Any vinyl record collectors here?

pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
edited June 2007 in Other Music
If so, how many do you have? What kinda stuff do you got? Do you have anything very rare?
Alpine Valley 2000
Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dirtyTdirtyT Posts: 3,620
    my mom and dad have tons. Lot's of Stones and Elvis and John Lennon. They have mama' and papa's, beach boys. I bet they have over 200 all together.
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16
  • even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    I don't really collect vinyl, but I sure love to spin the black circle. I have a bunch of old stuff and I buy the new albums that get released if I enjoy the band.

When I was younger I had a picture disc habit. Iron Maiden to be exact. I guess the one album that stands out is the import Maiden with Thatcher's eyes not blacked out laying dead as Eddie stands above her.

Just the other night I was spinning some vinyl for a friend and he had brought a buddy with him who I had not met. About an hour later the buddy asks me if I have a cd player, because he had some tunes he wanted me to hear. :)
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • Local CrewLocal Crew Posts: 745
    hell yeah. not much to brag about. i usually limit myself to one new one a week. pink floyd and the dead sound awesome on vinyl. i have about 100 definate keepers. peace
    Walk Tall, Kick Ass, Learn to Speak Arabic, Love Music, and Never Forget You Come From a Long Line of Truth Seekers, Lovers, and Warriors. HST

CHILLIN LIKE BOB DYLAN!!!
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    hell yeah. not much to brag about. i usually limit myself to one new one a week. pink floyd and the dead sound awesome on vinyl. i have about 100 definate keepers. peace

The sound on records is better, you cant beat a Pink Floyd, Beatles, or Beach Boys record on vinyl
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• I have somewhere around 1,000 pieces of vinyl. Some is very rare classic rock and some is very rare rap.
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

(Shawn Smith's official website, but not Thee Shawn Smith)
  • DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    Hell yes. I take great pride in my collection. Aside from the stuff I have from my parents(Springsteen, Beatles, Petty, Zeppelin, etc.) I buy alot of Alternative stuff like Pixies, Sonic Youth, Sleater-Kinney, Pumpkins, Beastie Boys, QOTSA, etc. on vinyl. Also have some good Funk and Soul LPs. I still have my PJ Benaroya in the plastic though. That could be my big prized possession.
    pjny wrote:
    I have somewhere around 1,000 pieces of vinyl. Some is very rare classic rock and some is very rare rap.

what kinda rare rap do you have? I have some 80's ones..........Kool Moe Dee, Sugarhill Gang, Run DMC
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• godpt3godpt3 Posts: 1,020
    I've got a "learn to sing opera" set from 1927(!!!) that belonged to my father and I've got some old 45s of stuff my uncle recorded in the 50s.
    "If all those sweet, young things were laid end to end, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised."
    —Dorothy Parker

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/6902/conspiracytheoriesxt6qt8.jpg
  • what kinda rare rap do you have? I have some 80's ones..........Kool Moe Dee, Sugarhill Gang, Run DMC

A lot of indie stuff from the early 90's through today...a lot of promos and out of print stuff...much of the collection is made up of material for:

Wu-Tang (plus affiliated groups)
    Naughty by Nature (plus affiliated groups)
    Nine (plus Ricochet & Centipede, Deuces Wild, Nine Double M. etc.)
    College Boyz
    Da King & I
    Thirstin Howl III (plus affiliates)
    Boostin Kev

beyond those groups, it's just tons of 12" singles from various artists. some rare, some not so rare. A lot of the NINE stuff is very rare; most of his fans don't even realize he was putting out records between 1985-1993
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

(Shawn Smith's official website, but not Thee Shawn Smith)
    pjny wrote:
    A lot of indie stuff from the early 90's through today...a lot of promos and out of print stuff...much of the collection is made up of material for:

Wu-Tang (plus affiliated groups)
    Naughty by Nature (plus affiliated groups)
    Nine (plus Ricochet & Centipede, Deuces Wild, Nine Double M. etc.)
    College Boyz
    Da King & I
    Thirstin Howl III (plus affiliates)
    Boostin Kev

beyond those groups, it's just tons of 12" singles from various artists. some rare, some not so rare. A lot of the NINE stuff is very rare; most of his fans don't even realize he was putting out records between 1985-1993

I have Enter The Wu on vinyl............has some of the worst sound quality out of any record I have heard
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    I've got around 150 pieces or so. Never go too far out of my way to scavenge some vinyl, but occasionally at the used store or a yard sale, I'll pick up an LP or two.

Got all the PJ LPs and most of the 45s, along with lots of Springsteen LPs, REM, Dylan, Petty, Willie Nelson, Beatles, Theolonius Monk, Mississippi John Hurt, Grateful Dead, Zeppelin, Elvis Costello, and Johnny Cash.

Ben Harper and Wilco sound really great on vinyl, too!

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • I've a few thousand albums on vinyl. I didn't bother with CDs until the mid 1990s. All of my jazz collection is in LP form.
  • MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,140
    Lots of jazz. Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Milt Jackson, Pharoah Sanders, ect...

Lot's of bluegrass. Flatt & Scruggs, Doc Watson, and other compilations.

Lots of classic rock rarieties.

Some new stuff too. White Stripes, PJ, Ween, Beastie Boys, ect...
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.  5-10-2024 Portland.  5-30-2024 Seattle.
  • Penny453Penny453 Posts: 200
    just started collecting. A little PJ, mostly NIN, and some other bands.
    "And even when I'm right with you I'm so far away"
  • I have a ton of Rolling Stones, all Pearl Jam studio albums through Riot Act, a few Beatles and U2, plus a couple Aerosmith, Bob Dylan, Nirvana, and Johnny Cash.

The funny thing is my parents were only into 8 tracks for some reason, so non of my collection is inherited.

Pittsburgh has at least one or two really good record shops that I occasionally go to.
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    I have all of Pearl Jam's studio releases, a few Christmas singles, the Life Wasted single, and the Merkinball EP.

From the Smashing Pumpkins I have Gish, Siamese Dream, and Adore, and from Alice in Chains I have a first print edition of their self-titled album.
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • I don't know if I have enough vinyl to qualify as a collector, but I grew up with vinyl, so I always have loved it. My father has a lot of records, some old Beatles records too, a couple of which are pretty rare. And I love to listen to the Pearl Jam records that I have on vinyl on my record player at home. Such a better listen on record.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
    Penny453 wrote:
    just started collecting. A little PJ, mostly NIN, and some other bands.

NIN vinyl is pretty expensive isnt it?
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

Some highlights of my collection include a bunch of records by The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The Doors, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, The Beach Boys, The Who, Jimi Hendrix, The Kinks, Johnny Cash, Bruce Springsteen, and Bob Dylan......the only PJ I have is Vitalogy. I also have a greatest hits by just about any decent band you can think of 60's - 80's.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• I just recently started collecting when I found Vitalogy in a local record store in prime condition for $4. Off the top of my head.....
    Pat Benatar (my daughters fave next to PJ), Willie Nelson, Crosby Stills Nash and Young, Joni Mitchell, Michael Jackson, AC/DC, Strapping Young Lad, Probot, Oak Ridge Boys(Elvira..lol), Tom Jones, Styx, Gnarls Barkley, Beach Boys and Neil Young. Of PJ, I have Lost Dogs, Vitalogy, Pearl Jam, No Code and Yield.
    My fav is Yield and the rarest is probably my Strapping Young Lad on baby blue vinyl.
    Chicago 8-23-09