Anybody else not into live albums and dvds?

pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
edited December 2007 in Other Music
Seems like most everybody here is really into that but I just cant get into them. I would take a studio album over a live album any day. There are a few live records that I really like alot (Nirvana Unplugged for example) and I even own some dvds but neither even come close to comparing to the live show for the most part.
Alpine Valley 2000
Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Seems like most everybody here is really into that but I just cant get into them. I would take a studio album over a live album any day. There are a few live records that I really like alot (Nirvana Unplugged for example) and I even own some dvds but neither even come close to comparing to the live show for the most part.

I like live albums of bands that stretch things out and explore a little bit. Bands that make things different then the album some. Take for instance Built to Spill's live album they have a 20 minute version of their masterpiece Broken Chairs on it and a 20 minute version of Cortez the Killer. The other songs are very good and to me hearing those versions of the songs are really cool and a different type of experience then i get from a studio album.

Live DVD's i like but i probably shouldn't i usually watch them once and then only a couple more times after that. But i love watching them that first time.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • I like dvds... but I'm not a bootleg fanatic like everyone else here. I don't really own any PJ bootlegs - except for the shows I've been to myself. It's to relive a memory, that's it...
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    i prefer studio releases to live recordings without a doubt, but i own some live stuff (especially PJ) that's pretty amazing.

as for DVDs - I don't purchase DVDs as randomly as albums, but if you do some research you'll find some spectacular DVD material out there.
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I have never been an obsessive bootleg fan like some PJ fans on here. I have about 7 or 8 shows, pretty much one from each album era.

As for other bands, I enjoy DVDs but I never need more than one live album from any band unless it is something different like an unplugged album.

Speaking of which, I watched Live at the Garden the other day after 4 or 5 pints and it finally clicked, after having owned it for about a year and a half. I had always found it nice but a little dull. Only when I was a bit drunk and supremely relaxed did I realise how warm and friendly the atmosphere of that show must have been. It was just a great experience watching it.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Just depends I think. I do actually like some live Pearl Jam stuff as well as NIN but for specific reasons. For example, the version of Even Flow on Ten sucks compared to the live recording they did for the video imo...I'll also listen to lots of live performances of songs off Pretty Hate Machine because they're played better live...way more heavy and layered.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Oh just to clarify i don't collect bootlegs. I went through a phase and ia acquired a good bit of neil young, pearl jam, dinosaur jr boots but i don't mess with that any more i was speaking more along the lines of some great live releases like-

Neil Young- Live Rust, Weld
    My Morning Jacket- Okonosas
    Wilco- Kicking Television
    Built to Spill- LIVE

I do pick up those kind of live cd's on occasion.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • I prefer live music actually and since I got my house fixed up with a fine surround sound system I have gotten crazy with the live concert dvds. If there's a party at the house we've got a dvd in the player instead of a cd
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    I like dvds... but I'm not a bootleg fanatic like everyone else here. I don't really own any PJ bootlegs - except for the shows I've been to myself. It's to relive a memory, that's it...

i only own the shows i've been to as well. i cant imagine rying to listen to hundreds of pearl jaam bootlegs.

that said, i love a good live album. they're fun to pop on and bop around the house to. when im riding the train or whatever though, i like studio albums. they're better for zoning out or kicking around or road trips. live albums are more when i have a lot of time to get into the whole ambience. and i only like live albums from bands that like to stretch things out live and jam a bit. if it's note for note reproduction of the album (incubus live disc), then im not interested.

my favs:
    tragically hip
    mmj
    anything black crowes
    built to spill
    wilco
    the roots
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    I like studio better, but I find live recordings have little neuances that studio albums lack. I think the fact live is a little different than the studio makes it a little more special for me.

Some live albums are just better than studio is
    Frampton comes alive
    Tesla- 5 man acoustical jam

are a few that pop into my head.

You also get the chatter in live albums, lets face it it is funny as hell listening the Ed ramble on at times(when he stay away from politics)

So I prefer studio for sound quality, but live for total experience.

I'll be honest I collect many of the PJ boots and listen to onle a select few after the first or second go around, listening to 100 shows gets monotonous

I find myself disappointed with DVD most of the time, I prefer rockumenatary dvd versus live performance dvd.

So I would rather watch Single video theory over MSG
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    It depends really. I'm not that much into live stuff, even Pearl Jam. I just think it rarely compares to the stuff in the studio.

Early Springsteen stuff is great though.
  • studio albums more or less show no musical talent - the mark to a truly great band is the sound they produce live - anything can come out of a studio, hence the garbage of this century. None of these new bands sound anything like they do in the studio when they step on stage. Live music is where its at!
    http://mastersofourdomain.blogspot.com/

My Movie/Music Reviews & Sports Blog