Arcade Fire

pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
edited July 2007 in Other Music
Some decent songs but dont really get what all the hype is about. I listenened to Neon Bible and really enjoyed the first two songs but after that the songs were mostly average/boring or just bad. I also think the vocals kind of ruin it for me as well. Can somebody explain how a band like this gets so much hype while a band like BRMC is still unknown by many?
Alpine Valley 2000
Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    Some decent songs but dont really get what all the hype is about. I listenened to Neon Bible and really enjoyed the first two songs but after that the songs were mostly average/boring or just bad. I also think the vocals kind of ruin it for me as well. Can somebody explain how a band like this gets so much hype while a band like BRMC is still unknown by many?

I wish I could tell you. BRMC is a million times better.
    NERDS!
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    I wish I could tell you. BRMC is a million times better.

Baby 81 might be one of the best records of this decade, not a bad song on it, in fact not even an average song on it.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    would be the answer to your question
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    I'm by no means their biggest fan, but that could change soon, I saw this performance the other day and it blew me away: http://youtube.com/watch?v=bFFpL6Jj5II

There just seems to be a real level of passion and authenticity in what they do, that seems to be lacking in a lot of modern music. I don't think they are the most accessible band, but I'm gonna stick with it and keep listening, apparently they put on a great live show.
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    I'm by no means their biggest fan, but that could change soon, I saw this performance the other day and it blew me away: http://youtube.com/watch?v=bFFpL6Jj5II

There just seems to be a real level of passion and authenticity in what they do, that seems to be lacking in a lot of modern music. I don't think they are the most accessible band, but I'm gonna stick with it and keep listening, apparently they put on a great live show.

Awesome.:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • I happen to think Neon Bible is the best album of the decade, and I'm pretty hard to please musically.

Funeral is almost up there but it took me a long time to get into it.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228

It must be personal taste because i feel the same way about BRMC. I have howl and i tried to get into it but it just never connected with me.

On the other hand i love both Arcade Fire albums.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • I'm by no means their biggest fan, but that could change soon, I saw this performance the other day and it blew me away: http://youtube.com/watch?v=bFFpL6Jj5II

yeah thats definitely the most passionate performance of that song ive seen. great song off my favorite arcade fire album.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,836

i know arcade fire is very well respected in the music community, but that's just because i know about them. really the only hype i've heard about them is on this message board. in my opinion it's well deserved, but you're entitled to you're own. i feel the same way about BRMC that you do about arcade fire. i got one of their albums probably around 2001, don't know which one it was (had a picture of them on the cover, all black and white)...but anyway it just sounded to me like that loud, bar rock type shit to me. like jet, the vines, and the hives. (maybe even a little stereophonics sound) anyway i don't want to catergorize them because i haven't heard enough of their music but thats what it reminded me of. from whatever i remember. but needless to say i haven't had the urge to listen to them again in 6 years.
  • Alex_CoeAlex_Coe Posts: 762

BRMC gets a lot of publicity as well. They were on the MSN newspage a week ago. Being in the news... that's worth a lot of word of mouth advertisement.

:V
  • either way they are both better than the shit played on the radio and thank god for that!
    "I write a letter to a friend of mine
    I tell him how much I used to love watch him smile
    See I haven't seen him smile in a little while
    Haven't seen him smile in a little while
    But, I know you're laughing from the inside out."
    Blind Melon - Mouthfull of cavities
    R.I.P. JEN
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    I got to say, a lot of the hype around the Arcade Fire is deserved ... they are talented musicians (go to a show and see how many instruments they bring out and how many of them play different ones), their live shows are immensely energetic, and you can tell how passionate they are about what they are doing. I've seen them 3 times and they have never fallen short of amazing. Both albums are very good, actually, Funeral is great, Neon Bible has it's moments of fantasticness, but, falls short of their debut.

BRMC ... another great band ... I'm ecstatic about Baby 81, because after the first two albums rocked my face, I thought Howl was pretty weak ... I love their sound, even if it draw people to calling them Black Rebel Mary Chain ... the only negative thing I have to say about BRMC, I've seen them twice live and they've disappointed both times. @ Coachella in 2004, they had massive equipment issues and played 1 song to it's fullest, several other songs with issues, and a few acoustic tunes and left 10-15 minutes early.

But as previously stated, it's all a matter of opinion ... for those that doubt Arcade Fire ... I highly suggest you see them live, it's an experience ...
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • pjfan020pjfan020 Posts: 426
    jimed14 wrote:
    But as previously stated, it's all a matter of opinion ... for those that doubt Arcade Fire ... I highly suggest you see them live, it's an experience ...

see though, i have a problem with that. Why would someone who can't listen to a studio album go see them live? I don't think you should have to see a band live in order to like their music, and personally their singer is god awful. They can have their moments musically but the singing on both albums is atrocious. The band seems to be in almost every rolling stone issue i pick up and i just don't get it. I just think that a band like the black keys (i haven't heard brmc yet) deserve a lot more of the spotlight than a band like arcade fire. I guess the whole artsy-indie sound is just more popular right now.
    "Tonight we're just gonna play you some good old American Rock and Roll." tom petty-7-15-05
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    pjfan020 wrote:
    see though, i have a problem with that. Why would someone who can't listen to a studio album go see them live? I don't think you should have to see a band live in order to like their music, and personally their singer is god awful. They can have their moments musically but the singing on both albums is atrocious. The band seems to be in almost every rolling stone issue i pick up and i just don't get it. I just think that a band like the black keys (i haven't heard brmc yet) deserve a lot more of the spotlight than a band like arcade fire. I guess the whole artsy-indie sound is just more popular right now.

well, if you flat out don't like it ... then don't go, I thought that was obvious ... I was more gearing that towards folks on the fence, who don't get the hype
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • mensanemensane Posts: 912
    arcade fire=ADD theater

too many people on the stage with too many different instruments. it is like they are trying too hard to be ecentric. instead of being sub-par on many instruments, how about mastering one....or singing well. (which doesnt seem to be going on).

i wanted to like them...it just didnt happen.

and then.....i saw the white stripes for the first time. afterwards i thought "to hell with that arcade fire bullshit---2 people on the stage blew them out of the water".
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    pjfan020 wrote:

I hear so many people talk about how bad his voice is but i don't mind it at all.

