Nickleback

eldermanelderman Posts: 180
edited December 2006 in Other Music
I am looking at the sales of the current Nickleback album in the US, its hitting 50,000 week in week out and is well over a year in the charts.
So I was wondering how could this be.
Last night a friend of mine had the cd and I listened to it.
OK now I know, its total commercial crap and yea thats what sells.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    yes nickleback are lame.

especially when the chad got rocks thrown at him and had to leave a festival. but come on they were supporting Slipknot and slayer

its somewhere on youtube.

There was also a funny article how they each of them thought they were in AIC
  • I read an interview with Kroger a while back, he said something about how his band had such a distinctive style... "People turn on the radio and immediately they know its us. We're kind of like AC/Dc... we're so original" or something.

What a twat, not only is he in one of the worst bands in the world, he also has his head up his arse.
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    For some obscure reason, I was given a Nickelback and an Iron Maiden cd (Silver side up & Dance of Death). Anyone want them?
  • I'd wipe my fucking ass with it.
  • Not a fan by any means but I respect how hard the guys in Nickelback worked for what they got. however they don't deserve as much credit as they recieve such as being on the same ballet as PJ and RHCP in the years American Music Awards. But that being said all the power to them and I personaly will stick to Pearl Jam, Phish, Allman Brothers, Grateful Dead, The Band, The Strokes Oasis, Gov't Mule etc yeah that sounds right I'll be over there is anyone asks..
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    I'd wipe my fucking ass with it.

Then you might find the cds useful, albeit a bit harsh and maybe sharp for your ass?
  • Marie CurieMarie Curie Posts: 1,250
    redrock wrote:
    Then you might find the cds useful, albeit a bit harsh and maybe sharp for your ass?

you could use it as a coaster
    “Life is life everywhere. Life is in ourselves and not outside us. There will be men beside me, and the important thing is to be a man among men and to remain a man always, whatever the misfortunes, not to despair and not to fall - that is the aim of life, that is its purpose.”
    Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  • Light it on fire!!
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    I can understand why people aren't fans of Nickelback, but I don't get the flat out hatred for them. They're a rock band on the radio, so that's better that most of what you hear when you turn the radio on.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • I BrisK I wrote:

especially when the chad got rocks thrown at him and had to leave a festival. but come on they were supporting Slipknot and slayer

that's fucking disgusting behavior. no matter how much you hate a band you dont throw fucking rocks at them.
  • SoupySoupy Posts: 171
    that's fucking disgusting behavior. no matter how much you hate a band you dont throw fucking rocks at them.

Maybe they wanted to hear some proper rock music?
  • parel jamparel jam Posts: 7,223
    redrock wrote:
    For some obscure reason, I was given a Nickelback and an Iron Maiden cd (Silver side up & Dance of Death). Anyone want them?

Put them in a microwave ;)
    ♪♫♪♫♫

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U_-WGNRyRzU

♪♫♪♫♫
  • AyedavanitaAyedavanita Posts: 1,443
    fanch75 wrote:
    I can understand why people aren't fans of Nickelback, but I don't get the flat out hatred for them. They're a rock band on the radio, so that's better that most of what you hear when you turn the radio on.

I wouldn't say better than anything I hear on the radio. I just wish that they didn't have so many songs out at once. I can't stand them, never could. Now it seems like when I listen to the radio, every other song is them. They all sound the same too.
    "You think I got my eyes closed but I'm lookin' at you the whole fuckin' time..."
  • Me and two of my close friends were sitting on the bus. On of them said that she only like a few of nickelback's songs and I said "they only have one song." that pretty much sums up whats wrong with them.
  • ruberry wrote:
    Me and two of my close friends were sitting on the bus. On of them said that she only like a few of nickelback's songs and I said "they only have one song." that pretty much sums up whats wrong with them.

nuh uh, thats one of the many, many things wrong with them.

they make me vomit on my sweater.
  • This is how I describe Nickelback to people when asked:

"They are the worst fuckin band that I have ever heard in my life. I despise them more than any band, EVER."

