Options

Van Halen with roth or hagar

melodyman22melodyman22 Posts: 326
edited March 2006 in Other Music
i gotta say diamond david lee roths van halen work is much better way better songs hes a much better performer, I find hagars van halen stuff avgerage at best and eddies guitar playing was much better in the roth days
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    dCowboyPJdCowboyPJ Posts: 479
    I'm a HUGE Hagar fan. I wouldn't be suprised if i'm the only one on here that says that. Hagar's work is so much better imo.

I can understand though why people like DLR so much though. But I grew up listening to 5150. Thats all I know for most of my life. So thats why I like Hagar so much.

5150 is one of the best albums of all time.
  • Options
    AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    like them both..but will give Dave the edge over Van Hagar cos i think he's a better live performer.
    music wise..i think they both rule.
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • Options
    AxlUlrich wrote:
    like them both..but will give Dave the edge over Van Hagar cos i think he's a better live performer.

I'v never seen DLR live. But my dad and me saw Van Halen back in '04 with Hagar. He saw Roth back in in the 70s and he said that Sammy blew DLR away live...

Sammy is pretty good up on stage. One of the best singer's i'v seen live.
  • Options
    No way - Gary Cherone was the ONE...

whoops - sorry, I must have hit my head for a second... where was I?

Roth, hands down.
    San Diego 10/25/00
    Irvine 6/03/03
    Los Angeles 7/9/06
    Los Angeles 7/10/06
    Los Angeles 7/12/08 (VH1 Rock Honors the Who)
    Los Angeles 10/01/09
    Los Angeles 4/12/08 (EV solo)
    Los Angeles 10/06/09
    MSG 5/20/10
    San Diego 7/5/11 (EV solo)
    Los Angeles 11/23/13
    Los Angeles 11/24/13
    Sao Paulo, Brazil 11/14/15
  • Options
    No way - Gary Cherone was the ONE...

whoops - sorry, I must have hit my head for a second... where was I?

Roth, hands down.

LMAO.

I was waiting for the Cherone joke. There's always one in every VH discussion. Man...that album was terrible.
  • Options
    to me hagar cant compare his songs arent nearly as good vh will always be the best with roth hands down
  • Options
    chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    Speaking of Cherone, are Extreme back together?
    Someone told me they heard an Extreme song on the radio yesterday and the DJ said it was a new song.
  • Options
    cookie5798cookie5798 Posts: 396
    AxlUlrich wrote:

I agree, I have seen Van Hagar live and it was off the hook, but I bet David Lee Roth would have blown the roof off!
    We need Pearl Jam in Atlanta!!! 2006-2007

The dirty south needs a fix.
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    I would go with Hager. My track record includes two Van Halen concerts with DLR and only a Sammy Hager solo show (1983!!!). DLR was very hit or miss in concert. If he had too much drink, the show was awful. That was the case for the show on the Diver Down tour that I attended. He redeemed himself when I saw the band on the 1984 tour.

I saw Sammy open before ZZ Top right when they were busting out on MTV. He flat out tore the house down.

If one looks closely, one would see that in the Hager era there were far less cover tunes included on Van Halen albums. This says something about the songwriting skills of one lead singer over the other.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    ive got two words for yah

SAMURAI SWORD
    An ounce of deception
    Kills a pound of pain
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Cabo Wabo maaaaaaan. Anyone who makes that stuff is tops in my book.
  • Options
    gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    chris01 wrote:
    Speaking of Cherone, are Extreme back together?
    Someone told me they heard an Extreme song on the radio yesterday and the DJ said it was a new song.

No shit? I saw a VH1 special where there was an attempt to get them back together and Nuno (lead guitar) didn't want any part of it. Extreme and specifically Gary Cherone have been bashed ad nauseum but I'll challenge any of you to watch them perform in the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert and not be impressed. I think they played as well as any other artist there.
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    I prefer Hagar, but that might be just because of my age. Roth quit VH when I was only like 12. But I've seen VH with Hagar 10 times and once with Cherone. I don't know, I always like Hagar's voice better and he was much more fan friendly.

I grew up on 5150, OU812 and F.U.C.K.

I'll always remember seeing them for free in Dallas in December 1991. When they were here for the Texxas Jam in '88, Hagar's voice was so shot that he promised a make up show. It took them awhile but one day in Dec. '91 they set up a stage right in the middle of downtown Dallas in the middle of the day and let it rip. About 100,000 people crammed the streets. It was awesome! I'll never forget that.

I've even been to Hagar's Cabo Wabo Cantina in Cabo San Lucas!
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    Flagg wrote:

What was that like?

My friends and me are trying to get a trip going somewhere down there. But we really have no idea where to go.
  • Options
    Flagg wrote:

Hey! I've been kicked out of that bar....Thanks alot Danny. Cool rock and roll joint though.
    I'm a big Hagar fan too, but I usually find myself on the Roth end of this conversation.
    Wish I could have seen them back in the day..Seen them a few times with Hagar. Last time at the Forum coincidently.
  • Options
    What was that like?

My friends and me are trying to get a trip going somewhere down there. But we really have no idea where to go.

It was great. It was in 1996 when I went though and I think the cantina is in a different location now. Also, back then Sammy was still in the band so it was decorated with a lot of VH memorabilia and pictures.

I was a huge VH fan back then, so I was kind of in awe.

Cabo San Lucas is a cool town to visit. From what I have heard, it is a lot more touristy than it used to be however. Fantastic place if you want to try Marlin fishing!
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    Hey! I've been kicked out of that bar....Thanks alot Danny. Cool rock and roll joint though.
    I'm a big Hagar fan too, but I usually find myself on the Roth end of this conversation.
    Wish I could have seen them back in the day..Seen them a few times with Hagar. Last time at the Forum coincidently.

Hah! Cool!

Yeah, I wish I had seen the classic lineup live too. Saw them on the reunion with Hagar tour in '04 and it sure brought back the memories. Have you ever seen a band with so much talent and appeal and fanbase just constantly shoot themselves in the foot like they do?
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    Easy Roth. Van Halen s/t still their best record.
  • Options
    Flagg wrote:
    Hah! Cool!

Yeah, I wish I had seen the classic lineup live too. Saw them on the reunion with Hagar tour in '04 and it sure brought back the memories. Have you ever seen a band with so much talent and appeal and fanbase just constantly shoot themselves in the foot like they do?

Probably not out of the short list of bands that would fall into that category.
    I'm not an autograph seeking type of person, but I do have a signed For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge CD signed by Ed Van Halen...He wrote on the cover...Get crazy with us Xxxxx -Ed Van Halen.

And Cabo...I have about 80 hours of time pulling lures and bait around the peninsula trying to hookup with a marlin and haven't yet, maybe I'm due to try again. Really like the surfing down there too, around Costa Azul. Zippers and Los Rocas...I think I may be working myself up into a Cabo jones all the sudden...

Anyways yeah, Van Halen's first album is still my favorite. Changed alot of things...
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    I Like Dave. Hagar was okay, but didnt he make a shitty song about tequila just to sell his own shitty brnad of liqour?

That tequila thing was pathetic...
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    I'm a HUGE Hagar fan. I wouldn't be suprised if i'm the only one on here that says that. Hagar's work is so much better imo.

My Dad woulda looooooved you. :) hehe. He was a HUGE Hagar fan as well. I mean, HUUUUUUGE.

Me on the other hand...sorry, must have my signature squeals...DIAMOND DAVE all the way. :D Van Hagar is OK, I do like a lot of it...but nothing can top The Dave for me.
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤
    ...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • Options
    i cant believe what im reading hagar over van halen when you hear van halen on the radio its almost always roth songs he has the hits sammy tries but his songs are all sappy
  • Options
    gabers wrote:
    No shit? I saw a VH1 special where there was an attempt to get them back together and Nuno (lead guitar) didn't want any part of it. Extreme and specifically Gary Cherone have been bashed ad nauseum but I'll challenge any of you to watch them perform in the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert and not be impressed. I think they played as well as any other artist there.

Wow - it's not often that you see the word "Nuno" anymore -

I saw that guy in concert, on his solo tour, and he was amazing - couldn't call myself a fan, necessarily, but I can appreciate mind-blowing ability when I see it -

On to the VH matter - It's all about 2 things for me - the uniqueness (of the voice and personality) which makes a particular frontman so valuable, and the synthesis of his talents and those of his bandmates - those are the 2 categories that set DLR apart. He was SUCH a presence, vocally and otherwise, and he meshed so well with Eddie's guitar work - it was just... right.
    San Diego 10/25/00
    Irvine 6/03/03
    Los Angeles 7/9/06
    Los Angeles 7/10/06
    Los Angeles 7/12/08 (VH1 Rock Honors the Who)
    Los Angeles 10/01/09
    Los Angeles 4/12/08 (EV solo)
    Los Angeles 10/06/09
    MSG 5/20/10
    San Diego 7/5/11 (EV solo)
    Los Angeles 11/23/13
    Los Angeles 11/24/13
    Sao Paulo, Brazil 11/14/15
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Now THAT's the way to hype up an album:

http://www.cabowabo.com/cruise/

We need a PJ moon rocket voyage, to compete. ;)
  • Options
    faithful227faithful227 Posts: 352
    roth. never cared for VH after he left.
    VHC member #155***

Ft Lauderdale '96:::West Palm Beach '98:::Tampa '00:::Tampa '03:::Camden 1&2 '06::: DC '06:::West Palm Beach '08:::Tampa '08:::Columbia '08:::Virginia Beach '08

• Options
    I think Joe Dirt sums it up best....Van Halen not Van Hagar
    "Being undecided...it's dangerous. And I'll give you a perfect example: people with mullets, that's indecision."-EV

9/28/05-PNC
    5/30/06-DC
    6/23/06-Pittsburgh
  • Options
    I would say David Lee Roth's Van Halen rocked so much harder than Van Hagar. If you put "When It's Love" and "Panama" side by side, you will see how much better the original Van Halen was. A friend of mine said that once Hagar came in they were "taken more seriously as a band." My response was, "Who gives a shit?" They appealed to a broader audience and Eddie was suffocated by Hagar the Horrible's pussyness. You never heard anything like Eruption coming from Eddie once Hagar joined the band. With that being said, Right Now is an awesome song.
    "No matter how cold the winter, there's a springtime ahead."
  • Options
    I would say David Lee Roth's Van Halen rocked so much harder than Van Hagar. If you put "When It's Love" and "Panama" side by side, you will see how much better the original Van Halen was. A friend of mine said that once Hagar came in they were "taken more seriously as a band." My response was, "Who gives a shit?" They appealed to a broader audience and Eddie was suffocated by Hagar the Horrible's pussyness. You never heard anything like Eruption coming from Eddie once Hagar joined the band. With that being said, Right Now is an awesome song.

I think that its a bunch of crap when people say Sammy turned Van Halen into what they became. You honestly think the Van Halen brothers would let some new singer come in and let him do whatever he wants and tell the band what to do? I don't think so. Besides...listen to 1984. I'd like you to try to tell me they weren't heading into the direction they went in...
  • Options
    Okay I may have gone a little far with the Hagar the Horrible suffocating Eddie comment but it sure seems that way.
    "No matter how cold the winter, there's a springtime ahead."