Options

Ben Harper - Both sides of the gun!

2»

Comments

• Options
    Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    The mellow side is solid.
    The "heavy" side sucks. I wish he would go back to playin more rock and roll style for his heavy stuff. Jaded, Glory and Consequence, thats the stuff right there.
  • Options
    tvereholtverehol Posts: 1
    Anyone have the song "Dressed in Black" off of the bonus disk Internet Special edition of "Both Sides of the Gun" in mp3 format. I bought the special edition of the album on Tuesday, not realizing that the special edition in stores was different than the one on the net, and I am hearing that Dressed in Black is not to be missed. Anyway if somebody out there has it in mp3 format, wonder would they be so kind as to share it/email it? The album by the way is awesome.

Thanks so much,

Terry Holloway.

tvh69@hotmail.com
  • Options
    i got idi got id Posts: 862
    i love both cds...i can't wait for his us tour...
  • Options
    I guess I need to listen to both discs more and allow the album to grow on me because right now I'm just not all that blown away.
  • Options
    CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    I am really into the political disc right now, I think it is really solid from start to finish with the exception being "Gather Round The Stone"(if that is even the name of the song, I don't look at the case enough, the song with the Red Sox verse). Almost all of the songs on that disc are excellent. I like the love disc too, but right now I am really into the politcal one.

Really surprised he pulled this off, a good double album is hard enough to do, but with the completely contrasting subject matters it is pretty much two different albums packaged together.
  • Options
    I just bought the disc yesterday, I have a question...is this album considered a solo disc, I know that the members of the innocent criminals contribute to a few songs, but for the most part Ben seems to do all the playing on a bunch of the tracks and I don't see '& The Innocent Criminals' anywhere on the cover.
    05/02/03 Buffalo, 06/28/03 Toronto, 09/13/05 Hamilton, 09/19/05 Toronto, 05/09/06 Toronto, 05/10/06 Toronto
    Keep On Rockin In The Free World
    http://spaces.msn.com/brileys
  • Options
    pickupyourwillpickupyourwill Posts: 3,135
    I just heard the album , and can't take it out of my player : the first CD is totally acoustic and only ballads but the second one is GREAT and very funky . my favourites are "Black rain" a song he wrote about what happened in new orleans , and "Don't talk about murder" is a rock blues country mixture and a geat slide solo! and the best song , one of the best in the Ben Harper catalogue is "Serve your soul" maybe a tribute to "Led Zeppelin" one of his influences , the song recalls one of their hits "No quarter" excelent album !!

this album sounds like it would be really good. i only know a couple of ben's songs--i really like With My Own Two Hands. just recently got the Curious George cd w/ him and Jack Johnson singing it. lookin forward to getting this album.
  • Options
    I just bought the disc yesterday, I have a question...is this album considered a solo disc, I know that the members of the innocent criminals contribute to a few songs, but for the most part Ben seems to do all the playing on a bunch of the tracks and I don't see '& The Innocent Criminals' anywhere on the cover.

Ya, Ben plays all the instruments on quite a few of the tracks....

He also produced it by himself too, instead of JP Plunier??

I love the album so much!!!! And according to benharper.net it is a "Ben Harper & The Innocent Criminals Tour" this summer so that's reassuring.

I was worried there for a while that maybe there had been some problems but seeing the tour name with the Innocent Criminals I hope all is well.

It's a real new approach though, the fact he played so many of the instruments, I'm really happy with the result though:)
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • Options
    krzzzymarykrzzzymary Posts: 458
    VEDHEAD27 wrote:
    This album is absolutely beeeeautiful. I wouldn't expect anything less from Beautiful Ben. :):o The gorgeous soul can do no wrong and has yet to disappoint me. In my opinion, when you have it ,you HAVE IT...and Ben has an never-ending supply of heart, SOUL, funk, SPIRIT, feeling, honesty, PASSION, compassion, intensity, POETRY, TALENT and BEAUTY ...which in turn leads to an endless supply amazing music!!! The soul and feeling behind the music is sooooooo powerful. It always manages to makes me tear up and gives me chills. The beautiful man is always consistant with bringing us gorgeous albums overflowing with incredible musicianship! And it all just keeps getting better and better!

I currently cannot get passed...

*Picture In A Frame
    *Reason To Mourn
    *Crying Won't Help You Now

:o:o:o

I love this man! This album SHINES and I know it's only gonna get brighter and brighter with each listen.

THAT is exactly how I feel about him but I could never express myself as beautiful as that.
    "You can bomb the world to pieces but you can't bomb into peace"
    Michael Franti