Wu-Tang 8 Diagrams

pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
edited December 2007 in Other Music
Used to be a huge fan but they seem to have done nothing but disappoint me since the new millennium. I know that they will never make another 36 Chambers but the new album just seems to be another disappointment. Most of the songs are either okay or just plain bad. Nothing on it really excites me and it seems just as uninspired as everything the members have released lately (with the exception of Ghostface). Anybody else listen to it yet? All the songs are up on youtube if you havent.
Alpine Valley 2000
Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I can't disagree more about the new album...it features some of the most complete songs they've ever written, some of RZA's best production and some of the riskiest music they've released in a decade, in terms of not worrying about what else is out there and popular right now. There are a few tracks that aren't great, but nothing is flat out bad...and the bright spots are incredible:

Get The Out Ya Way Pa - live bass, this track hits hard...the hook is a bit weak, but overall a banger!

Unpredictable - WOW! This song is phenomenal! The guitars, and Deck kills this!!!

Heart Gently Weeps - not a big fan of this myself, though it is a good song...one of the earlier rough mixes was much better...but again, this is so innovative on so many levels

Gun Will Go - Another great song - so mellow (not uninspired), as Rae delivers one of his best lyrical performances...

Stick Me For my Riches - I know several people who don't like this song, but it's one of the most complete songs any rap group has ever written. the vocal delivery is strong, all the verses (while admittedly not their best) are very focused to the topic, they work the chorus into each verse...GZA shines.

Wolves has been growing on me and is filled with awesome production techniques.
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

(Shawn Smith's official website, but not Thee Shawn Smith)
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    A few good songs but overall I hoped for, rather than expect, more. They just don't seem into it any more. Some of the members have even been trashing the album, like Rae and Ghostface.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    A few good songs but overall I hoped for, rather than expect, more. They just don't seem into it any more. Some of the members have even been trashing the album, like Rae and Ghostface.

I think they just need to get back to the basics, experimentation just doesnt work for them, they need some really simple beats again and it needs to be a team effort not an individual effort like it has been since Forever.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

pjny wrote:
    I can't disagree more about the new album...it features some of the most complete songs they've ever written, some of RZA's best production and some of the riskiest music they've released in a decade, in terms of not worrying about what else is out there and popular right now. There are a few tracks that aren't great, but nothing is flat out bad...and the bright spots are incredible:

Get The Out Ya Way Pa - live bass, this track hits hard...the hook is a bit weak, but overall a banger!

Unpredictable - WOW! This song is phenomenal! The guitars, and Deck kills this!!!

Heart Gently Weeps - not a big fan of this myself, though it is a good song...one of the earlier rough mixes was much better...but again, this is so innovative on so many levels

Gun Will Go - Another great song - so mellow (not uninspired), as Rae delivers one of his best lyrical performances...

Stick Me For my Riches - I know several people who don't like this song, but it's one of the most complete songs any rap group has ever written. the vocal delivery is strong, all the verses (while admittedly not their best) are very focused to the topic, they work the chorus into each verse...GZA shines.

Wolves has been growing on me and is filled with awesome production techniques.

Stick Me 4 My Riches might be the worst song ever from the group, I therefore cannot even take this post seriously.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• Jeremy1012 wrote:

ghostface stinks. he hasn't done shit since he left them. i'd rather hear a U God album that anything from ghastface. used to love his flow, but now its corny.

so if he doesn't like it, i might pick it up.
    those undecided, needn't have faith to be free
    bryanfury wrote:
    ghostface stinks. he hasn't done shit since he left them. i'd rather hear a U God album that anything from ghastface. used to love his flow, but now its corny.

He didnt leave them, he has verses in at least half the songs on the record.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    i think this is what was playing in the record store i was just in. it was pretty lame. but then, im not a huge fan of the east coast hardcore thing. don't even think 36 chambers is all that great. it sounds like an am stations coming through on a shitty radio.
  • Used to be a huge fan but they seem to have done nothing but disappoint me since the new millennium. I know that they will never make another 36 Chambers but the new album just seems to be another disappointment. Most of the songs are either okay or just plain bad. Nothing on it really excites me and it seems just as uninspired as everything the members have released lately (with the exception of Ghostface). Anybody else listen to it yet? All the songs are up on youtube if you havent.

Agree with you 100%. I haven't listened to it since Ghostface came out. That album is awesome!
  • 6 songs into checking it out... I can't make any guarantees on whether I will like this in time or not (in time), but I'm pretty sure of one thing: this album is going to FLOP.

There's no doubt that the RZA took some very serious risks with this one. Maybe too risky... I think people who absolutely love him will love it the way MJK fans actually like Puscifer. That's the problem though... The name of this cd isn't "The RZA and Friends,"-- it's Wu. You can hear it in the raps of the rest of the Clan that they don't like what they are rapping over... Maybe with the exception of the GZA. They all sound bored... I'm surprised that at least one of them didn't REFUSE to rap on this. However, $$$ probably played a role in things I'm sure. Refusal to participate on this cd probably cuts them out of the band permanently. RZA is no dope, and can be a bit of a control freak.

I will give it this much, and this might be its saving grace: I haven't heard anything like this put out before, at least with a few of the songs... "Get Them Out Ya Way Pa" in particular... RZA probably should not have recorded his first bass lesson and made it into a song. Listen closely, the bass is actually off-time at parts, and it doesn't sound intentional to me. However, I've never heard a hip-hop song with that many changes in one bassline EVER before, and maybe that's what makes it genius? More listens, and I might change my mind.

Maybe the Wu made their NO CODE with this one, or maybe it just stinks... However, I can't see too many people buying it. Half of my friends are bigger fans of them than myself, and they didn't even know it was coming out, and once they hear it, I'm sure they probably are not going to dig it.
  • MohabMohab Posts: 310
    wu says their will be another album despite the mixed reception for this cd. I'm still undecided over it, but the live dvd seemed to have recorded vocals playing as loud of not louder than the actual wu members who bascially sing along in a hoarse voice. Is that their live sound these days?

Iron Flag had some awesome stuff on it, I figure this ones beter than the w which was still ok, so its all good, but they need to figure some shit out for the next one.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    bryanfury wrote:

You ever heard Ironman? Christ... everyone's entitled to an opinion but this one is a little crazy.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    Mohab wrote:
    wu says their will be another album despite the mixed reception for this cd. I'm still undecided over it, but the live dvd seemed to have recorded vocals playing as loud of not louder than the actual wu members who bascially sing along in a hoarse voice. Is that their live sound these days?

Iron Flag had some awesome stuff on it, I figure this ones beter than the w which was still ok, so its all good, but they need to figure some shit out for the next one.

They need to hang it up, these awful albums are ruining their name.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

no way. ill take three or four good songs per album over no more wu tang.
    Mohab wrote:
    no way. ill take three or four good songs per album over no more wu tang.

I wouldnt even say they are making that many good songs on each album, to go from 36 Chambers to just one or two good songs.........completely disgraceful.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• uninnocentuninnocent Posts: 1,565
    i still haven't yet picked this up. i'm a big wu-fan and not having it is contradictory to my fandom. then again i didn't pick up the w until a year after its release.
    Forever

Easily as many good songs as 36 Chambers

reunited
    high as wu get
    severe punishment
    its yourz
    triumph
    impossible
    deadly melody
    duck seazon
    bells of war
    hells wind staff

the rest are a pretty good set of b sides

The W

Chamber Music
    Carefull (Click Click)
    The Jump Off
    Do you really and Gravel pit each have quality moments

Iron Flag

radioactive (four assassins)
    iron flag (one of thier best songs)
    secret song at end

8 Diagrams

so far
    Campfire
    wolves
    rushing elephants
    windmill

I'm saying at least the few good songs on every album make it worth it, thats why i want to see wu keep doing it.