emo bands

suns rivalsuns rival Posts: 15,926
edited April 2007 in Other Music
forgive me for saying this: i just don't like emo music & it's bands. hope im not the only one here. :)

notable bands such as as Jimmy Eat World, Dashboard Confessional, Coheed and Cambria, Story of the Year, Death Cab for Cutie, Fall Out Boy, AFI, Hawthorne Heights, My Chemical Romance, Panic! at the Disco, Taking Back Sunday, The Used, etc.

sorry emo lovers. :)
scratching my butt...
kinakamot ang aking puwit...
me rascando pompis...
krap mijn reet...
boku no ketsuoana o kizu...
bahrosh teezy...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    suns rival wrote:
    forgive me for saying this: i just don't like emo music & it's bands. hope im not the only one here. :)

notable bands such as as Jimmy Eat World, Dashboard Confessional, Coheed and Cambria, Story of the Year, Death Cab for Cutie, Fall Out Boy, AFI, Hawthorne Heights, My Chemical Romance, Panic! at the Disco, Taking Back Sunday, The Used, etc.

i like mcr first 2 cds same as tbs. AFI were a actually a punk band, the used are more screamo/punk then emo. dashboard i like alot for some reason
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• I can deal with AFI pre-2000, Jimmy Eat World, & DCFC but that's about it.
    NERDS!
  • BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    Alot of people have a misconception about what real emo is about. Bands like Taking back Sunday, Hawthorne Heights, and Fall Out Boy pass for emo these days. They are no more emo than Silverchair, Seven Mary Three, and Bush were grunge. Real emo is more like Sunny Day Real Estate, Mineral, Texas is the Reason,and The Promise Ring. Hell, even the 1st Weezer album was in the ballpark, but traditional emo is basically obsolete. It doesn't have to be whiny, gay crap. It's supposed to be heavy musically, with clearly sang, meaningful lyrics. Nice concept in the right hands.
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • Sorry but what exactly is the point of the thread? Lol. There are a couple of bands on there that i don't really consider to be all that emo. JEW and DCFC specifically.
    "Everyone is a patriot in some form or another.... i prefer the intelligent ones."

"She fell funny"

"Klaus Daimler, 40, engineer, calm, collected, German"
  • artjamartjam Posts: 227
    Whatever label you want to put on fall out boy, taking back sunday, hawthorne heights... its all crap. CRAP. Guess its a sign that i am getting old. I just dont see how anyone can listen to this.
  • artjam wrote:
    Whatever label you want to put on fall out boy, taking back sunday, hawthorne heights... its all crap. CRAP. Guess its a sign that i am getting old. I just dont see how anyone can listen to this.
    No, I'm 17 and those bands are crap.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • it's not really music. it's a visual that has some noise that goes along with it. it's all really shitty. the thing about real rock n roll music is that it's based on the blues. and the blues were about bein' in a shitty situation and venting about it. emo twats that "start a bands" are all from middle to upper class families who get their starts from daddy's paycheck. it's such a joke to the rock n' roll world. they sing about heartbreak because that's the only somewhat real element in any of their pussy lives. i wish gg alin was still alive. :(
  • Not really fussed by any of the emo bands, but Jimmy eat world are awesome, and far more a straight up rock band than emo anyway, listen to the song Salt, Sweat, Sugar (formerly titled Bleed American before 9/11) - that is a rock song pure and simple - if you think it's emo, then you better add bands like Foo Fighters to the list too.
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    I definitely dont class Jimmy Eat World in the same category as bands like MCR or Fallout boy, some of JEW's stuff is great. I like the Bleed American album but prefer the earlier ones. Probably put them in order of :

Clarity
    Static Prevails
    The Singles
    Bleed American

Dont have anything after that though, think they have another album.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • MJSB74MJSB74 Posts: 75
    Jimmy Eat World are a great great band. You shouldn't even think about labelling them with the other bands you mentioned.Their albums are a class above anything Pearl Jam have released recently. May sound a bit strange seeing as PJ are my favourite band of all time, but its just my opinion.
  • geniegenie Posts: 2,222
    yeah, fuck emo bands!!!!!
  • Leo86Leo86 Posts: 165
    Yeah, emo is shit......but Coheed & Cambria are not emo!
    Dublin 23/08/06
    Wembley 18/06/07
    Leo86 wrote:
    Yeah, emo is shit......but Coheed & Cambria are not emo!

That's true. They are faggot ass science fiction music for people who play dundgeons and dragons, wait in line for Star Wars, and live in their parents basesment
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

• Brainofdz wrote:
    That's true. They are faggot ass science fiction music for people who play dundgeons and dragons, wait in line for Star Wars, and live in their parents basesment

LOL! good stuff.

Emo Sucks.
    Walking is still honest
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    suns rival wrote:

im still not sure i understand what emo is. some people tell me at the drive in and bright eyes are emo. of the bands you listed, i dislike most of them, minus death cab and jimmy eat world. kinda odd to see coheed and cambria in the list though... they seems rather different from the rest of those bands, though i dont particularly like them.
    Brainofdz wrote:
    Alot of people have a misconception about what real emo is about. Bands like Taking back Sunday, Hawthorne Heights, and Fall Out Boy pass for emo these days. They are no more emo than Silverchair, Seven Mary Three, and Bush were grunge. Real emo is more like Sunny Day Real Estate, Mineral, Texas is the Reason,and The Promise Ring. Hell, even the 1st Weezer album was in the ballpark, but traditional emo is basically obsolete. It doesn't have to be whiny, gay crap. It's supposed to be heavy musically, with clearly sang, meaningful lyrics. Nice concept in the right hands.

dont be knockin silverchair. they're the most under-rated band of the last 10 years.
    it's not really music. it's a visual that has some noise that goes along with it. it's all really shitty. the thing about real rock n roll music is that it's based on the blues. and the blues were about bein' in a shitty situation and venting about it. emo twats that "start a bands" are all from middle to upper class families who get their starts from daddy's paycheck. it's such a joke to the rock n' roll world. they sing about heartbreak because that's the only somewhat real element in any of their pussy lives. i wish gg alin was still alive. :(

so you're saying money truly CAN buy happiness and nobody with money should ever be allowed to feel sad or frustrated?

im sorry, but that's the dumbest fucking post ive ever seen. and i dont even like the bands mentioned here.
    stu gee wrote:
    I definitely dont class Jimmy Eat World in the same category as bands like MCR or Fallout boy, some of JEW's stuff is great. I like the Bleed American album but prefer the earlier ones. Probably put them in order of :

Clarity
    Static Prevails
    The Singles
    Bleed American

Dont have anything after that though, think they have another album.

they do. i didnt care for static prevails. their last album was called futures and i thought it was incredible. much more straight ahead rock than anything they'd ever done before.
    it's not really music. it's a visual that has some noise that goes along with it. it's all really shitty. the thing about real rock n roll music is that it's based on the blues. and the blues were about bein' in a shitty situation and venting about it. emo twats that "start a bands" are all from middle to upper class families who get their starts from daddy's paycheck. it's such a joke to the rock n' roll world. they sing about heartbreak because that's the only somewhat real element in any of their pussy lives. i wish gg alin was still alive. :(

GG Alin was the ultimate visual with noise to go along with it. He was a total fucking gimmick and his music was garbage. Furthermore, I suspect you don't know anything about him other than a blurb in Rolling Stone. You probably only brought this up so people would think your taste was so obscure and unpredictable.

dont be knockin silverchair. they're the most under-rated band of the last 10 years.

Are you serious?

• so you're saying money truly CAN buy happiness and nobody with money should ever be allowed to feel sad or frustrated?

im sorry, but that's the dumbest fucking post ive ever seen. and i dont even like the bands mentioned here.

you consider these cunts having real feelings of sadness and frustration? i am sure there are plenty of wealthy people that are depressed or something, but that's not what these little kiddies are singing about.

i didn't even mention any bands...so, i guess the dumbest fucking reader i have ever seen read the "dumbest fucking post."
  • over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    MTVmo =/= Emo

Go listen to Sunny Day Real Estate. That band is class.
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

you consider these cunts having real feelings of sadness and frustration? i am sure there are plenty of wealthy people that are depressed or something, but that's not what these little kiddies are singing about.

i didn't even mention any bands...so, i guess the dumbest fucking reader i have ever seen read the "dumbest fucking post."

while you're tossing around reading accusations, notice my post said the bands mentioned here as in this thread, not your post. so in addition to being a self-righteous little indie snob, you apparently can't read... musta been that poor education you got in your deprived childhood? i guess on the upside, at least you're "cooler" and more "real" than anyone who ever lived in a suburb.

oh shit man, i forgot, you have a computer and internet access... you're quite the pampered little rich kid yourself. what are you whining about? did fall out boy beat up your mother?
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    I'm probably dating myself but every time I read "emo" I think of this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emo_Philips
  • suns rival wrote:
    Dashboard Confessional, Coheed and Cambria, Death Cab for Cutie,

i like these Bands, C&C are pretty good musically jsut look past the lead singers voice,

other bands of that Genre that i enjoy include:
    Thrice
    Thursday
    The Early November
    Sparta
    Brand New
    Circa Survive
    "I Will Scream my Lungs out 'til it fills this Room "

" I Will Feel Alive as Long as I am Free"

"Are We Getting SomeThing Out Of this All Encompassing Trip? Makes Much More Sense To Live In The Present Tense"

www.myspace.com/ehoff12982
  • I'm bumping this cause there seems to be a lot of discussion about this recently.

I'm not sure what to say at this point except that emo is probably one of the most widely misunderstood genre, surpassing even grunge which a lot of you should be able to relate to.

It also seems like a lot of people formed their opinions of the bands that get labeled as emo from the stereotype rather than the music itself. Eh, just a few observations.
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Are Finch emo? I quite like them.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • SundinSundin Posts: 11
    Everyone likes to stereotype and hate uh ? Some geniuses in this thread.
    Now if you don't like emo, why don't you go ahead and NOT listen to any of it ? Why come to a board and make such a ridiculously dumb thread ? I understand that you may not like a certain band or another but holy crap is this completely pointless. It's just an occasion for you sad hipsters wannabe to trash someone who likes something different than you do, and god knows they're wrong about that uh ?
    Lame bunch.
  • ArctangentArctangent Posts: 614
    Are Finch emo? I quite like them.

i think bits of their first album may be classed as 'emo' by some but not their second album, which was just bonkers. shame they split after making such a damn good record.
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Arctangent wrote:
    i think bits of their first album may be classed as 'emo' by some but not their second album, which was just bonkers. shame they split after making such a damn good record.

Yeah I got into them after hearing them do an accoustic cover of a Nirvana song, think it was Dumb, they seem sort of borderline Emo, but I dont really care I like the music that's all that matters.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.