Foo Fighters - The Pretender

pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
edited September 2007 in Other Music
Isnt this the exact same song that they released for their last 5 singles? I am sorry but their music has grown so stale and boring, I cant believe they are as popular as they are.

Ill take The Pretender by Jackson Browne over this anyday
Alpine Valley 2000
Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    The Foos are okay. They have a few really cool hard rockin' songs but most of their library needs more dynamics if you ask me.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • DOSW wrote:
    The Foos are okay. They have a few really cool hard rockin' songs but most of their library needs more dynamics if you ask me.

Thought their first album was really cool, its just gone downhill from there. Couldnt stand that double album, just boring as hell to me.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• Thought their first album was really cool, its just gone downhill from there.

You just summed Oasis up for me perfectly there.

If you think The Pretender sounds like Best Of You or Resolve then you need to wash your ears out
    A democracy on paper, apparently well ordered, regularly subverted by irrational chaos.

Manchester - 4/6/2000
    London - 20/4/2006
    Dublin - 23/8/2006
    London - 18/6/2007
    New York City - 24/6/2008
    New York City - 25/6/2008 - we will be "what is up" New York
    Manchester - 18/8/2009
    Manchester - 20/6/2012
    Leeds - 6/7/2014
    London - 18/6/2018
  • chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    Isnt this the exact same song that they released for their last 5 singles?

Obviously not...
    I am sorry but their music has grown so stale and boring, I cant believe they are as popular as they are.

Does it say Oasis rule in your id? ;)
  • Why do you guys always jump on him for liking Oasis?

Anyway I agree with him. The new Foos single s no different than their last few singles. Their last decent output was Nothing Left to Lose
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
    Im not jumping on him for liking Oasis, i like the first two albums..... after that (imo) their music got stale and boring, very repetative to my ears, thats the point i was trying to make.

I have high hopes for the new Foo's album, IYH didnt do it for me.
    But you cant say Best of You sounds the same as any other single they've put out..... well you can say it, but you're wrong to. :D
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    chris01 wrote:
    Im not jumping on him for liking Oasis, i like the first two albums..... after that (imo) their music got stale and boring, very repetative to my ears, thats the point i was trying to make.

But you cant say Best of You sounds the same as any other single they've put out..... well you can say it, but you're wrong to. :D

i always feel like people who say this havent actually listened to any albums post-'be here now.' oasis has changed things up more than the foos. i can see how people would be bored with recent oasis albums, but to say they sound the same as definitely maybe is ridiculous.

that's my issue with the new foos single... it's just plain boring. i wouldn't say their last 2 albums are identical, they just weren't good. though i do think the new single sounds rehashed and resolve is 'times like these' part 2 (but still the best song on that album).
  • Isnt this the exact same song that they released for their last 5 singles? I am sorry but their music has grown so stale and boring, I cant believe they are as popular as they are.

Ill take The Pretender by Jackson Browne over this anyday

It's the best they have done in a long while.
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
    i always feel like people who say this havent actually listened to any albums post-'be here now.' oasis has changed things up more than the foos. i can see how people would be bored with recent oasis albums, but to say they sound the same as definitely maybe is ridiculous.

that's my issue with the new foos single... it's just plain boring. i wouldn't say their last 2 albums are identical, they just weren't good. though i do think the new single sounds rehashed and resolve is 'times like these' part 2 (but still the best song on that album).

I have listened to their albums since BHN, although i admit i havent heard much of the last ones apart from the singles.

They have better musicians in the band now, Gem is certainly a better guitar player than Noel, but their music doesnt really do anything for me nowadays, and its been that way for 10 years (just realised Be Here Now was 10 years ago.... wow)

I never said anything about their stuff sounds like Def Maybe though, that's probably their most individual album.

.. and to clarify, i didnt like 'Resolve' either, but i loved Best of You.

Anyone ever notice (maybe it was just in the UK) that on the radio version of Best of You they turned down the sound on the drums when they kick in?... worst decision ever.

Oh well, i like The Pretender too, each to their own i guess.
  • It's really sad when a guy with a place in rock history puts out a single that's barely discernible from Fall Out Boy. What could he be thinking?

I really like Dave Grohl, but I keep waiting to hear what I loved about TCATS and the first album. As far as the younger listeners in the house go, they've given up on Foo Fighters altogether.
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    quit bitching and go get Ben Harper's new album, Lifeline!
    PROBLEM SOLVED!
  • lgtlgt Posts: 720
    I like it.
  • chris01 wrote:

Well I wasn't talking to you in particular there, but I have noticed anytime pjoasisrule says something bad about another band, someone will reply with "What the fuck do you know, you like Oasis", which I think is a shit thing to do.

Anyway, back to the foos. Granted, Best of You was one of the better songs of their recent singles, but this new one is really boring. I remember when it firs surfaced here, I couldn't believe how much praise was being showered over it, and I stand by my comment that they haven't released anything noteworthy since Nothing Left to Lose. And even that wasn't half as good as Colour and the Shape.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
    And even that wasn't half as good as Colour and the Shape.

Now that i agree with 100%. TCATS never gets boring.
  • I like the new single a lot actually.
    I HATED HATED HATE HATE HATE Best of You.
    As soon as he says I've got another cofession to make I want jab a pic in my ears.

I really like the chorus to the new single. It sounds nothing like One by One (this is the closest song to The Pretender), Times Lie These, Low, DOA, Best Of You, Resolve which are the last singles I remember.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
  • Well I wasn't talking to you in particular there, but I have noticed anytime pjoasisrule says something bad about another band, someone will reply with "What the fuck do you know, you like Oasis", which I think is a shit thing to do.

I think you're mis-construing what was meant by my post at least. I was just highlighting that his opinion of the Foo Fighters is much the same as mine of Oasis. He states that he can't understand why the Foos are as popular as they are.......well, this is the same as many folk feel about his beloved Oasis.

However, I don't see how anyone can compare The Pretender to Best Of You, Resolve or DOA. Yes, it does sound like Monkeywrench. Yes, it does sound like All My Life......but so what? Both those songs are among the best that Dave Grohl has ever written.
    A democracy on paper, apparently well ordered, regularly subverted by irrational chaos.

Manchester - 4/6/2000
    London - 20/4/2006
    Dublin - 23/8/2006
    London - 18/6/2007
    Manchester - 18/8/2009
    Manchester - 20/6/2012
    Leeds - 6/7/2014
    London - 18/6/2018
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    I think you're mis-construing what was meant by my post at least. I was just highlighting that his opinion of the Foo Fighters is much the same as mine of Oasis. He states that he can't understand why the Foos are as popular as they are.......well, this is the same as many folk feel about his beloved Oasis.

However, I don't see how anyone can compare The Pretender to Best Of You, Resolve or DOA. Yes, it does sound like Monkeywrench. Yes, it does sound like All My Life......but so what? Both those songs are among the best that Dave Grohl has ever written.

completely agree....:)
  • You just summed Oasis up for me perfectly there.

If you think The Pretender sounds like Best Of You or Resolve then you need to wash your ears out

Just because just about all Oasis songs have some of the best melodies doesnt mean that they sound the same, I can name 5 songs by them that dont sound a damn thing like the other one.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• i really like the new single. to each their own.
  • maccimacci Posts: 1,057
    lgt wrote:
    I like it.

Yup, me too!
    My lips are shaking.......
  • snipes824 wrote:
    i really like the new single. to each their own.

it rocks my socks
  • Just because just about all Oasis songs have some of the best melodies doesnt mean that they sound the same, I can name 5 songs by them that dont sound a damn thing like the other one.

There isn't one part of that post that actually makes sense

Manchester - 4/6/2000
    London - 20/4/2006
    Dublin - 23/8/2006
    London - 18/6/2007
    Manchester - 18/8/2009
    Manchester - 20/6/2012
    Leeds - 6/7/2014
    London - 18/6/2018
  • i'm trying real hard to like this album, but its not working
    Cheat the odds that made you