I have walked out of more than one place when they come on over the speakers in stores.
    Oh he fills it up with the love of a girl...
  • fanch75 wrote:
    well first off every song they put out sounds the same. their singer, if you can call him that, has the same "angry rocker", monotone voice on every song, even the slow ones. and second, they're a pop rock band, just another member of the commercial, pre-packaged bullshit music club that is so popular today. i don't turn on the radio because that's all i hear, terrible emo band, stupid pop music, and ridiculous "rock" bands. i should say though there are a handful of good musicians on the radio, which is it's only saving grace.
    1998 : 9/19
    2000 : 9/4
    2003 : 7/1
    2006 : 5/30
    2007 : 8/5
    2008 : 6/17; 6/19; 6/20; 6/22; 6/24; 6/25; 8/16 (EV); 8/21 (EV); 8/22 (EV)
    2009 : 6/11 (EV); 6/12 (EV); 8/23; 8/24; 10/27; 10/28; 10/30; 10/31
    2010 : 5/13
    2012 : 9/2; 9/21; 11/27 (EV); 11/28 (EV)
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,840
    You guys are obsessed with Nickleback. It's pretty lame to post about how much you hate a band. Guess what, millions of people buy Nickleback's records, while Pearl Jam can't sniff a million. I bet that makes you soooooo mad. Lame. You are all lame. Every last one of you.
    i don't turn on the radio because that's all hear, terrible emo band, stupid pop music, and ridiculous "rock" bands. i should say though there are a handful of good musicians on the radio, which is it's only saving grace.

Since when is rock music that important anyway? You act like "real" rock music is this holier than thou music style. Listen to classical music, music with substance. It's all relative. "Alive" and "Jeremy" are certainly not world changers. Maybe they are to you who justifies his life by his love of Pearl Jam and hatred for any "rock" bands.
  • You guys are obsessed with Nickleback. It's pretty lame to post about how much you hate a band. Guess what, millions of people buy Nickleback's records, while Pearl Jam can't sniff a million. I bet that makes you soooooo mad. Lame. You are all lame. Every last one of you.
    I hardly think one post in a thread constitues as "obsessed". And yes it does make me angry that Pearl Jam does not get the respect they deserve, but that's not what this thread is about, is it? And how again does that make me lame? Because i stated my opinion on this thread?... and isn't that exactly what you just did? hmmm... i think so.
    Since when is rock music that important anyway? You act like "real" rock music is this holier than thou music style. Listen to classical music, music with substance. It's all relative. "Alive" and "Jeremy" are certainly not world changers. Maybe they are to you who justifies his life by his love of Pearl Jam and hatred for any "rock" bands.
    First off I'm not a "he", i'm a "she", which should be obvious. Second, i never said rock music is "holier the thou", but it's something i enjoy very much and it bothers me when talentless bands are selling millions and millions of albums while bands that deserve it aren't. And I never said anything about "Alive" or "Jeremy" or any other Pearl Jam song for that matter. Oh and I respect your opinion, but don't tell me what music to listen to.
  • You guys are obsessed with Nickleback. It's pretty lame to post about how much you hate a band. Guess what, millions of people buy Nickleback's records, while Pearl Jam can't sniff a million. I bet that makes you soooooo mad. Lame. You are all lame. Every last one of you.

Who set the record for most cds sold in a five day period.

Yes it is...Pearl Jam
    Who set the record for most cds sold in a five day period.

Yes it is...Pearl Jam

Haha....is it 1994? I think N'Sync pretty much kicked that record's ass. Of course you don't know that, becuase it is 1994 right now.
    I hardly think one post in a thread constitues as "obsessed". And yes it does make me angry that Pearl Jam does not get the respect they deserve, but that's not what this thread is about, is it? And how again does that make me lame? Because i stated my opinion on this thread?... and isn't that exactly what you just did? hmmm... i think so.

First off I'm not a "he", i'm a "she", which should be obvious. Second, i never said rock music is "holier the thou", but it's something i enjoy very much and it bothers me when talentless bands are selling millions and millions of albums while bands that deserve it aren't. And I never said anything about "Alive" or "Jeremy" or any other Pearl Jam song for that matter. Oh and I respect your opinion, but don't tell me what music to listen to.

I just don't see the need to come onto a board and bash a band. What has it done to you? I'm not referring to you in general, but the many Nickleback threads that show up in general. I understand giving your opinions about a band, but most of you Nickleback haters take it to a new level, which is an ugly mix of jealousy and hate.

