The Redwalls

pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
edited December 2006 in Other Music
Any other fans here? If you havent heard them before, you should check them out. They sound like a mix of The Beatles/Bob Dylan. I think their De Nova album was the best of 2005.
Alpine Valley 2000
Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• eh, they're not very good. and they were pretty bad in concert. its like they're trying to be the strokes jr.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    i dig em. they opened for oasis but i missed their set. their songs are fun and definitely classicist. i dont know why anyone would compare them to the strokes. if anything, they sound like a byrds cover band (which is i guess what they started out as). still, i dont think they're brilliant or anything. just a fun group.
  • i dont know why anyone would compare them to the strokes.

cause they sound like 'em? and they've said in interviews 2 of their favorite bands are the strokes and jet.
    cause they sound like 'em? and they've said in interviews 2 of their favorite bands are the strokes and jet.

i dont think they sound like the strokes at all. just cos they like them doesnt mean they copy them. ed has said he worships the who... do you say pearl jam is just trying to be the who jr? just dont think they sound alike. the redwalls have a sound straight out of the 60s. it's why i like em but dont love em. their sound is pretty unoriginal, like an old bob dyaln album or early beatles. but it sounds nothing like the strokes.
  • I saw them when they opened for the Zutons (which is a great band) and i thought they were pretty good so i bought their album, and it was just ok. I felt like i was listening to a Beatles/Dylan cover band but not a good one.
  • i dont think they sound like the strokes at all. just cos they like them doesnt mean they copy them. ed has said he worships the who... do you say pearl jam is just trying to be the who jr? just dont think they sound alike. the redwalls have a sound straight out of the 60s. it's why i like em but dont love em. their sound is pretty unoriginal, like an old bob dyaln album or early beatles. but it sounds nothing like the strokes.

well, i think they do sound like the strokes. and yes, i do think to an extent pearl jam is trying to be the who jr. by saying the strokes are one of their favorites i think to me that means they have influenced their sound. just like the who to pearl jam. i'm not saying they are exactly alike, but the similarities are there.

and i don't think the redwalls sound like dylan or the beatles. those two are good.
    well, i think they do sound like the strokes. and yes, i do think to an extent pearl jam is trying to be the who jr. by saying the strokes are one of their favorites i think to me that means they have influenced their sound. just like the who to pearl jam. i'm not saying they are exactly alike, but the similarities are there.

and i don't think the redwalls sound like dylan or the beatles. those two are good.

you've got to be joking. you dont hear the 60's pop sound in the redwalls? if you think they sound more like the strokes than an early beatles album (like their first one) then i think you might wanna get those ears checked.
  • you've got to be joking. you dont hear the 60's pop sound in the redwalls? if you think they sound more like the strokes than an early beatles album (like their first one) then i think you might wanna get those ears checked.

maybe a little bit, but to compare them to the beatles or bob dylan is laughable. they are way too "electric" sounding.
    maybe a little bit, but to compare them to the beatles or bob dylan is laughable. they are way too "electric" sounding.

laughable eh? which is why every article and every review ever written about them mentions the similarity within 2 sentences. also, im sure the fact that the band started as a cover band playing old 60s rock tunes (beatles, kinks, byrds, dyaln) has NO bearing on their sound now. quality-wise, they're nowhere near either of those bands. but their sound is a helluva lot closer to those two than the strokes.
  • I saw them on Conan O Brien about two years ago and they played "Build A Bridge" and before they started playing, the singer announced "This is a protest song" and right there and then I knew I was going to like them. Then I bought their De Nova album a few months later and really enjoyed it. It just has a few too many songs on it, that's all.

Then I got tickets to see Oasis in milwaukee on march 22, 2006 and I didn't know who the opening band was before I got their and was pleasantly surprised when it was the Redwalls, I thought they played great.

I am really looking forward to their new albums. The new songs sound very good so far.
    "I'm a thief, and I dig it"
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    really good band...derivative as hell, but thats why its great...i dont mind a few more 60s sounding albums floating around...hell ive pretty much exhausted the supply of actual 60s albums
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    I saw them on Conan O Brien about two years ago and they played "Build A Bridge" and before they started playing, the singer announced "This is a protest song" and right there and then I knew I was going to like them. Then I bought their De Nova album a few months later and really enjoyed it. It just has a few too many songs on it, that's all.

Then I got tickets to see Oasis in milwaukee on march 22, 2006 and I didn't know who the opening band was before I got their and was pleasantly surprised when it was the Redwalls, I thought they played great.

I am really looking forward to their new albums. The new songs sound very good so far.

I was at that show too, De Nova might be my favorite album this decade so far.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    The Redwalls are way catchier and more talented than The Strokes.........they dont sound much alike
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006