Who else hates the band cake?

pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
edited January 2008 in Other Music
I think I might even hate this band more than Nickelback, Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, etc. This band is unbelievably bad, I just heard some song called Rock and Roll Lifestyle by them............nauseating.
Alpine Valley 2000
Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Do you ever make any positive threads?

Also, I love the band Cake.

They are really good live and are very clever in their songwriting. Their songs are fun.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Do you ever make any positive threads?

Also, I love the band Cake.

They are really good live and are very clever in their songwriting. Their songs are fun.

Stupid band, I really hope their singer (if you actually wanna call it singing) plays an instrument otherwise he is the least talented singer ever.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    Cake rule!
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Stupid band, I really hope their singer (if you actually wanna call it singing) plays an instrument otherwise he is the least talented singer ever.

He plays guitar.
  • upina2001upina2001 Posts: 764
    I should start by saying i have some pretty open musical tastes, but Cake, and you can add Ween to that list too, just doesnt do it for me.

I would rather listen to cats die.

Toledo, Ohio (September 22, 1996), East Troy, Wisconsin (June 26, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 17, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 18, 2000), Cincinnati, Ohio (August 20, 2000), Columbus, Ohio (August 21, 2000), Nashville, Tennessee (April 18, 2003), Champaign, Illinois (April 23, 2003), Noblesville, Indiana (June 22, 2003), Chicago, Illinois (May 16, 2006), Chicago, Illinois (August 05, 2007), West Palm Beach, Florida (June 11, 2008), Tampa, Florida (June 12, 2008), Columbus, OH (May 06, 2010), Noblesville, Indiana (May 07, 2010), Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013), US Bank Arena (October 01, 2014), Lexington (April 26, 2016), Chicago Night 2 (August 20, 2018), Boston Night 1 (September 02, 2018), Nashville (September 16, 2022), St. Louis (September 18, 2022)

• smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    I like Cake, about a dozen to 15 songs of theirs are on my Ipod

some funky, funny shit

at least they can fit their egos into a stadium, like some other unmentioned band
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
    upina2001 wrote:
    I should start by saying i have some pretty open musical tastes, but Cake, and you can add Ween to that list too, just doesnt do it for me.

LMAO, I am pretty open too.......even to some weird stuff.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• Some bands (Ween, Cake, Flaming Lips) are like novelty bands to me.

They're fun... I just can't take them seriously, therefore I can't listen to them seriously.

They have a kinda Weird Al quality. That makes them annoying and thus...kinda boring.
    the Minions
  • OdinOdin Posts: 599
    I like them cause they're so different.
  • anothercloneanotherclone Posts: 1,688
    I *heart* Cake. I saw them in concert a few years ago, and it was probably the most flat-out fun I've had at a concert in a long time. People were dancing in the aisles, singing and drinking. It was like a total party atmosphere.

You can't go wrong with "Italian Leather Sofa". Brilliant.
    Some bands (Ween, Cake, Flaming Lips) are like novelty bands to me.

They're fun... I just can't take them seriously, therefore I can't listen to them seriously.

They have a kinda Weird Al quality. That makes them annoying and thus...kinda boring.

Annoying/stupid is the best way I can describe them
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• Some bands (Ween, Cake, Flaming Lips) are like novelty bands to me.

Ween & Cake...I can see.

But Flaming Lips a novelty band? I think not.
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    good basslines
    I love to turn you on
  • Their cover of 'I Will Survive' is awesome, and 'Sheep Go to Heaven' is a fucking catchy tune. Great, fun band.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    Annoying/stupid is the best way I can describe them

Yet you sing the praises of the Gin Blossoms!
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    I agree with whoever said they are somewhat like a novelty band. I kind of agree with that. they are like that, though I don't really know why. I guess because a lot of the songs are about completely silly subjects put to electronic and/or lounge music.

but they have VERY good musicianship, the singer writes cleverly crafted lyrics, and they have a unique sound. it's a major insult to put them in the same category as a "pop rock by numbers" band like Nickelback or Creed.
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    Cake were on the bill for a music festival outside in Toronto years ago. They come on stage, play a song, talk shit about Canada, get shit thrown at them, then walk off stage.

Pathetic
  • Ween & Cake...I can see.

But Flaming Lips a novelty band? I think not.

Word... has he even listened to the Soft Bulletin? Maybe prior to Yoshimi/Soft Bulletin, but since they got this "electronic" vibe, they've been making some quality music, with lyrics being a part of that quality.
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    Red Lukin wrote:
    Cake were on the bill for a music festival outside in Toronto years ago. They come on stage, play a song, talk shit about Canada, get shit thrown at them, then walk off stage.

Pathetic

I blame the Edgefest line-up deciders, as putting Cake in between Finger Eleven (back when they were aggressive) and Nicklecrap was a mistake, adding on to the fact that it was a brutally hot day, that change in music style didn't go over well

They played The Distance and then a song of their first album, during the middle of it, he tried to get the crowd chanting, a couple of douchebags, probably FE or NB fans, like the other 30,000 douchebags (hopefully, you were not one of them) through a couple of bottles of water at the band, too which the lead singer started telling the crowd they were not there to steal their water, unlike what the US government was going to do, and of course, that went over well, more water bottles, and their set was over

a little bit more context than to your story

so Cake was not pathetic......the fans at that show.......PATHETIC
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • upina2001 wrote:

Dont you DARE talk shit about Ween......They have some kick ass tunes (I Don't Want It, Buenos Tardes Amigos, Mutilated Lips, Bananas and Blow, Big Jilm)

Plus their live shit is amazing. I live all their songs but those above are some of their best.
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    I think I might even hate this band more than Nickelback, Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, etc. This band is unbelievably bad, I just heard some song called Rock and Roll Lifestyle by them............nauseating.
    You just heard this song for the first time? Where the hell have you been? And how can you compare Cake to the other bands listed above? They sound nothing like them- let me guess, you like the pop punk sound
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
    LukinFan wrote:
    You just heard this song for the first time? Where the hell have you been? And how can you compare Cake to the other bands listed above? They sound nothing like them- let me guess, you like the pop punk sound

I have heard that song a long time ago, just havent heard it for awhile. And I like all types of rock music.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    i love.......cake.
  • I love Cake too. I think they are very talented. I'd take them over Oasis any day of the week.
  • Cake is a fine good band

and whats not to like about Ween?
    I hate quotations. Tell me what you know.
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson~

The Tie-Dye Lady is HOT!!!
  • and BTW I love Cake, Flaming Lips, Ween and Man Man....you just need an open mind and you'll find killer riffs/solos and cool music overall.
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    and BTW I love Cake, Flaming Lips, Ween and Man Man....you just need an open mind and you'll find killer riffs/solos and cool music overall.

love them all. oasis, too.
  • mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    My disgust for Cake is a bit biased. I was living in Sacramento before they blew up. Another local band called LGS was similar in their "zanyness" but were actually talented and their singer had a voice. Cake then became popular whoring themselves out whilst LGS struggled on for awhile and then fizzled out. Not the best reason, but good enough for me.
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    CAKE was a pretty cool band I thought. Kind of whimsical though. I always kind of compared them to Barenaked Ladies in terms of humor. Both bands write some catchy tunes and just have fun playing music in their quirky poppy way.

I really enjoyed their "Mtorcade of Generosity " record best, but they had some cool songs.
    They have some pretty damn cool tunes to me at least. I mean they aren't like my favorite band or anything, but I respect and enjoy alot of their music
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12