Somebody on here mentioned they leave a store because a Nickleback song comes on. Can you be a more pathetic loser. "Look how high I can thumb my nose. I'm so indie. I can't believe how much better I am than people who listen to Nickleback. Are they even people, or are they corporate machines? Eddie would call them corporate machines. Maybe I'll write Eddie, my dearest hero, about my corporate machines idea. Maybe he could write a lyric about it in one of his songs. Then I'll buy that record, and feel awesome because the song doesn't get played on the radio. I wonder if Eddie hates Nickleback? He certainly couldn't like them. I wonder if he is thinking about how bad Nickleback is, like I am right now. Man, it is like we are the same person. My neck is getting sore from keeping nose so high in the air. I bet Nickleback doesn't have this problem, since they are a bunch of corporate brownnosers. Haha, I'm funny. That reminds me, I should go on a message board and make fun of Dane Cook, so I can feel that I am funnier than everyone else. We all know that Bill Hicks was the greatest comedian ever. I'm smart enough to get his satirical humor. He was so political, just like my dear hero, Eddie."
  • I just don't see the need to come onto a board and bash a band. What has it done to you? I'm not referring to you in general, but the many Nickleback threads that show up in general. I understand giving your opinions about a band, but most of you Nickleback haters take it to a new level, which is an ugly mix of jealousy and hate.

Somebody on here mentioned they leave a store because a Nickleback song comes on. Can you be a more pathetic loser. "Look how high I can thumb my nose. I'm so indie. I can't believe how much better I am than people who listen to Nickleback. Are they even people, or are they corporate machines? Eddie would call them corporate machines. Maybe I'll write Eddie, my dearest hero, about my corporate machines idea. Maybe he could write a lyric about it in one of his songs. Then I'll buy that record, and feel awesome because the song doesn't get played on the radio. I wonder if Eddie hates Nickleback? He certainly couldn't like them. I wonder if he is thinking about how bad Nickleback is, like I am right now. Man, it is like we are the same person. My neck is getting sore from keeping nose so high in the air. I bet Nickleback doesn't have this problem, since they are a bunch of corporate brownnosers. Haha, I'm funny. That reminds me, I should go on a message board and make fun of Dane Cook, so I can feel that I am funnier than everyone else. We all know that Bill Hicks was the greatest comedian ever. I'm smart enough to get his satirical humor. He was so political, just like my dear hero, Eddie."
    Wow, okay i see where you're coming from. however none of that rant has any reason to do with why i don't like Nickelback. and i don't hate them at all, because you're right, they have never done anything to me personally, except make crappy music (of course, that's just my opinion), just like i did nothing to you personally but you still said i was lame.... not very nice. ;)
  • i dont mind nickelback, i wouldnt go out and buy any of their albums but if one of there songs comes on the radio ill listen
  • fanch75 wrote:

Yeah, I don't understand flat out hatred for any band, really... if you don't like it, don't listen to it. However, I just can't comprehend for the life of me how Nickelback got so popular. They aren't original and the songwriting is absolutely terrible, both musically and lyrically. Even with crappy pop music, I can at least understand the catchy melody or hook or whatever, but with Nickelback I just don't get how so many people actually go out of their way to buy their albums or whatever.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Haha....is it 1994? I think N'Sync pretty much kicked that record's ass. Of course you don't know that, becuase it is 1994 right now.

N'Sync was sales for 7 days, not five. The standards have changed since 1994, but PJ is number one for sales in 5 days (the old standards).
  • N'Sync was sales for 7 days, not five. The standards have changed since 1994, but PJ is number one for sales in 5 days (the old standards).

Didn't Garth Brooks break Pearl Jam's record?
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • this thread is HILARIOUS:)
    Cornell pwns u
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Worst band EVER. I'm ashamed that they're from my home province. On behalf of embarrassed Canadians everywhere, I apologize for this steaming pile of crap they call Nickelback. The fact that they've sold a gazillion records only reafirms my belief that the world is full of uncultured morons who wouldn't know good music if it came up and bit them in the ass. Commercial radio has been shoving crap like this down our throats for so long now that people have been brainwashed into believing that it's good music. And that makes me sad.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits