Runnin Down A Dream Film

pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
edited October 2007 in Other Music
If you dont have it, I highly suggest it. Great to see such an in depth look at Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers. The film was very comparable to No Direction Home.
Alpine Valley 2000
Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    If you dont have it, I highly suggest it. Great to see such an in depth look at Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers. The film was very comparable to No Direction Home.

I really enjoyed the film. It is spectacular. I learned so much. I had no idea that Tom and the Heartbreakers were once Dylan's back up band. The concert dvd is great too, brought back memories of the awesome show in Dallas I saw cause he had stevie nicks at that show too.

I still need to get "no direction home" I know I'm a year late picking that one up :o
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    red mos wrote:
    I really enjoyed the film. It is spectacular. I learned so much. I had no idea that Tom and the Heartbreakers were once Dylan's back up band. The concert dvd is great too, brought back memories of the awesome show in Dallas I saw cause he had stevie nicks at that show too.

I still need to get "no direction home" I know I'm a year late picking that one up :o

I am a huge fan and I didnt have any idea of everything that went on with the band. Such a value too, 25 bucks for a 4 hour film (pretty sure it was at least 4), concert dvd, and cd of unreleased songs.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
    I am a huge fan and I didnt have any idea of everything that went on with the band. Such a value too, 25 bucks for a 4 hour film (pretty sure it was at least 4), concert dvd, and cd of unreleased songs.
    Agreed my friend, agreed. :D Such a great deal for this package. It's my understanding that the 4 disc one that we have is just a Best buy exclusive or a TomPetty.com release. $25 bucks was a hell of a deal for all of that.

I heard other retail outlets are just selling the 2 disc film is that correct?
  • I agree with ya'll. Tom Petty's DVD is the best thing musically I've bought all year.

Tom Petty is my all-time favorite, but PJ is a very close 2nd. The night I got to see them both in Denver was one of the all-time best moments.

But I find myself talking more about PJ because they are more fan-friendly. They come with with CDs more frequently, and they put out more stuff for their fans. Tom Petty hasn't quite got up to speed with the digital age. He puts out stuff less frequently.

That's why I was very surprised to see all the stuff that came with this DVD. It blows "Picture in a Frame" out of the water. "PIAF" is good, it's just not as in depth as previous PJ dvds. I loved the storytelling in Tom Petty's. I found it fascinating that they had all that footage. For every incident they were talking about, there was footage for.

I recommend buying it. You can't beat the price, and for everyone that complained about PJ opening for TP, you'll learn why they did.
    I agree with ya'll. Tom Petty's DVD is the best thing musically I've bought all year.

Tom Petty is my all-time favorite, but PJ is a very close 2nd. The night I got to see them both in Denver was one of the all-time best moments.

But I find myself talking more about PJ because they are more fan-friendly. They come with with CDs more frequently, and they put out more stuff for their fans. Tom Petty hasn't quite got up to speed with the digital age. He puts out stuff less frequently.

That's why I was very surprised to see all the stuff that came with this DVD. It blows "Picture in a Frame" out of the water. "PIAF" is good, it's just not as in depth as previous PJ dvds. I loved the storytelling in Tom Petty's. I found it fascinating that they had all that footage. For every incident they were talking about, there was footage for.

I recommend buying it. You can't beat the price, and for everyone that complained about PJ opening for TP, you'll learn why they did.
    I agree with this too especially why pj opened for Tom Petty. It still blows my mind all the whining and crying that went on after those co headlining shows (excluding the tix prices, granted they were high, but I know damn well worth it). Ed obviously holds great respect for Tom and the heartbreakers. I know this even more know cause of those documentary and his interviews.
    The thing people are missing is: if you are in a band, it is deemed an absolute honor to OPEN for someone you have admiration for. I wish I could have made it out to a pj/ petty co headline. I know it was mindblowing.
    on a side note: Dave Grohl's comment regarding him playing with Petty on SNL for "Honeybee" made me laugh so hard, but as you see he is a perfect example of what I am trying to type into words. If bands you look up too, turn around and ask your band to play with them it truly is deemed am honor. The people who pissed and moaned about the PJ/Petty combo need to realize this and should have looked at it from that perspective even though the tix prices were a little high for a co headline, but thenagain two big bands with loyal fan clubs and fan followers were playing together.
    I heard one guy on here walked out after pj played cause he was pissed pj didn't play a full 25- 30 song set. He missed out big time. I guess not everyone understood the concept of co headline which is 16- 18 songs per band.
  • After the concert, I checked on here to see what people were saying about the concert, and all I read was how Tom Petty sucked. 10c members were was walking out, or just sitting down because they didn't want to hear Petty. There were lies about how the crowd didn't care and a lot walked out. I posted a big post on here calling people out. But as you can see on the DVD, it looked like a lot of people stayed and were having a good time. I would bet the people that complained on here were singing just as loud to "I won't back down" as they were singing to "Jeremy".
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    red mos wrote:
    I agree with this too especially why pj opened for Tom Petty. It still blows my mind all the whining and crying that went on after those co headlining shows (excluding the tix prices, granted they were high, but I know damn well worth it). Ed obviously holds great respect for Tom and the heartbreakers. I know this even more know cause of those documentary and his interviews.
    The thing people are missing is: if you are in a band, it is deemed an absolute honor to OPEN for someone you have admiration for. I wish I could have made it out to a pj/ petty co headline. I know it was mindblowing.
    on a side note: Dave Grohl's comment regarding him playing with Petty on SNL for "Honeybee" made me laugh so hard, but as you see he is a perfect example of what I am trying to type into words. If bands you look up too, turn around and ask your band to play with them it truly is deemed am honor. The people who pissed and moaned about the PJ/Petty combo need to realize this and should have looked at it from that perspective even though the tix prices were a little high for a co headline, but thenagain two big bands with loyal fan clubs and fan followers were playing together.
    I heard one guy on here walked out after pj played cause he was pissed pj didn't play a full 25- 30 song set. He missed out big time. I guess not everyone understood the concept of co headline which is 16- 18 songs per band.
    Hell, even in highschool, if my band gets asked to open for an older band I respect, its an honor!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Looks like I need to go and get this one. I've seen Tom &the HB's 3 times (once at the Gorge and 2x at the Xcel in St. Paul with PJ). All of them excelent. And when I saw them open for PJ, the crowd gave them love and respect both nights. I was happy just to get to go to these shows (only PJ shows that I got to go to in 06).
    when you get confused just listen to the music play........

"You damn well can't lick the system,but you can sure give it a good fondeling."-sleazy estate man(Hugh Laurie on A bit of Fry and Laurie)

"Judas Priest on a two stroke moped!"(Stephen Fry)