Steven Tyler is amazing.

melodyman22melodyman22 Posts: 326
edited May 2008 in Other Music
Steven Tyler, is for sure one of the best vocalists ever. I mean even to this day he sounds great. Better then Plant does now. The range he has, is just amazing. I know many on here wont agree, but I feel Aerosmith is better then the mighty Led Zeppelin. Dont get me wrong Led kicks ass.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I've only heard one vocal performance from Steve Tyler ever that didn't make me think of an ordinary singer belting out Zeppelin songs while a gestapo officer holds his testicles in a vice. That song was Dream On.

Otherwise, no. Horrible singer.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    i don't want to insult your opinion, but i completely disagree with everything there. i do not think steven tyler is a very good singer at all. also, led zeppelin is MILES better then aerosmith. aerosmith is overrated as it is.

plant > tyler .. now and always

zeppelin > aerosmith .. of course

ev > any singer
    pj > any band
    ... hehehe
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    They put on a HELL of a live show. I've never seen a band rock so hard.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • maybe 30 years ago.
  • mbangel10mbangel10 Posts: 548
    I saw them live around 6 or 7 years ago. It was one of my favorite concerts. Aerosmith is a great classic rock band. However, I wouldn't go so far to say that Steven Tyler is the best singer out there. He's got a good voice but he's far from the best. He is a great front man though.

Last Child was the first song I ever heard by Aerosmith when I was a little kid, and damn they rocked that song live. :)
    Pitt 98, Pitt 00, Cleveland 03, Pitt 03, State College 03, Toledo 04, Toronto 05, Pitt 05, Cleveland 06, Pitt 06 & Chicago 07, Chicago 1&2 09, Philly 2,3,4 09, Cleveland 10, Columbus 10, Alpine Valley 1& 2 11
  • FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    He has crazy range... and i haven't heard him recently but i still bet he has it..
    Top five best unplugs ever
  • HebejebeHebejebe Posts: 108
    He has crazy range... and i haven't heard him recently but i still bet he has it..
    Top five best unplugs ever
    Yeah he's certainly looked after his voice. It's a pity that Ed hasn't. Ed has improved as a singer but he has let his voice go a bit, dude needs to stop smoking.
  • Evacuation RulesEvacuation Rules Posts: 2,162
    I'm a huge fan of 70's Aerosmith and I wouldn't say that Tyler is amazing by any stretch of the imagination. But he is better than Axl Rose. I'll give him that!
  • Gremmie95Gremmie95 Posts: 749
    JWBusher wrote:
    I'm a huge fan of 70's Aerosmith and I wouldn't say that Tyler is amazing by any stretch of the imagination. But he is better than Axl Rose. I'll give him that!

ooooh tough one, never compared the two.
  • Absolutely fantastic when I saw them at Hyde Park Calling last year. Tyler's voice has not aged one bit.
  • Lukin66Lukin66 Posts: 3,063
    Hebejebe wrote:
    Yeah he's certainly looked after his voice. It's a pity that Ed hasn't. Ed has improved as a singer but he has let his voice go a bit, dude needs to stop smoking.
    yes, I agree with you there. ST has taken really good care of his voice, but a lot of other rockers (plant, EV FOR SURE) haven't. It'll be a shame if eddie lets his voice die into a cigarette croak.
    deep, deep blue of the morning
    gets to me every time
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    Axl was a way better vocalist than Steven Tyler or Robert Plant. At the top of all their games Axl is the best.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Sz_t7xjvI7o
  • Dustin51Dustin51 Posts: 222

I saw them once and thought it sucked. It wasnt that bad but they did 90 minutes did exactly the same show im sure they did in every other city on the tour and that was it. Not a bad show but it was just a straight show, no heart!
    Be excellent to each other
  • melodyman22melodyman22 Posts: 326
    Im not saying he's the best singer ever. Im saying he has an amazing voice. For those who think he's horrible. Go listen to your Arcade fire cd.
    Im not saying he's the best singer ever. Im saying he has an amazing voice. For those who think he's horrible. Go listen to your Arcade fire cd.
    Will do, thanks for the recommendation.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Pearls&StonesPearls&Stones Posts: 585
    I actually have never cared for Led Zeppelin. Sure they're talented. But I find them extremely boring.

I like Aerosmith. I've seen them a few times live and I enjoyed it. Not as good as a Pearl Jam show, but what is? I actually like most of Aerosmith's albums 1970's-2000's. There were a few I didn't like here or there (ie Rock and a Hard Place) but overall they are consistent.
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • wcsmithwcsmith Posts: 165
    I actually have never cared for Led Zeppelin. Sure they're talented. But I find them extremely boring.

