Options

R.E.M.- The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonight.

mookieveddermookievedder Posts: 22
edited March 2006 in Other Music
Who else loves this song? It's one of my favorite songs ever... was totally blown away when I heard it for the first time last summer. Michael Stipe is up there as far as vocalists go, clever and inventive. His voice has a great vibrato quality to it as well that gets me everytime... Anyways, I've just been addicted to this song lately.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    Well I love the whole album(do skip everybody hurts sometimes), great romantic memories with this album. I just put it on thanks for that. I'm not sure if I like sidewinder the best though. Great album.
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    "...nescafe and ice
    a candy bar
    a fallen star
    or a reading from Dr. Seuss..."

What a fun song that one is! You can't not enjoy Stipe's voice, especially on that track.
    Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    chris05chris05 Posts: 347
    This is a really catchy tune from R.E.M.
    Who cares if the world is going down the toilet? Eddie Vedder got his mojo back!
  • Options
    OmaramaOmarama Posts: 267
    yeah it's a really great song, i love the way michael kind of whines some of his lyrics,losing my relgion is a good example.
    Monty Got a Raw Deal

" makes much more sense to live in the present tense "
  • Options
    moxyfopmoxyfop Posts: 16
    Really really fantastic. I've been listening to a lot of r.e.m. lately, new adventures in hi-fi was never one of my favorites but I haven't been able to get it out of my player for almost a month now. In terms of r.e.m. I seem to go in album phases that last for months. Great stuff.
  • Options
    rockpantsrockpants BC Posts: 838
    I listened to AftP yesterday ... and I think I'll have to again. Like right now. I need more REM in my record collection.
  • Options
    kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    i like them all. right now i wish i could listen to reveal.
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • Options
    Rob89Rob89 Posts: 22
    Love the song, love the voice, love the band:)
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    I really, really like Reveal and think it's way underappreciated. It is way better than the last record they released. I feel Disappear is a Top 10 R.E.M. song all time
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    i, like, 'discovered' REM for myself a couple years ago when i took a chance on a "13 REM Albums" bit torrent file. Basically all of 2004 was REM for me.

I looooved (still do, i guess) this song, but since i didn't have any liner notes or lyrics to go with the albums, i had no idea what he was singing in the chorus. As far as i knew, he was singing, "Colby tallabaker." I finally checked it out on the internet (flips Al Gore a quarter;)), but I still like to sing the chorus 'my way' from time to time.
  • Options
    moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    Dashboard Confessional did an MTV2 thing where they covered songs from Automatic for the People, it was on a bonus DVD that came with a reissue of their last album. Pretty cool stuff. Stipe joined them on stage for Drive and DC's Hands Down.