Anybody else sick of the work Rick Rubin has done?

pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
edited February 2008 in Other Music
Hes done some great work with the old school rap, Tom Petty, Johnny Cash, and some metal bands but lately it seems like he has just been producing crap. Many will argue but it seems like every RHCP album he has done is just the same boring radio friendly crap, did a poor job with Weezer, and even Linkin Park (shouldnt have worked with them in the first place) make the same tired crap.
Alpine Valley 2000
Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• hmm, maybe......

Im in a minority and prefer the chilis now (some beautiful songs on By The Way), and I love John, especially live, but I would agree Im not a huge fan of the production.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • I'd say the RHCP is his best work, but if you listen to the Dixie Chicks' album he did, you can hear so many similarities. I like that album, alot. But I wonder if he's got into a rut. You can make so many comparisons with the last three RHCP and that Dixie Chicks album. That being said, I absolute love those three RHCP album - my families favorite music.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    I'd say the RHCP is his best work, but if you listen to the Dixie Chicks' album he did, you can hear so many similarities. I like that album, alot. But I wonder if he's got into a rut. You can make so many comparisons with the last three RHCP and that Dixie Chicks album. That being said, I absolute love those three RHCP album - my families favorite music.

You can also see similiarities in Tom Petty, Johnny Cash, and Neil Diamond.....he just uses the exact same formula rather than trying something new or trying to make different artists sound different.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    if he's the guy who did the last tragically hip album, then that was a damn good album.

i dont know enough about him to say though.
  • You can also see similiarities in Tom Petty, Johnny Cash, and Neil Diamond.....he just uses the exact same formula rather than trying something new or trying to make different artists sound different.

I'm thinking you're right. I'd like to hear the Tom Petty though. And did like some of the Johnny Cash work he did.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    I'm thinking you're right. I'd like to hear the Tom Petty though. And did like some of the Johnny Cash work he did.

Well Wildflowers is my favorite record from him and about half of the Petty stuff he produced was quite good, I like alot of the Johnny Cash work as well.........I just have gotten bored with alot of it.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• Well Wildflowers is my favorite record from him and about half of the Petty stuff he produced was quite good, I like alot of the Johnny Cash work as well.........I just have gotten bored with alot of it.

Yeah, I don't think I could listen to the Cash stuff that often. Just not the much there. Wildflowers, favorite Petty album I ever owned too. I also like Full Moon Fever alot. I thought that guy from ELO and The Yardbirds did most of his producing.

not yardbirds, traveling wilburies. Lynn or something like that?
  • Yeah, I don't think I could listen to the Cash stuff that often. Just not the much there. Wildflowers, favorite Petty album I ever owned too. I also like Full Moon Fever alot. I thought that guy from ELO and The Yardbirds did most of his producing.

not yardbirds, traveling wilburies. Lynn or something like that?

Jeff Lynne.:)
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    if he's the guy who did the last tragically hip album, then that was a damn good album.

It was definitely a damn good album, but it was Bob Rock who produced that one.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • His production on Audioslave's Out Of Exile wasn't great; maybe a reason for a lot of the backlash against that album.
  • He`s been involved with some good work, I`ll give him that. But I don`t think he`s the production guru that he is made out to be sometimes.
    No one is ever gonna find ya, if you don`t get yourself lost...........
  • His production on Audioslave's Out Of Exile wasn't great; maybe a reason for a lot of the backlash against that album.

I know he was producer, but I got the impression Brendan O'Brien had a lot more to do with OOE...?

What I really didn't like was the vocal sound on the Audioslave debut - much too dry and toppy, sort of sound Rubin might have given Kiedis, but it didn't bring out the timbre of Cornell's voice at all.
    www.myspace.com/clareobrienwright
    www.chriscornell.org.uk
  • icarus wrote:
    just wait for the new metallica album

...............it will suck just as much as the last one.
  • I know he was producer, but I got the impression Brendan O'Brien had a lot more to do with OOE...?

What I really didn't like was the vocal sound on the Audioslave debut - much too dry and toppy, sort of sound Rubin might have given Kiedis, but it didn't bring out the timbre of Cornell's voice at all.
    Well there's only so much you can do in mixing with crappy production. Anyway, Brendan O' Brien did the production on Revelations and I thought that was a great job.
    I agree with you about the self-titled production, although that sound may have been there to cover up Chris' obvious vocal problems at the time.
  • Well there's only so much you can do in mixing with crappy production. Anyway, Brendan O' Brien did the production on Revelations and I thought that was a great job.
    I agree with you about the self-titled production, although that sound may have been there to cover up Chris' obvious vocal problems at the time.

The basic sound which O'Brien would have worked with in the mix for OOE probably had more to do with the recording engineers on the day than with Rubin. I got the impression he was more of an ideas man than a hands-on knob-twiddling kind of guy.

Re the AS debut, difficult to see how a raw sound with lots of top and no reverb would cover up anyone's vocal problems - it would only exacerbate them. A little reverb covers a multitude of sins (that's why we call it fairy dust...) and I swear there's hardly any on the AS debut. God knows whose decision that was, but I think it sounds awful.
    www.myspace.com/clareobrienwright
    www.chriscornell.org.uk