Opening bands for PJ

pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
edited June 2008 in Other Music
Crap for the most part. Seems like everybody else here loves them though......maybe even more than PJ. Every single time I come to the other music forum, there are at least a few threads on the front page about some band that has opened for PJ.
Alpine Valley 2000
Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    I am going to agree with you to a certain extent but also disagree. Pearl Jam has had some openers that I liked and became fans of as a result of seeing them open. Idlewild, Ben Harper, Supergrass, and Death Cab for Cutie were all outstanding. Liam Finn was also great opening up for Ed on the solo tour. I didn't particularly enjoy My Morning Jacket or Sonic Youth last time around. I choose different words than you though. MMJ and Sonic Youth just aren't my thing. I don't care for Jim James's vocals, and for me, Sonic Youth is just noise. I don't get Kings of Leon either.

All that being said, when you compare Pearl Jam's openers to other bands' openers, PJ fans should consider themselves lucky. Trust me, it could be much, much worse.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • Brain of J.LoBrain of J.Lo Posts: 3,259
    Honestly, I think they bring out bands that are more exciting than they are at this point in time. They have great taste. :D And I can't wait to see Ted Leo tomorrow night!
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    Crap for the most part. Seems like everybody else here loves them though......maybe even more than PJ. Every single time I come to the other music forum, there are at least a few threads on the front page about some band that has opened for PJ.

Who do you wish they brought out? Let's back it up with some amazing band recommendations if we're going to state that
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • MMJ, KOL, and Sleater-Kinney are some of my favourite bands. Paddy Casey, who was the opener for my one show so far, is not. :p
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Who do you wish they brought out? Let's back it up with some amazing band recommendations if we're going to state that

Best opening bands I have seen that I can think of at least are
    The Redwalls
    The Duke Spirit
    Jet
    The Black Crowes
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Crap for the most part. Seems like everybody else here loves them though......maybe even more than PJ. Every single time I come to the other music forum, there are at least a few threads on the front page about some band that has opened for PJ.

i agree. i know it's not the case with everyone that likes all these bands because some people genuinely do like them, but with a few people I kind of wonder if the only reason they like them is because they opened for pearl jam. if pearl jam likes them then they have to be good, pearl jam does no wrong. yep.
  • Brain of J.LoBrain of J.Lo Posts: 3,259
    i agree. i know it's not the case with everyone that likes all these bands because some people genuinely do like them, but with a few people I kind of wonder if the only reason they like them is because they opened for pearl jam. if pearl jam likes them then they have to be good, pearl jam does no wrong. yep.

I have no doubt that this is true for some folks. :D
  • For the most part, I've been pleased w/ the opening bands I've either seen open for PJ or listened to because they opened for PJ.

1) Dismemberment Plan
    2) Rancid
    3) Sonic Youth
    4) Sleater Kinney
    5) Death Cab for Cutie
    6) Ted Leo + the Pharmacists (Not that I'm going to any of those shows, but I have seen Ted Leo play 3 times, and he f'n rocks. I'm jealous of the folks who get to see them open for PJ.)
    7) My Morning Jacket

I didn't care for Kings of Leon at all.

a few openers I can think of that would be good
    Ben Kweller
    Brendan Benson
    Mike Doughty
    "I would love to see a forklift life a crate of forks. It would be so damn literal." - Mitch Hedberg

9/23/98 WPB, 8/10/00 WPB, 4/11/03 WPB, 4/13/03 Tampa, 10/4/04 Kissimmee, 6/11/08 WPB, 6/12/08 Tampa
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    I've only seen 3 different openers for PJ, and Sonic Youth is the only one I have actually enjoyed. I don't really enjoy their studio albums, but they were great live nights 2 and 3 at the Bill Graham Civic Aud 2 years ago.

I didn't even make it in time for Monkeywrench in 2000 and I'm not a big fan of the Buzzcocks, although I did catch most of their set at Mansfield I '03..

Then, MMJ and KoL are 2 of my favorite bands, but I have yet to see them ever play, let alone open for PJ. Although, I am seeing MMJ at the Berkeley Greek in September.

Other bands beside MMJ and KoL that I would like to see open for PJ are the Black Keys, the Raconteurs, and the Bay City Rollers.

"S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y! NIGHT!"
  • Sleater-Kinney and Sonic Youth were the best openers.

Not a fan of MMJ, KOL, and the like.

It was cool in 2000 they had Sparta, but it would have been much cooler if they had Mars Volta.
    Horry Kow!
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Yo La Tengo would be a cool opener, but over the years PJ have had a lot of top openers, The Buzzcocks seem to be the one I see missing that I would add, Rancid and Pearl Jam in one show that would be too awesome for me, I'd probs pass out and die right there.
    Bad Religion as well no one mentioned them yet another awesome one.:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Crap for the most part. Seems like everybody else here loves them though......maybe even more than PJ. Every single time I come to the other music forum, there are at least a few threads on the front page about some band that has opened for PJ.

i'm with you. i think most of them are crap. people just like to kiss their asses because PJ picks them to open.

biased.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    I wouldn't say they are all crap but for the most parts it's bands Im not familiar with at all.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • Sleater-Kinney, MMJ, Supergrass, Idlewild, Death Cab. All killer live.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    KOL are fucking awesome, same goes for the Black Keys
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,141
    I got into and really enjoy Sonic Youth and Sleater-Kinney after hearing them open for Pearl Jam. I had heard a little SY before seeing them and seeing their set sold me. I had never even heard of Sleater-Kinney before their set and they completely rocked it out.

Didn't much care for Kings of Leon though. They were ok, but I didn't like them enough to start getting into their music.

So, I guess it's hit or miss with the openers for me. And really, it's all personal taste anyways, so you liking or disliking an opening band is ok to me.
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    i'm with you. i think most of them are crap. people just like to kiss their asses because PJ picks them to open.

biased.

This is a ridiculous argument. These are bands that are steadily increasing their fanbases, and most of those fans are not die hard Pearl Jam fans. People genuinely like them. What's so hard to believe about that? Like I said in my first reply to this thread, it's hit and miss for me. However, I like that they pick openers I might not be familiar with because I actually like discovering new bands. That's the joy of openers in general, at least for me. Again, Pearl Jam's openers, even the "crappy" ones, are far better than the openers for other bands. I will never forget going to see Audioslave and having to sit through Jonny Polonsky's set. Now that was fucking torture.

If I were to pick a band I love that would be a great opener for Pearl Jam, I'd choose Social Distortion. I don't know how well the hardcore Social D fans would play with the Pearl Jam fans, but it would be a great combo musically.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.