Tupac Resurrection

pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
edited December 2007 in Other Music
Quality documentary, even if you dont like Tupac or rap music.
Alpine Valley 2000
Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    didn't he die again?
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • I like Tupac's music, but he was more-or-less an idiot like the rest of the hip hop retards. I've seen bits and pieces of the documentary...what I saw was pretty decent.
    "It's all happening"
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    I like Tupac's music, but he was more-or-less an idiot like the rest of the hip hop retards.

how so? i dont know a lot of his music outside the greatest hits, but it seems a bit more critical and intelligent than the average gangsta rapper to me. they say he was also an avid reader... loved kurt vonnegut and whatnot.
  • how so? i dont know a lot of his music outside the greatest hits, but it seems a bit more critical and intelligent than the average gangsta rapper to me. they say he was also an avid reader... loved kurt vonnegut and whatnot.

He was brilliant...the best rapper of all time IMO.
    Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • how so? i dont know a lot of his music outside the greatest hits, but it seems a bit more critical and intelligent than the average gangsta rapper to me. they say he was also an avid reader... loved kurt vonnegut and whatnot.

He's dead for being a gang-banger = Retard in my book.
    "It's all happening"
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    I think he was a bit more complex than your average gangsta rapper, like 50 cent or something. He had a vicious side and very sensitive side as well. Pretty dynamic personality which led to some fantastic music.

i think i'm just not keen on throwing the word retard around. it's more offensive than cunt, faggot, nigger, or any other demeaning word i can think of, to be honest.

not that i think gang banging is wise, but it was the life he grew up living. he was killed before he could transcend it. i get the feeling from his music that it was a constant struggle for him, trying to leave that part of his life behind.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Tupac was never a gang-banger, he was a drama student in stage school until he was a rapper. Like he said, he never had a record until he had a record. He was sucked in by a culture because it gave him something to be. He was clearly not a retard but an intelligent, flawed man who made bad decisions. Listen to Changes, Unconditional Love and Keep Ya Head Up and then call him a gang-banging retard.

peace
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Tupac was never a gang-banger, he was a drama student in stage school until he was a rapper. Like he said, he never had a record until he had a record. He was sucked in by a culture because it gave him something to be. He was clearly not a retard but an intelligent, flawed man who made bad decisions. Listen to Changes, Unconditional Love and Keep Ya Head Up and then call him a gang-banging retard.

peace

i did not know that. i always had heard that suge knight manipulated him to fan the flames of the east/west thing to sell more records. i didn't know it went that far.
    i did not know that. i always had heard that suge knight manipulated him to fan the flames of the east/west thing to sell more records. i didn't know it went that far.
    Well yeah, before the Death Row years, Tupac's "negative" character traits were born of his environment and were no more prevalent than his positive ones. yes, he rapped about violence but it was more social commentary. Only after being shot and then Suge Knight getting involved did he start spewing stuff like Hit 'em up (still a legendary song though) and living the "Thug Life".

Interesting point though, Tupac always said he used the word Thug in the literal sense - rebel, not street scum. He said for him. Thug Life stood for "The Hate U Give Little Infants Fucks Everybody" :D Dude had a positive message at heart, he was just flawed, like great artists.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:

peace

He didn't "practice what he preached" though. How can you talk about peace, stopping drug use, and ending black on black crime....when he committing those very crimes? He was a poser out there to make money.
    "It's all happening"
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    He didn't "practice what he preached" though. How can you talk about peace, stopping drug use, and ending black on black crime....when he committing those very crimes? He was a poser out there to make money.

I pretty much agree, people all talk about what a great person he was and how he was so good to women and such. He was one of the biggest hypocrites ever in music. There is no doubt that he wrote some great lyrics but he definitely did not practice what he preached.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• I pretty much agree, people all talk about what a great person he was and how he was so good to women and such. He was one of the biggest hypocrites ever in music. There is no doubt that he wrote some great lyrics but he definitely did not practice what he preached.

Yeah, I forgot to add the part about when he sodomized and raped a woman in a hotel.....but I guess that's forgivable because he wrote "Keep Ya Head Up" :rolleyes:

Like I said, I like some of the guys music....but he wasn't the intellectual / philosopher / role model for black males that the black community makes him out to be.....he was from the streets, and acted accordingly.
    "It's all happening"
    Yeah, I forgot to add the part about when he sodomized and raped a woman in a hotel.....but I guess that's forgivable because he wrote "Keep Ya Head Up" :rolleyes:

Like I said, I like some of the guys music....but he wasn't the intellectual / philosopher / role model for black males that the black community makes him out to be.....he was from the streets, and acted accordingly.

I was in junior high when he was killed and I remember all the fat white girls crying and talking about how great he was and how great he was to women. Still find that funny to this day.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

I was in junior high when he was killed and I remember all the fat white girls crying and talking about how great he was and how great he was to women. Still find that funny to this day.

yeah, but at least he wasn't a fucking homo. that would be the worst.
    yeah, but at least he wasn't a fucking homo. that would be the worst.

Get over it already, are you offended because your gay, if you are, then I am sorry
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

Get over it already, are you offended because your gay, if you are, then I am sorry

i'm offended by homophobia. as ron white says, homophobes are the most worthless people on the planet.
    i'm offended by homophobia. as ron white says, homophobes are the most worthless people on the planet.

Who the hell is Ron White? I would say murderers, rapists, criminals, and people who actually harm others are the most worthless people on the planet.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• I liked Tupac best as the back up dancer for digital underground.
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    didnt there used to be a rumour that he had faked his own death? yep, twas that he had named an album Machevelli (he read the 'The Prince' whilst banged up? Unlikely.) after the author who had in some way tricked the masses by faking his own death. Not sure if the real Machevelli did.
  • Who the hell is Ron White? I would say murderers, rapists, criminals, and people who actually harm others are the most worthless people on the planet.

Win. Quiet homophobia is next to harmless. Ron only says that because he used to be gay. Just look at his hair in the 80's.
    Who the hell is Ron White? I would say murderers, rapists, criminals, and people who actually harm others are the most worthless people on the planet.

the license plates they make contribute more to society than you do to this place.

he's a comedian.
    Win. Quiet homophobia is next to harmless. Ron only says that because he used to be gay. Just look at his hair in the 80's.

1) didn't say harmful, i say worthless. it's for ignorant hillbilly rednecks.

2) his isn't quiet homophobia, it's very vocal.

You are aware that the rape was a trumped up charge right? :rolleyes: The woman admitted to having consensual sex with him a few days before, had been practically molesting him on the dancefloor that night and admitted to being too drunk to really know what happened that night. Sounds to me like a groupie who had consensual sex and wanted to make some money. I'm pretty sure the tiny sentance and even tinier time served shows that no one really believed his guilt.
  • didn't say harmful, i say worthless. it's for ignorant hillbilly rednecks.

Hypocrite!
    "It's all happening"