wilco in iowa last night

verb_to_trustverb_to_trust Posts: 178
edited June 2007 in Other Music
amazing band........tweedy looks happy and healthy. Glenn kotche is a BEAST on the drum kit. I was having an absolute great time until a freaking brawl erupted on Nels Kline's side of the stage.......the look of disgust on tweedy's face was sad....this was during the first encore and i saw him mouth one encore after everything got straightened out......the show was about 20 minutes short as result. When we left there were like 3 police cars there........bummer

go see this band thugh.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I'd love to see them, wish they'd come to MN.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    That sucks. Everyone was obviously fighting to get closer to see the blur of Nel's fingers as he laid it down during the encore.

he tends to insight riots with his playing you know :D

I'm seeing them on Tuesday :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    I saw Wilco a few years ago at Langarado festival in Florida, and they were great live. I've been unable to get into their CDs though.

Did Nels Cline ever play with Mike Watt? I swear i saw this guy rip it up with Watt's band in a small place a few years back.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • intodeep wrote:
    That sucks. Everyone was obviously fighting to get closer to see the blur of Nel's fingers as he laid it down during the encore.

he tends to insight riots with his playing you know :D

I'm seeing them on Tuesday :)

I'll be there tuesday,too. If you know anyone who wants to go but doesn't have a ticket, PM me. I'm trying to unload my spare 12th row seat. My girlfriend doesn't want to go, and I don't have too many friends here yet, I'm still pretty new.
    I like bands.
    I'll be there tuesday,too. If you know anyone who wants to go but doesn't have a ticket, PM me. I'm trying to unload my spare 12th row seat. My girlfriend doesn't want to go, and I don't have too many friends here yet, I'm still pretty new.

for the poster above this one who asked about Nels. Yes he played with Mike Watt for a little while. Also have you checked out their live album Kicking Television. Perhaps if you heard the live versions of the songs it may help? Plus nels plays on Kicking Television so it is worth having just for that.

Penguin. I'll ask around my friends besides my roomate who is going with me are idiots and don't like wilco. they think they are boring. But i'll let you know if i can find someone i know how shitty it can be to get stuck with an extra ticket. If you can't find anyone maybe you could sell it at the show.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • OmahaJammerOmahaJammer Posts: 261
    I'd love to see them, wish they'd come to MN.

They are....they're playing in Duluth on August 14th.

I was at the Davenport show as well...dead center, front row.....I was so close I actually felt uncomfortable. I've got some great pics from the show if anybody's interested. You're right, though....those douchebags that decided to fight during a Wilco performance ruined it for everyone....I've got the setlist as well, and they cut a LOT of great songs off the end of it. A great show, awesome vibe, and then it got ruined.
    Maybe all I need is a shot in the arm....
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    intodeep wrote:
    for the poster above this one who asked about Nels. Yes he played with Mike Watt for a little while. Also have you checked out their live album Kicking Television. Perhaps if you heard the live versions of the songs it may help? Plus nels plays on Kicking Television so it is worth having just for that.

Penguin. I'll ask around my friends besides my roomate who is going with me are idiots and don't like wilco. they think they are boring. But i'll let you know if i can find someone i know how shitty it can be to get stuck with an extra ticket. If you can't find anyone maybe you could sell it at the show.

So are we having a Message Pit Tailgate @ Chastain on Tuesday or what?!?

Can't wait for the show!

We're coming in from Tallahassee and don't know too many people in Atlanta. Sorry, but we don't know anyone in need of a ticket right now. Have you tried to sell it on craigslist? I looked for Red Sox tickets for Monday there and had decent luck. Noticed several posts about Wilco, too.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
    rhinomagic wrote:
    So are we having a Message Pit Tailgate @ Chastain on Tuesday or what?!?

I wish. I'll be working and will probalby do everything i can to get down there ASAP after work. Probalby won't have much time to tailgate. :(

Traffic getting into Chastain is usually a BITCH! Well i've only seen two other shows there and it was horrible both times.

