with rare and never-before-seen footage from both the Bon Scott and Brian Johnson eras. Included on each version are bonus features including vintage interviews, rehearsal footage and tour promo video. The Deluxe Three Disc Boxset features an expanded booklet and memorabilia reproductions!

Has anybody heard about this release of AC/DC DvD Plug Me In?

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• TrixieCat wrote:
    I have loved AC/DC my entire life of listening to music.
    We scream it in the car still to this day.
    My son has a shirt that says AB/CD with the AC/DC font with the lightening bolt in the center. It is hysterical.
    Love them..always will.

Same here, always loved them always will. Nothing beat driving around in my loud hot rod as a kid with my friends singing Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap! We used to scare the hell out of people. Angus Young is a lot better guitarist than many people give him credit for.
    To pie I will reply
    But mr. justam
    is who I am

"That's a repulsive combination of horrible information and bad breath."-Pickles

"Remember, death is a natural part of the workplace. So, when you see a dead body at work, don't freak out, just ring your death bell." "ting"-Toki Wartooth
  • JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    paddy wrote:

Big tick and elephant stamp for you Paddy! ;)
    That's pretty much my assessment of them too. :)

I LOVE Bon Scott AC/DC. I've got all the Bon Scott albums and only Back in Black and For Those About To Rock of the Brian Johnson albums. It all got a bit formulaic after that.
    I saw them YEARS ago, way back in the 80s, and they were awesome live but I missed Bon. (What am I saying? I still miss Bon! The man was a brilliant performer!) It was worth it to see Angus and there's nothing wrong with Brian Johnson, but he's no Bon.
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift