Robert Plant named 23rd worst lyricist of All Time by Blender

2»

Comments

• Oh, Jimmy wrote:

And there was a handfulla songs that Zeppelin got sued for, but it wasnt for the music, it was for the lyrics.

that's not entirely true. sometimes it was the music the ripped off. they ripped the music for Dazed and Confused from Jake Holmes. the music AND lyrics for Lemon Song are directly stolen from Howlin' Wolf's "Killing Man." Blackmountainside and White Summer are actually traditional songs that weren't credited as such (and Page's versions closely resemble Bert Jansch's covers). finally, the Stairway to Heaven riff is similar to "Taurus" by Spirit....though I wouldn't call it a rip-off like the others. it's more like Taurus inspired the Stairway riff. Still noteworthy though
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    that's not entirely true. sometimes it was the music the ripped off. they ripped the music for Dazed and Confused from Jake Holmes. the music AND lyrics for Lemon Song are directly stolen from Howlin' Wolf's "Killing Man." Blackmountainside and White Summer are actually traditional songs that weren't credited as such (and Page's versions closely resemble Bert Jansch's covers). finally, the Stairway to Heaven riff is similar to "Taurus" by Spirit....though I wouldn't call it a rip-off like the others. it's more like Taurus inspired the Stairway riff. Still noteworthy though

I have heard a few of the songs that Zeppelin "stole" and quite frankly there were a few pretty frivalous lawsuits. Not all, mind you, but one of the blue's guys that sued them, got pretty carried away.

Everybody played and recorded covers and put them on their albums, you can't fault Zeppelin for that, but yeah they shoulda credited them.
  • Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    I have heard a few of the songs that Zeppelin "stole" and quite frankly there were a few pretty frivalous lawsuits. Not all, mind you, but one of the blue's guys that sued them, got pretty carried away.

check out Howlin' Wolf's Killing Man. aside from the Puff Daddy/Jimmy Page Godzilla song, it's easily the most embarrassing Zeppelin moment. I can't believe they had the audacity to blatantly steal like that. it was settled out of court.

Zeppelin still rules though.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    ...in their 40 worst lyricists of all time. Another terrible list.

http://www.blender.com/guide/articles.aspx?ID=2882

1) Sting (solo, The Police)
    2) Neil Peart (Rush)
    3) Scott Stapp (Creed)
    4) Noel Gallagher (Oasis)
    5) Dan Fogelberg
    6) Tom Marshall (Phish friend [ not member ])
    7) Paul Stanley (KISS)
    8) Diane Warren ("I Don't Want to Miss a Thing", "How Can We Be Lovers?", "Have You Ever?")
    9) Donovan
    10) Jim Morrison (The Doors)

11) Larry Henley and Jeff Silbar ("Wind Beneath My Wings")
    12) David Crosby (sometimes of Crosby, Stills & Nash [ & Young ])
    13) Pete Gabriel, Mike Rutherford, Tony Banks, Steve Hackett and Phil Collins (aka Genesis, but also including their respective solo projects)
    14) will.i.am (Black Eyed Peas)
    15) Bernie Taupin (lyricist for Elton John and... "We Built This City")
    16) Ben Gibbard (Death Cab for Cutie)
    17) Jon Anderson (Yes)
    18) Ian Anderson (Jethro Tull)
    19) Queensrÿche
    20) Ryan Ross (Panic! At the Disco)

21) Alanis Morissette
    22) Jon Bon Jovi
    23) Robert Plant (Led Zeppelin)
    24) Fred Durst (Limp Bizkit)
    25) KRS-One
    26) Simon Le Bon (Duran Duran)
    27) Will Jennings (lyricist, "My Heart Will Go On", "Up Where We Belong", "Tears in Heaven", etc.)
    28) Greg Graffin (Bad Religion)
    29) Timbaland
    30) Kevin Federline (aka K-Fed)

31) Carly Simon
    32) Matisyahu
    33) Diddy (aka P. Diddy aka Puffy aka Puff Daddy)
    34) Henry Rollins (Black Flag, Rollins Band)
    35) Dashboard Confessional
    36) Common
    37) Bryan Adams
    38) Paul McCartney (The Beatles, solo)
    39) Billy Corgan (Smashing Pumpkins, Zwan, solo)
    40) Anthony Kiedis (Red Hot Chili Peppers)

Jim Morrison? Neil Peart? Robert Plant? WTF???

Even if you hate Sting, you have to acknowledge that his lyrics aren't terrible.

If I had a chioce I'd vote for Alantis Morrisette. Alantis Morrisette is bad at writing songs.
  • ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    DOSW wrote:
    Robert Plant is a terrible lyricist guys. Great frontman, awful lyricist.

I'd say great frontman/singer, average lyricist.
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    Silly list. Just trying to be controversial. There are so many songs with awful lyrics. If this list really wanted portray the worst lyrics of all time, there would be much more pop/rap/completely obscure shit.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    neil peart at #2!!!!!! haha thats pretty funny, apparently someone at blender can't drum for shit.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • 28 and 34 are fucking wrong.

aside from that: spot on.

carry on.

ps. ... lists are stupid and so is this post.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    Are you seriously saying Prince's influence is greater than Zeppelin's? Prince was influenced by Zeppelin

Zeppelin aren't gettin any money for the reunion, itsa tribute show for Ahmet Ertegun. gettin desperate?

And there was a handfulla songs that Zeppelin got sued for, but it wasnt for the music, it was for the lyrics.

Just b/c he was a black funk artist, make a power ballad is original?
    what makes you think that prince was influenced by zeppelin? and that isn't my point. people who are influenced by zeppelin are only influenced second-hand. Led Zep BLATANTLY plagiarised other artists. people that prince influenced were influenced by him because he was doing something different. he was creating a synthesis of genres and styles that no one else was daring in the 80s, a decade more concerned with record company revenue and sell-out stadium tours. is there a more creative and intelligent pop song in the 80s than Sign 'O' The Times? I doubt it. Zeppelin were a good band, no doubt. They were not, however, a band that changed things.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • I agree with all of these. I think its a great list.

...in their 40 worst lyricists of all time. Another terrible list.

http://www.blender.com/guide/articles.aspx?ID=2882

1) Sting (solo, The Police)
    2) Neil Peart (Rush)
    3) Scott Stapp (Creed)
    4) Noel Gallagher (Oasis)
    5) Dan Fogelberg
    6) Tom Marshall (Phish friend [ not member ])
    7) Paul Stanley (KISS)
    8) Diane Warren ("I Don't Want to Miss a Thing", "How Can We Be Lovers?", "Have You Ever?")
    9) Donovan
    10) Jim Morrison (The Doors)

11) Larry Henley and Jeff Silbar ("Wind Beneath My Wings")
    12) David Crosby (sometimes of Crosby, Stills & Nash [ & Young ])
    13) Pete Gabriel, Mike Rutherford, Tony Banks, Steve Hackett and Phil Collins (aka Genesis, but also including their respective solo projects)
    14) will.i.am (Black Eyed Peas)
    15) Bernie Taupin (lyricist for Elton John and... "We Built This City")
    16) Ben Gibbard (Death Cab for Cutie)
    17) Jon Anderson (Yes)
    18) Ian Anderson (Jethro Tull)
    19) Queensrÿche
    20) Ryan Ross (Panic! At the Disco)

21) Alanis Morissette
    22) Jon Bon Jovi
    23) Robert Plant (Led Zeppelin)
    24) Fred Durst (Limp Bizkit)
    25) KRS-One
    26) Simon Le Bon (Duran Duran)
    27) Will Jennings (lyricist, "My Heart Will Go On", "Up Where We Belong", "Tears in Heaven", etc.)
    28) Greg Graffin (Bad Religion)
    29) Timbaland
    30) Kevin Federline (aka K-Fed)

31) Carly Simon
    32) Matisyahu
    33) Diddy (aka P. Diddy aka Puffy aka Puff Daddy)
    34) Henry Rollins (Black Flag, Rollins Band)
    35) Dashboard Confessional
    36) Common
    37) Bryan Adams
    39) Billy Corgan (Smashing Pumpkins, Zwan, solo)
    40) Anthony Kiedis (Red Hot Chili Peppers)
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    what makes you think that prince was influenced by zeppelin? and that isn't my point. people who are influenced by zeppelin are only influenced second-hand. Led Zep BLATANTLY plagiarised other artists. people that prince influenced were influenced by him because he was doing something different. he was creating a synthesis of genres and styles that no one else was daring in the 80s, a decade more concerned with record company revenue and sell-out stadium tours. is there a more creative and intelligent pop song in the 80s than Sign 'O' The Times? I doubt it. Zeppelin were a good band, no doubt. They were not, however, a band that changed things.

I would almost guarantee that if questioned, Prince would say he was influenced by Zeppelin. If he doesnt, he is a liar.

Led Zeppelin's influence is so great, that there may not be a pop/rock band/artist that isn't effected by it in some way.

Prince has made way too much fluff to be compared to Zeppelin.

If you honestly believe that Prince is in any way more talented, more creative, or just out and out better than Zeppelin then I feel sorry for you.
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    I would almost guarantee that if questioned, Prince would say he was influenced by Zeppelin. If he doesnt, he is a liar.

Led Zeppelin's influence is so great, that there may not be a pop/rock band/artist that isn't effected by it in some way.

Prince has made way too much fluff to be compared to Zeppelin.

If you honestly believe that Prince is in any way more talented, more creative, or just out and out better than Zeppelin then I feel sorry for you.
    you feel sorry for me?! of course he's more creative. have you ever heard a more sophisticated musician in pop music? listen to the albums Purple Rain, Parade and Sign 'O' the times and if you can't see that Prince is an unusually talented musician then save your pity for yourself. Zeppelin were fairly traditional in their music. they were great musicians for sure but a lot of their stuff is fairly pedestrian blues rock that just doesn't interest me in any way.

also, Plant has the most annoying voice ever.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • DCGARDENDCGARDEN Posts: 515
    I never understood how anyone can realistically judge lyrics. Outside of obvious stupid ones like basic pop formulas that intend on being without a lot of thought, judging a rock artists lyrics is insane. Do they give credit to people who come up with bizarre lyrics? Sometimes a lyric is absoultely perfect for the song itself. Putting Plant on any list like this is insulting.
    I'll keep taking punches
    Untill their will grows tired
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    This post is as pointless as that list.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    "If you honestly believe that Prince is in any way more talented, more creative, or just out and out better than Zeppelin then I feel sorry for you."

Oh shut up with this "holier than thou" attitude. Zeppelin are undoubtly infuential but to say that every single band today is infulenced by them is taking it a bit too far.
  • Robert Plant and Jim Morrison on this li...oh wait. Blender.

the list is fucked. nevermind. :rolleyes:
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228

WTF
    Paul's stuff is far from bad in my opinion.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    muppet wrote:
    "If you honestly believe that Prince is in any way more talented, more creative, or just out and out better than Zeppelin then I feel sorry for you."

Oh shut up with this "holier than thou" attitude. Zeppelin are undoubtly infuential but to say that every single band today is infulenced by them is taking it a bit too far.

There are some bands that are a few degrees down the line of influence, for sure, but directly or indirectly Zeppelin has had a bigger influence than anybody. They may not be the most directly influential band, but honestly, and I am not sayin he isnt original, but who has Prince influenced.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Jim Morrison, Noel Gallagher, Billy Corgan, Paul McCartney, David Crosby..........seriously this list is complete bullshit and they have absolutely no credibility whatsoever.

dude, i love oasis but their lyrics are about as meaningful as gavin rossdale's ;) i also dig common, kinda surprised he's on there. though i cant argue with most of the list, even the bands i like (lez zeppelin, rush).
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    and I am not sayin he isnt original, but who has Prince influenced.
    just about every black artist of the last 25 years. look them up. there's quite a few.
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    nice. another list designed to stir controversy.
    I bet I could find 50 worse lyricists in this building.
  • I'm not going to say much about this list other than, thank god somebody finally realised that Anthony Keidis is damaging the Chili Peppers.
    The prosecution would like to call the following evidence into trial, Around The Wolrd Lyrics.

I know, I know for sure
    Bing Bong bing dang dong ding doo (or whatever the hell he says)
    I know, I know it's you
    Zing Zang kung fu manchu (or something else ridiculous like that)

That completely ruins that song and has to fall somewhere near the top of the dumbest lyrics off all time, you can't even argue it so don't try.
    I was taught a month ago to bide my time and take it slow, but then I learned just yesterday to rush and never waste a day. Now I'm convinced the whole day long that all I've learned is always wrong. Things are true that I forget, but no one taught that to me yet
  • I'm not going to say much about this list other than, thank god somebody finally realised that Anthony Keidis is damaging the Chili Peppers.
    The prosecution would like to call the following evidence into trial, Around The Wolrd Lyrics.

I know, I know for sure
    Bing Bong bing dang dong ding doo (or whatever the hell he says)
    I know, I know it's you
    Zing Zang kung fu manchu (or something else ridiculous like that)

That completely ruins that song and has to fall somewhere near the top of the dumbest lyrics off all time, you can't even argue it so don't try.

he does that in a few songs - for some reason I find it funny. I think when he's writing a song, he has trouble writing lines and verses. So he does that thing just to get the tempo of the verse. Later, he probably just can't find the right words so he goes with the jibberish.

I'm assuming this - I'm not a big peppers fan.
    "This guy back here is giving me the ole one more....one more back to you buddy."

- Mr. Edward Vedder 7/11/03

• which proves my point, it's not a one time thing, he can't write lyrics.
    I was taught a month ago to bide my time and take it slow, but then I learned just yesterday to rush and never waste a day. Now I'm convinced the whole day long that all I've learned is always wrong. Things are true that I forget, but no one taught that to me yet
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Jim Morrison, Noel Gallagher, Billy Corgan, Paul McCartney, David Crosby..........seriously this list is complete bullshit and they have absolutely no credibility whatsoever.

I thought they might bring you into the fray with Noel Gallagher.

For lack of a better term, this list is retarded. And I hate using that phrase, but it so makes sense here. This isn't the only time they've come up with some BS music list or another. I mean, they're all over the place with this one.
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968

For once I agree with a fellow message pit member! LOL jk. But seriously here, what a load of bull. They don't know what they're talking about. The radio station near me was talking about how they rated the drummer of Rush something like 5th or 6th, and they said "Yeah I mean I guess if you're one of the most successful progressive rock bands and have been touring the world for over thirty years your probably not the great of a lyricist." And what the fuck is up with numbers 38-40!?! AK totally sucks as a singer, but he has written probably the most touching and influential lyrics I've ever heard. What a bunch of pussy motherfuckers at Blender.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    WHAT?? this list is honestly ridiculous! billy corgan!? robert plant, NEIL PEART!?!?!, JIM MORRISON?, queensryche? ...woow
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • The same issue where they list Robert plant, Paul mccartney, and Jim Morrison as some of the worst lyricists , They Praise Chad Kroger and Nickelback as a great band. Hmmm Blender= Good magazine?
    "I Will Scream my Lungs out 'til it fills this Room "

" I Will Feel Alive as Long as I am Free"

"Are We Getting SomeThing Out Of this All Encompassing Trip? Makes Much More Sense To Live In The Present Tense"

www.myspace.com/ehoff12982
    The same issue where they list Robert plant, Paul mccartney, and Jim Morrison as some of the worst lyricists , They Praise Chad Kroger and Nickelback as a great band. Hmmm Blender= Good magazine?

Really? Sucks they gotta sell some magazines, I guess. It has some pretty good interviews and monthly columns. And all in all itsa a pretty entertaining read. I like the magazines sense of humor.
  • Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    Lyrics may be Zeppelin's weakness, but I wouldn't say he's awful. He wrote in a different time. Writin about folklore and the like can sound dated, but you cant deny Plant has some killer lyrics.

Kashmir
    Ten Years Gone
    Ramble On
    Over the Hills............
    The Song Remains the Same
    Rain Song
    Going to California
    Thank You
    Fool In The Rain
    Achilles Last Stand

I'll agree almost completely with this list. There's no doubt that Robert eventually came into his own as a lyricist - we all know the early stuff is awful - but the songs you just listed...I couldn't agree more.

I'd also like to throw in "All of My Love". Jimmy Page may not have liked it, but it really is a heartfelt/complex memoir for his son.
    What I Should Have Said...Was Nothing.