Anybody else disappointed by the new Beastie album?

pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
edited June 2007 in Other Music
We wait forever for new Beastie Boys albums and they cant even give us an album with some vocals as well? Dont get me wrong, I listened to a few of the tracks and they sound pretty good but I would much rather get another hip-hop album with help from Mixmaster Mike. I rarely get the chance to buy a new rap album anymore because the stuff coming out these days is dreadful. When I heard that they were possibly releasing an album this year, I was looking forward to what would probably be the only rap record I get but then I got the news.
Alpine Valley 2000
Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    I've loved The Beastie Boys for 20 years, but I thought the last album was worthless. I wasn't a huge fan of Hello Nasty either, but at least it had its moments. I have respect for Mixmaster Mike's skills, but don't like him in the Beastie Boys. I feel he's basically fucked up the live shows. I don't need four different beats to So Whatcha Want, and Shake Your Rump; I like the original ones just fine, thank you. I'd like to think the guys could still make a good hip-hop album, but i'm beggining to have my doubts. For these reasons, I welcome an instumental album. I still haven't picked it up, but I've loved their instra tracks in the past.
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    I thought Hello Nasty and The 5 Boroughs were two of their best albums, I would put them both top 3.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    I agree with DZ wholeheartedly. I welcome the instrumental album. Maybe someone will play this on a hot summer night instead of fucking Jack Johnson.(not that I don't like JJ, it's just been overdone)

The last 2 albums are the weakest by far. If you want a good Beasties record pick up NY state of mind mixed by DJ Green Lantern. It's is better than the last two albums IMO.
    NERDS!
  • BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    I thought Hello Nasty and The 5 Boroughs were two of their best albums, I would put them both top 3.

To each his own, but I'd venture to guess it has to do with your age, Most fans I know who have lived through the majority of The B Boys career prefer either Pauls Boutique or Check your Head.
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    Wait forever? The 6 years between Hello Nasty & TT5B seemed like forever, the 3 years it took to get the upcoming album is nothing. Actually their shortest turnaround between album since the early 90s(Check Your Head - Ill Communicaiton I believe were 2 or 3 years apart).

Hello Nasty is my favorite of theirs. It is probably more of a timing thing than anything, but I had that album on constant repeat for a few years after it came out. TT5B was decent, but I'd rank it behind HN, Check Your Head and Paul's Boutique.

Haven't heard the new one, but you have to shift your expectations somewhat going into it since it is an instrumental album, not a traditional BBoys album. It seems unfair to compare it to their other stuff, if you were a huge fan of their rapping then of course you are going to be disappointed.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    CM1847 wrote:
    Wait forever? The 6 years between Hello Nasty & TT5B seemed like forever, the 3 years it took to get the upcoming album is nothing. Actually their shortest turnaround between album since the early 90s(Check Your Head - Ill Communicaiton I believe were 2 or 3 years apart).

Hello Nasty is my favorite of theirs. It is probably more of a timing thing than anything, but I had that album on constant repeat for a few years after it came out. TT5B was decent, but I'd rank it behind HN, Check Your Head and Paul's Boutique.

Haven't heard the new one, but you have to shift your expectations somewhat going into it since it is an instrumental album, not a traditional BBoys album. It seems unfair to compare it to their other stuff, if you were a huge fan of their rapping then of course you are going to be disappointed.

This will be only their 7th studio album in more than 20 years in the business, most groups release more music within that time. I guess part of the reason I am disappointed is the fact that they havent done a proper tour for quite some time.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    This will be only their 7th studio album in more than 20 years in the business, most groups release more music within that time. I guess part of the reason I am disappointed is the fact that they havent done a proper tour for quite some time.
    Yes, they are slow, that was part of my point, their last couple of albums have been spaced out a LOT more than The Mix Up is compared to TT5B. 3 years to make an album is lightspeed for the Beastie Boys, especially since they decided to try to save the world sometime in the mid-90s.
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    am i the only one who hasn't heard it? :o lol it's out right after my birthday so i'll give my verdict then i suppose :)
  • gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    I haven't heard it yet either. I'm looking forward to the instrumental album. I thought the rapping on To The 5 Burroughs was the worst of their career. Not saying it's really bad, but it doesn't hold a candle to Paul's Boutique, Check Your Head (personal fave) and Ill Communication. Hello Nasty has some great tunes but it could've been cut down a bit. It'll be a nice change-up to hear an all-instrumental album and I'm sure it will get a ton of spins at bonfires and parties this summer. I just hope they do a full tour for it. B-Boys need to come to Winnipeg!
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • i think its alright. i'm not a big beastie boys fan to begin with, but i dont think its horrible. its way better than the crap that was "hello nasty".
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • To the 5 Borroughs is pretty damn good. Always loved the Beasties instrumental stuff.
    Go see The Avett Brothers!!
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    I love the Beasties instrumental stuff, so I don't expect to be at all disappointed by it. In fact, I've kind of wished they'd do an album like this for a while now.
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    Never been a fan of the Beastie Boys but I've always seemed to like their beats so I suppose I should check this instrumental album out.
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,216
    I'm a mild Beastie Boys fan at best and haven't enjoyed the last two albums. That said, I'm not sure an instrumental album will change my opinion much. I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it...
  • El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    haven't heard the new beasties but el-ps new album looks as if it will be good, at least based on sxsw
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • Blind MelonBlind Melon Posts: 911
    I really enjoyed the new album... I loved their instrumental shit on Ill Communication and Check Your Head... and this one is just really awesome. The recording makes it better too, it makes it seem like those "live sounding" recordings that were on Ill Communication and Check Your Head. I think I heard they are coming out with another album not too far from now that has rapping/mixing on it, but I'm not sure where I heard it, so definitely don't take this that seriously.

However, I recently had the chance to finally get To the 5 Boroughs and to my surprise, I liked it. It was more straight up rapping than what I had been subjected to (Ill Communication, Check Your Head, etc.) because the presence of instruments wasn't there, it was more just mixing... which for how old they are, and what sound they produced... they produced such a better sound than what current rap has become. It's amazing that these guys are still around doing what they do. Just fucking awesome.
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,477
    We wait forever for new Beastie Boys albums and they cant even give us an album with some vocals as well? Dont get me wrong, I listened to a few of the tracks and they sound pretty good but I would much rather get another hip-hop album with help from Mixmaster Mike. I rarely get the chance to buy a new rap album anymore because the stuff coming out these days is dreadful. When I heard that they were possibly releasing an album this year, I was looking forward to what would probably be the only rap record I get but then I got the news.
    3 years is not long
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
  • NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,477
    Brainofdz wrote:
    I've loved The Beastie Boys for 20 years, but I thought the last album was worthless.
    the uninformed posting enmass
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    not disappointed here.
    bastie boys always release a album every six years. So, this new one is kind of a bonus album. I see it so.
    I'm really a huge fan of their last 3 or 4 albums, and i think the fact that we have to wait 6 years between album make those album better...
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    I love the Beastie's instrumental stuff!!!
    Can't wait for the new album.

The only thing I've heard or seen from this album is the new video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8uQXtpUxok

It's a simple song, but very cool!
  • El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    NOCODE#1 wrote:

quick, accuse him of really being racist against white rappers!!!!
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,216
    NOCODE#1 wrote:

Agreed...it's ok to have an opinion, just so long as you don't have the wrong one.