Vinyl seems to be getting quite popular again

pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
edited March 2008 in Other Music
Its cool how so many bands are releasing vinyl records of new albums lately. I do however wish the prices would be more reasonable, 10-15 dollars instead of 30 would be good.
Alpine Valley 2000
Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I have looked into the costs of cutting vinyl in the past and it can be quite expensive which would justify higher prices for lesser known bands who pay from their own pockets but the prohibitive prices of LPs from well-known bands does seem a little ridiculous considering it is a supposedly out-dated format.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I think all (new release) vinyls should also come with an mp3 download code. This is the best of both worlds.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I have looked into the costs of cutting vinyl in the past and it can be quite expensive which would justify higher prices for lesser known bands who pay from their own pockets but the prohibitive prices of LPs from well-known bands does seem a little ridiculous considering it is a supposedly out-dated format.

Records will never be outdated
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Spin the black circle!!!
    Now we got a fuckin fight up here,what there's a republican in the audience,what's going on? Eddie(Randell's Island N.Y 96)
    Records will never be outdated
    that's why I said "supposedly".
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    viva la vinyl!
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,971
    Not too long ago, I sold all my vinyl (1000+ LPs) for 200 bucks. Yeah, I miss the artwork and double albums were good for separating pot seeds :p but who really likes changing their music every 15-30 minutes? It's a nostalgia thing but I'm really not believing that vinyl sounds any better. I'd love to see some of you vinylphiles tell the difference in a darkened room. Oh, I forgot....maybe the needle hiss would give it away.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Vinyl sounds better than a CD only when it's mastered better or comes from a better tape. It has nothing to do with the format itself. These days you still have vinyl being made in audiophile quality that blows away the CD (Chili Peppers latest), and vinyl that is mastered crappy just like a CD so it holds no real value (Pearl Jam's latest.) Just because something is pressed on vinyl *or* CD doesn't necessarily mean it will sound better.
  • Its cool how so many bands are releasing vinyl records of new albums lately. I do however wish the prices would be more reasonable, 10-15 dollars instead of 30 would be good.

ive seen plenty of vinyl for between 10-20 dollars from new acts....and not used either. the vinyl you speak of for 30 bucks must be multiple records and/or 180gram good quality shit.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • oldermanolderman Posts: 1,765
    Indeed. Vinyl stores have been popping up in the Kansas City area and in Lawrence, Kansas (home of the might KU Jayhawks!!).

I recently purchased Radiohead's 'In Rainbows' on vinyl. It was only $18 + tax.

Based upon a recommendation from my daughter. It is awesome.

What is most interesting to me, is that there are so many 45 rpm single type vinyls being manufactured. Takes me back to my youth. Truth
    Down the street you can hear her scream youre a disgrace
    As she slams the door in his drunken face
    And now he stands outside
    And all the neighbours start to gossip and drool
    He cries oh, girl you must be mad,
    What happened to the sweet love you and me had?
    Against the door he leans and starts a scene,
    And his tears fall and burn the garden green
    Picked up Minor Threat's Out of Step EP today, 12" white vinyl. Supposedly a limited edition. Only £6. Made me very happy.