Never once have i said man i'd like them better if he coudl just sing better.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    pjfan020 wrote:

Yeah but loads of singers in popular bands don't have the greatest voices, Billy Corgan, Frank Black, Kurt Cobain, Jimi Hendrix, Bob Dylan to name but a few, all have very average voices, but they fit the style of the music perfectly, so it doesn't matter.

I'm certainly no indie connaisseur, so the whole band-wagon jumping thing has never been an issue with me, if I like a band I like them. The reason I think Arcade Fire are getting so much attention is because they are offering something pretty unique, the vibe they create with their music is like nothing else I've heard lately. I get the impression that like me, you probably get put off by the hype that surrounds certain bands, especially indie bands, because a lot of their fans seem to be pompous pricks? But sometimes, if you try to put that hype and bullshit sycophancy aside, and just listen to the music, you can sometimes you hear things in the music that you might miss when just giving it a cursory listen.

Anyway here's my last attempt to pull you over to the dark side (!), a really cool live performance of the song Rebellion (lies), I just love the driving feel and how it keeps building http://youtube.com/watch?v=_EzH4pcSmB4
    Yeah but loads of singers in popular bands don't have the greatest voices, Billy Corgan, Frank Black, Kurt Cobain, Jimi Hendrix, Bob Dylan to name but a few, all have very average voices, but they fit the style of the music perfectly, so it doesn't matter.

I'm certainly no indie connaisseur, so the whole band-wagon jumping thing has never been an issue with me, if I like a band I like them. The reason I think Arcade Fire are getting so much attention is because they are offering something pretty unique, the vibe they create with their music is like nothing else I've heard lately. I get the impression that like me, you probably get put off by the hype that surrounds certain bands, especially indie bands, because a lot of their fans seem to be pompous pricks? But sometimes, if you try to put that hype and bullshit sycophancy aside, and just listen to the music, you can sometimes you hear things in the music that you might miss when just giving it a cursory listen.

Anyway here's my last attempt to pull you over to the dark side (!), a really cool live performance of the song Rebellion (lies), I just love the driving feel and how it keeps building http://youtube.com/watch?v=_EzH4pcSmB4

The vocals sound like he is whispering. Bad voice too (kind of a cross between Morrissey and Ian Brown).
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,845

me neither

I find them unlistenable
  • PaulJamPaulJam Posts: 163
    Why listen to BRMC when you can listen to The Jesus and Mary Chain?

And why listen to anything when you can listen to The Arcade Fire?

They're the best band in the world so just fuckin lick it.

LICK. IT.
    ZUH?!!:p! HE HAS A FUCKING AMAZING VOICE!! JESUS CHRIST *SHIVER* GO AWAY. JUST...GO OVER THERE.
    PaulJam wrote:
    Why listen to BRMC when you can listen to The Jesus and Mary Chain?

And why listen to anything when you can listen to The Arcade Fire?

They're the best band in the world so just fuckin lick it.

LICK. IT.

Complete douchebag
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

The vocals sound like he is whispering. Bad voice too (kind of a cross between Morrissey and Ian Brown).

I can't stand either of those vocalists! To me he sounds like a slightly tamer Frank Black.
    I can't stand either of those vocalists! To me he sounds like a slightly tamer Frank Black.

They are about as low as it gets
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• PearlStripesPearlStripes Posts: 267
    To each his/her own, but I think they're damn powerful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq6M4PWKvq4
  • Alex_CoeAlex_Coe Posts: 762
    mensane wrote:
    i wanted to like them...it just didnt happen.

and then.....i saw the white stripes for the first time. afterwards i thought "to hell with that arcade fire bullshit---2 people on the stage blew them out of the water".

Same here, except... JW is a pretty mediocre singer. He's great at guitar/piano/songwriting and so on... but he's not an exceptional singer at all... :V
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    spinned the album all the way through last night. great listen imo.
    one of those albums you actually need to listen through from the first track to the last track to really catch what they're throwing you. in my opinion that is the trademark of any decent/worthwhile album.

but, to say arcade fire is the best band around is kinda lame.
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
    i´d say they´re a good band, a new diferent sound to our ears, but honestly they haven´t changed or doesnt gonna change the rock music like, the beatles, led zeppelin, the ramones, pj or nirvana did...
    tonadax wrote:
    i´d say they´re a good band, a new diferent sound to our ears, but honestly they haven´t changed or doesnt gonna change the rock music like, the beatles, led zeppelin, the ramones, pj or nirvana did...

I wouldn't be so sure, I hear definite hints of Springsteen and REM in their music, it would only take for them to make a really focussed pop type album like Automatic For The People and they could be HUGE.
    definite bruce influence there. Just listen to Antichrist on the new disc. Also some early u2 which is no bad thing.

They can do whatever they want. I doubt they'll compromise a thing, but they'll still become huge. A sign of true greatness.