Really? None of their albums sound the same, at least not to me. Maybe I just can't conceive that the band the pretty much created the template for hard rock could be considered boring. Oh well, to each their own...
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me"
    wcsmith wrote:
    Really? None of their albums sound the same, at least not to me. Maybe I just can't conceive that the band the pretty much created the template for hard rock could be considered boring. Oh well, to each their own...
    Well... the following bands were all making hard rock before Zeppelin:

Andromeda
    Blue Cheer
    The Firebirds
    High Tide
    Jeff Beck
    MC5
    Sainte Anthony's Fyre
    The Stooges
    Vanilla Fudge
    Yesterday's Children

And since Zeppelin plagiarised most of their tunes and lyrics on their first two albums, they were neither original nor particularly groundbreaking. There's nothing wrong with liking them of course, that's your choice but they certainly didn't lay the template for hard rock. They might have consolidated it, yes.
  • MattyJoeMattyJoe Posts: 1,424

You obviously never saw LZ. There truly is no band that rocks harder than Zep did from '69-'73. NO BAND.

Aerosmith are Zeppelin imitators to the max.
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Pearls&StonesPearls&Stones Posts: 585
    wcsmith wrote:

To be honest, none of the elite guitar gods (Hendrix, Page, Clapton) really appeal to me. I know how great they are/were, but their actual music does nothing for me.
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
    To be honest, none of the elite guitar gods (Hendrix, Page, Clapton) really appeal to me. I know how great they are/were, but their actual music does nothing for me.

I feel the same way EXCEPT for Page. Have you ever listened to any the official live Zep stuff? If not check out HTWWW (How The West Was Won). It will splatter your brain onto the wall.
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
    MattyJoe wrote:
    I feel the same way EXCEPT for Page. Have you ever listened to any the official live Zep stuff? If not check out HTWWW (How The West Was Won). It will splatter your brain onto the wall.
    No it won't because he doesn't like him. The fact that Page is considered a legend and a guitar god means nothing if someone doesn't like his playing. Technical ability and standing within guitar circles doesn't really much and to be honest, seems out of context when discussing Page or those sorts of guitarists who are far from being all that impressive in terms of skills and therefore can only really be judged on the merits of their musicality, something which clearly doesn't appeal to Pearls&Stones.
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    No it won't because he doesn't like him. The fact that Page is considered a legend and a guitar god means nothing if someone doesn't like his playing. Technical ability and standing within guitar circles doesn't really much and to be honest, seems out of context when discussing Page or those sorts of guitarists who are far from being all that impressive in terms of skills and therefore can only really be judged on the merits of their musicality, something which clearly doesn't appeal to Pearls&Stones.

Dude I could care less about how popular they are or how they're rated by guitar aficionados. In my opinion Page is on of the the greatest guitarists ever. Great riff writer, great shredder at times, but also very soulful. Great musician. (Well he WAS... These days, idk...)

All I'm doing is making a recommendation. What are you doing speaking for him anyway? You guys on some kind of overreaction crusade or something?
    -Reagan
    MattyJoe wrote:
    Dude I could care less about how popular they are or how they're rated by guitar aficionados. In my opinion Page is on of the the greatest guitarists ever. Great riff writer, great shredder at times, but also very soulful. Great musician. (Well he WAS... These days, idk...)

All I'm doing is making a recommendation. What are you doing speaking for him anyway? You guys on some kind of overreaction crusade or something?
    Because I'm tired of everyone making out like it's blasphemy to not appreciate the so-called "legends" on this board. Basically you told the guy that, whatever his thoughts on Clapton and Hendrix are, he's wrong about Page because if he listened to How the West was won, his brains would be splattered on the walls. In reality, it probably wouldn't make much difference because Pearls&Stones doesn't like Page. It seems to be some sort of crime on this board not to listen to the bands supposedly set out in some sort of holy canon of rock. I just find it very tiresome, that's all. No overreaction but a crusade of sorts, yes.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    MattyJoe wrote:
    You obviously never saw LZ. There truly is no band that rocks harder than Zep did from '69-'73. NO BAND.

Aerosmith are Zeppelin imitators to the max.
    Ya I'm aware.

But I was still very impressed at the Aerosmith show. I think LZ is the BETTER band, but I PREFER Aerosmith if that makes sense.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    yeah man, I used to love the shit out of aerosmith when I was a kid, I recently started to get back into thier 70s stuff and have had Toys in the Attic on my work mix I play on my Ipod the last few days, great stuff
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb