Luka.....

obiwon76obiwon76 Posts: 568
edited July 2007 in Other Music
I've always been a great fan of this song by Suzanne Vega. Not sure when the first time I heard it, but as the years went by and I would occasionally hear it, I was interested in finding out what her inspriation was to write it. Recently, I found an interview in which she discussed her motivation behind it:

A few years ago, I used to see this group of children playing in front of my building, and there was one of them, whose name was Luka, who seemed a little bit distinctive from the other children. I always remembered his name, and I always remembered his face, and I didn't know much about him, but he just seemed set apart from these other children that I would see playing. And his character is what I based the song Luka on. In the song, the boy Luka is an abused child—in real life I don't think he was. I think he was just different

This is a great example of the power of music. How she could take a real life situation and turn it into a song of inspiration for those over the world who have experienced something similar. Amazing... Beautiful song.
San Fran 92, San Fran 93, Berkeley 93, Indio 93, Fairfax 94, DC 95, San Fran 95, DC 95, Va Beach 98, Columbia 98, Dc 98, Va Beach 00, Columbia 00, Philly 03, Bristow 03, Chicago 06, Chicago 06, Dc 06, DC 08
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MJSB74MJSB74 Posts: 75
    This is a great song. I bought the 7" of this the same day my Grandad died(which I think was 1987) and Ive never played it once because its too hard for me.
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    obiwon76 wrote:
    I've always been a great fan of this song by Suzanne Vega. Not sure when the first time I heard it, but as the years went by and I would occasionally hear it, I was interested in finding out what her inspriation was to write it. Recently, I found an interview in which she discussed her motivation behind it:

A few years ago, I used to see this group of children playing in front of my building, and there was one of them, whose name was Luka, who seemed a little bit distinctive from the other children. I always remembered his name, and I always remembered his face, and I didn't know much about him, but he just seemed set apart from these other children that I would see playing. And his character is what I based the song Luka on. In the song, the boy Luka is an abused child—in real life I don't think he was. I think he was just different

This is a great example of the power of music. How she could take a real life situation and turn it into a song of inspiration for those over the world who have experienced something similar. Amazing... Beautiful song.

Have you heard The Lemonheads cover? awesome.:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    I absolutely love her music. I saw her in Hartford years ago and it was one of the best shows ever. I still listen to her. I agree with what you said. Thanks for bringing it up. :)
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • obiwon76obiwon76 Posts: 568
    If you have time, go to You.Tube and you will find a few live performances of the song. One in particular was an open festival back in 1987, the performance is very moving, especially Suzanne. I believe she is one of few singers I can just sit there and watch for 2 hours in amazement.
    San Fran 92, San Fran 93, Berkeley 93, Indio 93, Fairfax 94, DC 95, San Fran 95, DC 95, Va Beach 98, Columbia 98, Dc 98, Va Beach 00, Columbia 00, Philly 03, Bristow 03, Chicago 06, Chicago 06, Dc 06, DC 08