QOTSA arent that great

melodyman22melodyman22 Posts: 326
edited February 2008 in Other Music
Whats all the hype, with this band ? I mean Josh's voice is average at best. Not much range, not much emotion in his singing. Yes he is a decent guitar player. The only thing I like about QOTSAm is Mark Lanegan. Some people claim there one of the best bands going today, I say come on with a voice like that how can you be ?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I genuinely feel sad for you if you can't appreciate the band, just to give you a hint, it's all about the vibe. I can't explain that vibe, other than there is nothing better than driving in the summer time with QOTSA blasting out of the stereo. Sure Josh isn't the best singer out there, but there are loads of bands who don't have great singers, doesn't stop the music as a whole being good.
  • I'm going to quote myself from the previous thread with this topic:
    I feel very sorry for people that don't like QOTSA, they are missing out on a really enjoyable bit of life. This band restores my faith in good old rock and roll. Every now and again, I think that there's little more can be said with a guitar, and that my tastes are growing beyond the wonderful euphoria of guitar based bands of my youth, but then I hear some new QOTSA and know that someone is still making music today that my innner child wants to listen too. Yeah fine, I can get some enjoyment from the cleverness and uniquness of some indie music, but nothing beats the real thing. What I love most is that QOTSA isn't really a band it's a whole scene, so you get your own personal perspective on the music by being into your own adaptation of what surrounds the band, be it Nick Oliveri for the Nutters, EODM for the funnies, Kyuss for the stoners, or Mark lanegan for the just down richt fuck shit that man has got an amazing voice.....

I think I've said enough.

So I agree with facepollution.... on the subject of great singers, I think Josh is a tremendous singer. He sings softly over very heavy music. It's a great combination, but then again I'm able to listen to terrible singers like neil Young, Bod Dylan and Hendrix....
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    Think im having de ja vu, im sure someone started an almost identical thread a while back. Ill say the same thing i said then. If you dont like them dont listen!! There are many, many bands who are popular that i dont like but it doesnt mean i need one of their fans to explain to me why they are good, or explain to me what it is about them that im not 'getting'. I just dont listen!!, and listen to a band i DO like lol

I personally love QOTSA and think they are a great rock band. Love the sound of their guitars most of all and find it instantly recognisable.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • I don't think they're great either. I think they are Excellent! :)
    NERDS!
  • go see em live. your face will melt off. seriously the most rocking show i've been to.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • KannKann Posts: 1,146
    go see em live. your face will melt off. seriously the most rocking show i've been to.
    Not only do they kick serious ass live but their albums are really great (at least for the first 4, I'm still waiting for ev to grow on me). Listen to "I think I lost my headache" or "sky is falling" : josh may not have a great voice but singing like he does over riffs like that does make it great. I definitely think it is one of the best band around.
    There was one other thread like this on this forum. And contrary to most thread of that type "(rockband) aren't that great" you won't find many people that agree with you on qotsa ==> sign of a great band right there.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Whats all the hype, with this band ? I mean Josh's voice is average at best. Not much range, not much emotion in his singing. Yes he is a decent guitar player. The only thing I like about QOTSAm is Mark Lanegan. Some people claim there one of the best bands going today, I say come on with a voice like that how can you be ?

you don't like his voice.

That is cool. Personally i agree does not have the best voice and the band is at it's best when one of the coolest singers of the 90's (lanegan) is singing, but i can get past josh's voice becuase i love the riffs and the music they make. I think he is more then a decent guitar player when it comes to writing songs on guitar.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • One of the best live bands out there not a chance. Some people say there so great, I just understand it.
  • One of the best live bands out there not a chance. Some people say there so great, I just understand it.

No one asked you to.

QOTSA melt fucking faces.
  • Josh has an awesome voice. Have you even heard their first (and best) album? I doubt it. Keep on smoking that crack.
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    I guess Josh and the other QOTSA members will just have to get by on all that adulation from other respected musicians, although I'm sure your opinion really pains them to some degree...
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/

if you've seen em live, then to each his own.

if you haven't............you're just a fucking moron.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
  • No one asked you to.

QOTSA melt fucking faces.

he's right you know.

i had my face melted off at their Boston show.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
  • you're seriously missing out on what this band is about man, if you don't get it now you never will. I feel sorry for you , one of the best bands on the planet right now.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,227
    If you first became aware of them over their last album or two, I can see where you might feel that way. Their first three records and accompanying live shows were just incredible. The newer stuff is still good, but pales in comparison.
  • I'm not into them either. Saw them open for Nails a while back...pretty horrid. The singer looked pretty drunk though. I think they're a band like Radiohead...you either hear it or you don't...and I don't!
  • Saturnal wrote:
    I'm not into them either. Saw them open for Nails a while back...pretty horrid. The singer looked pretty drunk though. I think they're a band like Radiohead...you either hear it or you don't...and I don't!

ehhhhh....

I mean if you like no holds barred face melting riffs and killer guitar solos...queens should be right up your alley.

Then again, I can see some people being turned off by them.

And these people are the ones who listen to Belle and Sebastian.
  • he's right you know.

i had my face melted off at their Boston show.

Dax Riggs...Good
    Howlin Rain...OK, great guitar player
    QOTSA...Face melted like the bad guy in the first Indiana Jones

So Awesome words dont do them justice...I do miss Mark Lanegan singing Song for the Dead...I saw them do it opening for the chili peppers and was in awe of them...seriously.
    "Music is the glue that holds everything together. Without it, everything would fall apart." --Eddie (From the movie EMPIRE RECORDS)
  • ehhhhh....

I mean if you like no holds barred face melting riffs and killer guitar solos...queens should be right up your alley.

Then again, I can see some people being turned off by them.

And these people are the ones who listen to Belle and Sebastian.

People like Mark Lanegan?:confused:
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • YieldedYielded Posts: 839
    I've seen them twice (the last time was just two weeks ago) and I can honestly say that they're one of the best bands I've seen live, tremendous show. I'm seeing them again this summer as well, which I'm really excited about.
    "We get these pills to swallow... how they stick in your throat... Tastes like gold..."
  • I dont get impressed that easy. Also Josh is not a great front man. Some of you saying there so great live, there are so many bands better live then QOTSA. Im not saying their horrible, but there not that special either. Yes I have heard all there albums. His songwriting isnt nothing special either. An average band, with an average singer, and average songs.
  • Josh's main talent is talking shit about other bands. Unlike other practioners of shit talking, like Liam Gallagher or Axl Rose, Josh doesn't have a Morning Glory or Appetite For Destruction in his catalog to back up his shit talking.
  • Matty Boy wrote:
    Josh's main talent is talking shit about other bands. Unlike other practioners of shit talking, like Liam Gallagher or Axl Rose, Josh doesn't have a Morning Glory or Appetite For Destruction in his catalog to back up his shit talking.

What bands does he talk shit on?
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    yeah i don't really like them either.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • I dont get impressed that easy. Also Josh is not a great front man. Some of you saying there so great live, there are so many bands better live then QOTSA. Im not saying their horrible, but there not that special either. Yes I have heard all there albums. His songwriting isnt nothing special either. An average band, with an average singer, and average songs.

Are you sure you're not thinking of the FOO FIGHTERS?
  • Whats all the hype, with this band ? I mean Josh's voice is average at best. Not much range, not much emotion in his singing. Yes he is a decent guitar player. The only thing I like about QOTSAm is Mark Lanegan. Some people claim there one of the best bands going today, I say come on with a voice like that how can you be ?

why start shit???

If you don't like them and want some vocal range watch American Idol.

FUCK!!!!
    the Minions
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    I have never been able to get into them enough to consider them a favourite...they just don't fully connect, ya know? that said, I have the albums, and the live show DOES kick ass.... I've seen them every chance I've had....always a great time, great musicianship...and Josh is pretty fuckin funny to boot. Kyuss rocked too.
  • im not even gonna respond to these asinine QOTSA threads anymore, sick sick sick
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    songs for the deaf is a 10/10 album.
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • KannKann Posts: 1,146
    What bands does he talk shit on?
    He doesn't like metallica I heard. But other than that I can't see.
    Oh, and josh not only did 3 of the best albums in the last 10 years but he also has kyuss. I don't think he has to be shy of liam or axl. And unlike these two, his comments are much more funny.