whaf if chris cornell...

suns rivalsuns rival Posts: 15,926
edited August 2007 in Other Music
...would join alice in chains?

would he fit with the band & co-exist with cantrell, inez & kinney?

forget duvall. :)
scratching my butt...
kinakamot ang aking puwit...
me rascando pompis...
krap mijn reet...
boku no ketsuoana o kizu...
bahrosh teezy...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    then it'd be 2 has-beens for the price of 1
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Duvall's good with AIC....
  • Atomic PunkAtomic Punk Posts: 2,941
    I agree, Duvall is very good with Alice in Chains.
  • I also agree, Duvall's voice really fits with AIC but I don't think Cornell's would.
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
  • jsasojsaso Posts: 179
    what if chris cornell...became a woman?
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    I'm not too fond of Cornell's solo stuff. But at least he isn't rehashing the grunge sound that he was so sucsessful with. I don't know why people keep saying 'Soundgarden should reunite!' 'he should join AIC!'. I suppose it would be fun for a while but you wouldn't really get anything exciting out of it.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    it would be rather interesting
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    I think he could do a fairly good job of it, he can do that mournful kind of sound very well - their voices worked really well together on Right Turn. Personally though I think it would just be better as a one off, he could tear the fucking roof off on Man In The Box or Rooster.

DuVall is a great singer, and in my opinion does the songs justice without sounding like a Layne clone.
  • I also agree, Duvall's voice really fits with AIC but I don't think Cornell's would.

I agree, Cornell's voice would not blend with Cantrell's the way Staley's voice did. I am going to see AIC in August, so I am glad people think Duvall sounds good.

On another note, Cantrell is not a has been. I really liked Degredation Trip.

...pie
    To pie I will reply
    But mr. justam
    is who I am

"That's a repulsive combination of horrible information and bad breath."-Pickles

"Remember, death is a natural part of the workplace. So, when you see a dead body at work, don't freak out, just ring your death bell." "ting"-Toki Wartooth
  • It would be great but who would then be the singer in Audioslave? Jerry Cantrell might be good.
  • DCGARDENDCGARDEN Posts: 515
    HERE IS WHY IT WON'T WORK:

Morello: Cornell Prefers "Hired Hands"
    Tom Morello believes that former Audioslave bandmate Chris Cornell is likely happier as a solo artist. "I think that he's probably much more comfortable with a band of hired hands than a band of equals," says the Rage Against the Machine axeman. "That's fine. He has earned that right." Morello -- currently touring under his Nightwatchman solo alter ego -- also reveals he has not spoken with Cornell in "many months, almost bordering on a year now."
    Star Tribune/sunjournal.com
    Copyright © 2007 MJI Interactive,
    an Excelsior Radio Company. All rights reserved.
    I'll keep taking punches
    Untill their will grows tired
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    I thought this thread was going to say "what if Chris Cornell.....wasn't a dick".

from the limited bit that I understand, Soundgarden broke up because Cornell wanted sole say in what direction the band went in. again, just the "way I understand it", Thayil and Sheppard wanted to keep it on the heavy and sonic road that they had been going with BMF and SUK and Cornell wanted to take it to a lighter more laid back style like some of the songs on DOTUS and his solo work. and because it was his way or no way, the band broke up. and again, the way I understand, that's pretty much why Audioslave broke up too, because he wanted too much control. I love Soundgarden and Cornell was a great singer, but I'm sorry, he comes off as a MAJOR dick.

It wouldn't work in AIC because for one, Jerry is going to be the main songwriter. even if that's not a rule that is written in stone, I don't think anyone is going to come in and dictate to Jerry what songs he's going to play. further, if you've seen any of the home video footage or interviews, the members of AIC, at least during the times that Staley was somewhat clean, seemed to be a band that genuinely liked and respected each other. and historically, Cornell has shown that he doesn't play well with others, at least in the longrun. I don't like Morello, but I believe him 100%.

after hearing Cornell on Howard Stern, I'd say that his voice is damn near shot. but anybody that says AIC are "has beens" deserves to be kicked in the nuts (or vagina, or whatever they may have between their legs). they put on one of the best shows I've ever seen and I have no doubt whatsoever that Cantrell can still write killer songs. I saw them live with Duvall, and he's good. I've also seen some videos on youtube where it doesn't go over as well. but I'm telling you, LIVE IN PERSON INSIDE A VENUE, Duvall fits the bill. I get the feeling that the people saying Duvall sucks are are the ones who saw him on a badly recorded video on youtube and not actually in person.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    It would be great but who would then be the singer in Audioslave? Jerry Cantrell might be good.

audioslave no longer exist so it's not a concern. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • bookmusebookmuse Posts: 277
    MLC2006 wrote:

after hearing Cornell on Howard Stern, I'd say that his voice is damn near shot. but anybody that says AIC are "has beens" deserves to be kicked in the nuts (or vagina, or whatever they may have between their legs). they put on one of the best shows I've ever seen and I have no doubt whatsoever that Cantrell can still write killer songs. I saw them live with Duvall, and he's good. I've also seen some videos on youtube where it doesn't go over as well. but I'm telling you, LIVE IN PERSON INSIDE A VENUE, Duvall fits the bill. I get the feeling that the people saying Duvall sucks are are the ones who saw him on a badly recorded video on youtube and not actually in person.

Kind of like the people who say Cornell's voice is shot who hear him on the Howard Stern show or bad youtube clips. I've seen him twice this tour and his voice is certainly not shot and he is not a has been. His music is different and yes he may have some issues but who doesn't. My favorite band has certainly had their issues and struggle over who controls the band. In fact, it most likely still occurs just lucky for us they still choose to be in PJ.

I don't see why Jerry Cantrell doesn't sing. Hearing his solo albums he could so pull it off but then who'd play guitar. I like AIC but no Chris should not be their singer. There is nothing wrong with trying to do different things artistically.
    "Speak your mind even if your voice shakes" ~ M Kuhn
    bookmuse wrote:
    Kind of like the people who say Cornell's voice is shot who hear him on the Howard Stern show or bad youtube clips. I've seen him twice this tour and his voice is certainly not shot and he is not a has been. His music is different and yes he may have some issues but who doesn't. My favorite band has certainly had their issues and struggle over who controls the band. In fact, it most likely still occurs just lucky for us they still choose to be in PJ.

I don't see why Jerry Cantrell doesn't sing. Hearing his solo albums he could so pull it off but then who'd play guitar. I like AIC but no Chris should not be their singer. There is nothing wrong with trying to do different things artistically.

you make a good point there. I'm sure in the right setting and with a band, Cornell would be great still. but over the radio with only an acoustic guitar, it didn't go over so well.

but yeah, I think we agree that he wouldn't work too well with AIC. I think AIC are different from PJ and Soundgarden though. the way I've always seen it, even when Layne was alive and with the band, is that Jerry has always been the centerpiece of AIC. PJ had 3 chief songwriters no their first fews albums and Thayil was as important to SG as Cornell was. but AIC IS Jerry, and I don't see someone like Cornell stepping in and taking the reigns from him. not saying that Jerry is a dictator or anything, I'm just saying it's always been HIS band more than anybody else's.
  • bookmusebookmuse Posts: 277
    MLC2006 wrote:
    you make a good point there. I'm sure in the right setting and with a band, Cornell would be great still. but over the radio with only an acoustic guitar, it didn't go over so well.

but yeah, I think we agree that he wouldn't work too well with AIC. I think AIC are different from PJ and Soundgarden though. the way I've always seen it, even when Layne was alive and with the band, is that Jerry has always been the centerpiece of AIC. PJ had 3 chief songwriters no their first fews albums and Thayil was as important to SG as Cornell was. but AIC IS Jerry, and I don't see someone like Cornell stepping in and taking the reigns from him. not saying that Jerry is a dictator or anything, I'm just saying it's always been HIS band more than anybody else's.

I agree with you- it is Jerry's band and that is how it should remain be. What a brilliant band :D

Even though I'm a quite the Cornell fan, I agree AIC is not the place for him. I think all these musicians should do what makes them happy. They've paid their dues and it's their art and I am grateful that they've expressed themselves and are not corporate pop. People think Cornell has sold out - But IMO "Carry ON" is different and really not that radio friendly. I remember when Euphoria Morning came out -all the hub bub. I appreciate the rocking and the softer side of Chris. I've grown up on his music.
    "Speak your mind even if your voice shakes" ~ M Kuhn
  • so chris cornell goes good with everything to me.... but Layne is the ONLY singer of AIC. :D
    "You are a furry thing....you me me you its all related"
    but Layne is the ONLY singer of AIC. :D

then obviously you've never heard AIC because Jerry does about as much of the singing as Layne, particularly on the 2 EPs and the final studio album.
  • audioslave no longer exist so it's not a concern. :)

tut. I should pay more attention I guess.
  • InHiding19InHiding19 Posts: 2,385
    What if Chris Cornell Showed up at the Vic and played Hunger Strike?

man that would be sweet to bad I don't have tix
    Out of the Blue and Into the Black................Uncle Neil Philly 08 here I come!!!!