Have you ever gone to a concert with the flu?

AiCPearlJamWeenAiCPearlJamWeen Posts: 785
edited March 2008 in Other Music
Thankfully I have never been sick during a concert but to anyone who has, does your being sick kill the concert experiance?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Thankfully I have never been sick during a concert but to anyone who has, does your being sick kill the concert experiance?

I had tickets to see My Morning Jacket and i was very sick. Running a fevor etc, but i had never seen the jacket before and was just getting into them. I actually did not have any albums i had just heard some stuff from a friend. They were coming to town and i got a ticket.

I actually ended up going by myself and I remember about mid way through i forgot i was sick because the music was truely awesome.

I've been a big fan ever since.

I did take care to kind of stand away from everyone else and i used lots of that hand sanatizer etc. I wanted to do my best not to get anyone else sick.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • fotdfotd Posts: 514
    I saw Trey at the wiltern in LA a couple years back and I was sicker than a dog. The show made me feel a billion times better.
    I’ve seen Pearl Jam 25 times, Eddie Vedder 9 times, and Brad once.
  • hodgehodge Posts: 519
    music is a catalyst for healing
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
  • zircona1zircona1 Posts: 293
    I had a cold the first time I went to see PJ in '98. I didn't have a lot of energy so I couldn't sing along very well, I kept drinking water - even left during Nothingman to get some more.

But I had a great time - I was with 2 of my friends and we sat on the lawn (actually, stood up is more appropriate) and it was the best show I've seen by them so far.
    "As long as the music's loud enough, we won't hear the world falling apart."—Jubilee

"I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin
  • toastertoaster Posts: 152
    Yes. I actually did this for the first time on saturday. Although I think I was more hungover than I had the flu. Anyway, I was really sick and almost had to leave during the opener. But then I decided I'd stick around just to at least hear the opening song. And when the music started I felt so much better! Forgot about the fever and all, and had a great time! Went straight home to bed and slept most of the sunday, though. But it was so worth it!

I guess if you really like teh band it doesn't matter. I've seen a couple of bands I wasn't that into when I was half sick though, and that was some of my worst concert experiences ever.
  • Gone to one? I've played a few! :D
  • Several years ago I went to Memphis for the weekend including a Kid Rock concert. I went knowing I was getting sick, having had fever the night before and progressively getting to feeling worse as the workday went on the next day.
    So, by the time I got to Memphis around 9 that Friday night I was feeling worse but went out with the crew for a late late night of drinking. Got back to the hotel and threw my guts up and had chills that wouldn't stop.
    The next day, I finally got a few beers in my system before the concert and I really don't remember much of the show at all...although there was some speculation by my friends that I drank a beer including something besides hops and barley.
    Anyways, the concert was a blur and I spent the next week in the bed. That was the sickest I have ever been in my life.

On another note: That Sunday was the day Dale Earnhardt got killed in the Daytona 500. I remember waking up that evening after sleeping through the race and that was the first thing I saw when I woke up
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    i had norwalk for boston 1 06, my girlfriend missed philly II 06 because she had it a few days later.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • upina2001upina2001 Posts: 764
    I saw DMB a couple years ago while I had Pneumonia. Rained like hell, & I couldnt smoke cause our shit was all wet, but what a great time!!

Also went to see Phish in 99?? right before I had knee surgery. Drank way too much on top of the vicotine's and passed out in the parking lot before the show. I did muster enough energy to get up and going and had an amazing time at the show. Big huge rain storm came in while Trey jammed on "While my guitar gently weeps". (Cincy, I believe.)

Toledo, Ohio (September 22, 1996), East Troy, Wisconsin (June 26, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 17, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 18, 2000), Cincinnati, Ohio (August 20, 2000), Columbus, Ohio (August 21, 2000), Nashville, Tennessee (April 18, 2003), Champaign, Illinois (April 23, 2003), Noblesville, Indiana (June 22, 2003), Chicago, Illinois (May 16, 2006), Chicago, Illinois (August 05, 2007), West Palm Beach, Florida (June 11, 2008), Tampa, Florida (June 12, 2008), Columbus, OH (May 06, 2010), Noblesville, Indiana (May 07, 2010), Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013), US Bank Arena (October 01, 2014), Lexington (April 26, 2016), Chicago Night 2 (August 20, 2018), Boston Night 1 (September 02, 2018), Nashville (September 16, 2022), St. Louis (September 18, 2022)

• Thankfully I have never been sick during a concert but to anyone who has, does your being sick kill the concert experiance?

yes, the one and only time I saw u2. I fell into under face value tickets for this sold out show where tickets were going for $1000 a pop, so I went. It was not the most fun show of my life, I will tell you that. But I'm glad I got to see it because u2 is truly a *show.*
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    YES. a few years back i went to see hope of the states and was feeling a bit off. i had to leave half way through cause i felt like if i didnt i was gonna vomit on someone. i had earlier left the venue for some fresh air, but it didnt seem to help. the next night i had tix for the libertines and thinking there was no way i was gonna miss them, i figured if i dosed myself up on vitamin B and codeine (like i normally do cause i don't do doctors) i'd be okay. well i wasn't. the day after the libertines i was as sick as a dog and ended up being ill for the next week and had to miss 2 gigs i already had tix for. so yeah, being sick definitely ruined my gig going experience that week. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • silent tsilent t Posts: 50
    I think it was the 2000 tour, I and a friend went to San Francisco (Mt. View), Sacramento, San Bernadino, Portland, Boise, and finished in Seattle. During the trip I had a horrible flu, especially Boise, which surprising was the best of the six (SF a close second), I countered it with a lot of NyQuil and a case of Ravenswood Zin.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,854
    I went to the RnR hall of fame ceremony last year sick as a dog

heineken helped

A LOT

got that EV pic though!!!
  • mark armmark arm Posts: 962
    yeah, one time, was a little painful but was worth it
    11/25/05 - Buenos Aires
    11/26/05 - Buenos Aires
    11/28/05 - Porto Alegre, BR
    06/01/07 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/16/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/17/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/19/08 - Buenos Aires
  • ladygooddivaladygooddiva Posts: 4,169
    yes i was ..at the last faight no more tour ..did not know so i was so happy after..even i was more than two weeks sick:D
  • civ_eng_girlciv_eng_girl Posts: 2,001
    i went to see Rage Against The Machine with Cypress Hill when I was just getting better after 6 weeks with mono.

all i can say is that the show was great, and i could barely stand up straight after the show....

from the fever? or from the cloud of smoke hanging over the floor? i couldn't tell.... ;):D
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • AstirdAstird Posts: 168
    No, but I sat next to someone in Kitchener who SMELLED like he had the flu. There was no way either of us was moving, but it was so NASTY. It's part of my Kitchener memories and that's just fucking wrong.
  • even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Montreal, Toronto and passed it on to the nice people we housed from the States before they left for home after the TO show. :)

Aside from spitting out the window of the car for most of the trip, our energy at the shows didn't lack.
    You've changed your place in this world!