tom waits recommendations?

ivotedbush04ivotedbush04 Posts: 52
edited January 2008 in Other Music
what are some good albums a new fan should start out with?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I honestly think his latest is most consistent, 'Orphans - Brawlers, Bawlers and Bastards'.. but I'm a fairly new fan.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • say_hisay_hi Posts: 312
    I was literally about to ask this question...
    4/30/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05, 5/4/06 (Letterman Mini-Concert), 5/5/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10
  • I'm a brand new fan too. Blood Money and Bone Machine sound pretty tight.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Don't listen to Mark, he's crazy :D Orphans is amazing but it's anything but consistent. I would recommend getting it but check out Mule Variations and Bone Machine first, if you like them, go for Rain Dogs and Swordfishtrombones.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Don't forget to check out his old barfly stuff too. Small Change is an amazing album.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • fotdfotd Posts: 514
    Man, I was just about to ask the same question!
    I’ve seen Pearl Jam 25 times, Eddie Vedder 9 times, and Brad once.
  • Abner11Abner11 Posts: 67
    Mule Variations is a great one to cut your teeth with as a new fan. For older stuff, Small Change, Swordfishtrombones and Rain Dogs are staples. There is a compelation of his stuff while on Island Records called "Beautiful Maladies" that isn't too shabby. While I love his old stuff, I'm more a fan of the newer work, so I listen to Alice, Blood Money, Real Gone and Orphans quite a bit. But I think Mule Variations would be a good mix for you.
    10/96 Hartford, 9/98 Hartford, 7/03 Mansfield I, 9/04 Boston I, 5/06 Boston I (Best crowd to date)
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Don't listen to Mark, he's crazy :D Orphans is amazing but it's anything but consistent. I would recommend getting it but check out Mule Variations and Bone Machine first, if you like them, go for Rain Dogs and Swordfishtrombones.

Go and stick your head down a toilet. :D
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Go and stick your head down a toilet. :D
    Don't get fresh with me sunshine, me and Tom go way back. I know my shiz :p
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • SchokiSchoki Posts: 5,072
    Used Songs
    Early Years Vol.2
  • spnoonespnoone Posts: 628
    pre-kathleen, start with small change, or closing time, or nighthawks at the diner, or heart of saturday night. post kathleen, start with swordfishtrombones, or mule variations, or bone machine. if i have to pick just one, small change.
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    Don't forget to check out his old barfly stuff too. Small Change is an amazing album.
    I'd agree with that. Small change is a great album.

I don't know a huge amount of his stuff, but of what I've heard I think my favourite album is Heart of Saturday night
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • mule variations
    rain dogs
    swordfish trombones
    nighthawks at the diner (one of eddies fav records)
    and for new stuff Real Gone
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Real Gone has got some gems on it, that is the one that made me a fan. His older stuff is good too.
  • Gotta get Blue Valentine and Heartattack and wine both records are pure genius
    "Actually we could do a commercial for Dodge, Can't Find A Better Van"
    E.V
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    Bone Machine borders close to perfection imo
    Real Gone is fucking powerful

i also have Asylum Years, but it doesn't grab me
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick