Against Me - New Wave

pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
edited December 2007 in Other Music
Never even heard of this until it was named best album of 2007 by Spin so I listened to a couple songs and realized I had heard them before. I have no idea how this was picked as album of the year, its not the worst thing I have ever heard but I was far from impressed. If magazines like that are gonna pick something bad for album of the year, they could at least pick something that is original and bad.
Alpine Valley 2000
Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• yeah,
    and they gave The Mars Volta's new cd 2 out of 5 stars...
    7/16/06 7/18/06
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    I have to agree with you and I was also surprised when I saw it as SPin's top pick of 2007. Against Me does nothing for me. It's loud and hard but nothing out of the ordinary or relatively extraordinary and the song "Thrash Unreal" is ridiculous. The lyrics annoy me almost as much as the repetitive nature of the music does.

And don't even get me started on the vocals.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • yeah, totally agreed. the single sounds like nickelback combined with something else that's bad, but can't put my finger on. radiohead, the shins, robert plant's album, modest mouse, arcade fire are all leaps and bounds ahead of this one.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    yeah, totally agreed. the single sounds like nickelback combined with something else that's bad, but can't put my finger on. radiohead, the shins, robert plant's album, modest mouse, arcade fire are all leaps and bounds ahead of this one.

Reminds me a bit of Offspring, except Offspring at least made some decent music at one time (though I cant stand them anymore, mainly because of the vocals)
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    I like New Wave, actually. But I wouldn't rate it as album of the year.
  • BenzorBenzor Posts: 886
    I think Against Me! is great and New Wave is one of the better albums of the year
  • ISUalISUal Posts: 40
    very good album, albeit not as good as Icky Thump or Era Vulgaris (just to name a couple off the top of my head). I wouldn't call it #1 by any means, but it's good. Also, I've seen Against Me! live and they can really tear it up for a punk band. I was quite impressed.
    "I know I was born, and I know that I'll die, but in between is mine..." Ed