I think i'm going into wilco mode this weekend i'll have to listen to a lot of their stuff.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • ThingFishThingFish Posts: 10
    They are....they're playing in Duluth on August 14th.

Really?
    "There is only one thing I dread: not to be worthy of my sufferings."
    -Dostoevksy
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    I saw Wilco a few years ago at Langarado festival in Florida, and they were great live. I've been unable to get into their CDs though.

Did Nels Cline ever play with Mike Watt? I swear i saw this guy rip it up with Watt's band in a small place a few years back.

Nels was the guitarist on Mike Watt's punk rock opera, Contemplating the Engine Room. It's an excellent album. He also played on a few songs on Watt's first solo, Ball-Hog or Tugboat. I also reccommend Live at Perkins' Palace by Banyan. It's Nels, Mike Watt, Stephen Perkins from Jane's Addiction, and another guy on trumpet doing improvised jazz-rock.
    ThingFish wrote:
    Really?

Really. Bayfront Festival Park. Whatever that is.
    Here are the ten best pictures I took at the show last night. They're not great...but they're close up.

http://forums.viachicago.org/index.php?showtopic=29225&st=20#entry895878
  • They are....they're playing in Duluth on August 14th.
    Well hot damn!!! Thanks!

They must love Duluth, they went there last summer too. I hope I can make it, it just sucks that it's in the middle of the week and Duluth is 4 hours away.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • ThingFishThingFish Posts: 10
    I hope I can make it, too.

Anyone know when the tickets go on sale?
    "There is only one thing I dread: not to be worthy of my sufferings."
    -Dostoevksy
  • just started listenin. i dig. what's a good first album to buy of theirs? their new one any good?
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
    just started listenin. i dig. what's a good first album to buy of theirs? their new one any good?

they are a band that has changed and progressed over the years it is hard to say a good album to start with becasue they all vary so much. Perhaps their live album Kicking Television. It is from the Ghost is Born tour so it is heavy on those songs but does give you a taste of their other albums

Here is a brief run down of the albusm

AM-
    Wilco branched off from uncle tupelo an alt country band. This album has a more of that alt country feel then the others do. Some good songs but i would not start here

Being There-
    Still a little countryish style to them but they are pulling away. Some great straight up rock songs. Some folks call this their fave

Summerteeth-
    A very good album. Pop Rock at its best. Some very catchy songs on here. some folks think this is their best effort.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot-
    Generally thought of by critics (and me) as their best album. Jim O'rouke (jim has worked with sonic youth and others) plays on the album and helps produce it i think. They take simple songs and add "noise" to them to make them more interesting. I love this album i can't say enough good things about it. It is probably my favorite album in the 00's but it was a grower for me. I did not like it when i first listened to it.

A Ghost is Born-
    Some wonderful songs on this album. To me if this album has a down fall it is that it is all over the place. I have a hard time putting it on and listening to it all the way through. In my opinion it has some of their best songs but it just does not flow as an album

Sky Blue Sky-
    This is their newest. It is very stripped down basic rock. I hate to say it but it does border line on easy listening. Some wonderful guitar work and is my favorite lazy sunday afternoon album. I would not start here, but i would make sure you get it eventually because their are some gems on this album like you are my face, side with seeds, walken, what light, hell i like almost all the songs it is just a very slow paced cd.

Mermaid Ave Vol 1&2 Billy Bragg & Wilco-
    not a good starting point but good to keep in mind. Billy Bragg and Wilco took old Woody Guthrie lyrics and put music to them. Vol 1 was better then Vol 2 but their are some great songs on both.

hope that helps. in the end i would probalby suggest kicking television as a starting point. then you can go from their based on which songs off of that you like the best.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • anyone looking for one or a pair of tix to the 6/21 show? If so, PM me...been trying to unload for months
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens
    2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
    EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
    Wilco webcast from bonoroo is on now :)