Phil Collins

pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
edited July 2007 in Other Music
Any fans here? I know its not very cool to admit liking his music but he has made some great tunes solo and with Genesis. His Greatest Hits stayed in my car for almost a year straight at one time because it was such great driving music.
Alpine Valley 2000
Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    oh yeah i love me some phil collins!
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    oh yeah i love me some phil collins!

What are your top 5 songs (including Genesis)?
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Here are mine

I Wish It Would Rain Down
    In The Air Tonight
    Another Day In Paradise
    Land Of Confusion
    Tonight, Tonight, Tonight
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    This is really hard.... but...

In The Air Tonight (gotta be number 1 for me)
    No Son Of Mine
    That's All
    Another Day In Paradise
    Take Me Home
  • TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    This is kind of random, but I heard this Phil Collins song once and it stuck in my head and I kind of liked it. Anyways, I don't know what it's called and am hoping that someone can tell me.

The song has him sing a line and then he goes "ooooo woOOoo ooo oo" and then he sings another line and does that little phrase again and so forth. I don't know if anyone is going to understand this, but it's worth a shot.
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
  • Trailer wrote:
    This is kind of random, but I heard this Phil Collins song once and it stuck in my head and I kind of liked it. Anyways, I don't know what it's called and am hoping that someone can tell me.

The song has him sing a line and then he goes "ooooo woOOoo ooo oo" and then he sings another line and does that little phrase again and so forth. I don't know if anyone is going to understand this, but it's worth a shot.

Land of Confusion??
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBdUz_IJ4VA
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    eveyone needs some old school Phil Collins in their lives!!

in the air tonight
    i don't care anymore
    easy lover
    jesus he knows me
    mama
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzNRn_tmqYU

Phil Collins getting flanned on Tiswas.

I remember this as if it was yesterday. Like a div, I believed Lennon was going to be on the show the following week!

This was April 1980.

PS Yes, Bonham was on the show the following week, I'm sure... or was he? I was waiting for Lennon to show up ...
  • TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
  • RushlimboRushlimbo Posts: 832
    Phil Collins sucks as bad as Oasis. I'd see Nickleback before that hack. And I'll never see Nickleback.
    War is Peace
    Freedom is Slavery
    Ignorance is Strength
  • augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    Any fans here? I know its not very cool to admit liking his music but he has made some great tunes solo and with Genesis. His Greatest Hits stayed in my car for almost a year straight at one time because it was such great driving music.

Face Value & Hello I Must Be Going are solid releases. I was a big fan back in that day.
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    Phil Collins is pure evil.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    stu gee wrote:

LOL!

In the Air Tonight was pretty cool on that Miami Vice episode.

Easy Lover with Philip Bailey was the jam back in my roller rink days.

I don't know, it all just seems kind of dated these days. My wife likes him though. She has his greatest hits. And that Disney song gets her all teary eyed.
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    stu gee wrote:
    No, he sold his soul around 1983-1984 for major stardom...just like Sting did after the break-up of the Police.

I am huge Genesis fan.....from the Peter Gabriel days up to the day before the release of "Invisible Touch". I even enjoyed Phil's first solo album....but after that....it's all downhill for me. Phil did write some really good songs during what consider Genesis's heyday (Foxtrot to Three Sides Live)....."Man on the Corner"..."Misunderstanding".....but the rest of his solo stuff and the later Genesis.....not my cup of tea.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    tybird wrote:
    No, he sold his soul around 1983-1984 for major stardom...just like Sting did after the break-up of the Police.

I am huge Genesis fan.....from the Peter Gabriel days up to the day before the release of "Invisible Touch". I even enjoyed Phil's first solo album....but after that....it's all downhill for me. Phil did write some really good songs during what consider Genesis's heyday (Foxtrot to Three Sides Live)....."Man on the Corner"..."Misunderstanding".....but the rest of his solo stuff and the later Genesis.....not my cup of tea.

I'd agree with you. Don't forget Abacab and Turn it On...
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    Its all personal taste i suppose but i hate genesis and phil collins. My mum used to listen to him quite a lot which was really traumatising. The best thing to come from it all was in The Day Today comedy show by Chris Morris, and his sketch about fictional rapper 'Fur - Q' and his song 'Uzi Lover' lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_aU3TeDMnE
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • My boyfriend bought the greatest hits album and was blasting it from our car one day. The situation made me laugh. We are both in our early 20s and it just seemed like something people our age wouldn’t do. Some music is timeless… I’m not sure Phil Collins is.

He also told me that In the Air Tonight should be translated literally. He was certain that it was about Phil Collins’ friend who had drowned in front of another person who made no effort to try and save him. And that phil wrote the song to be performed the night that guy was at one of his shows… that he would sing it and the police would rush in and then arrest the dude… some how I don’t think that was the case.
    It made me laugh though.
    Don't gimme no lip
  • wcsmithwcsmith Posts: 165
    I'm a huge Genesis fan and if you think that Phil Collins is 'pure evil', simply:

1) Listen to his drumming on Foxtrot, Selling England By the Pound, and The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, and Trick of the Tail (also, his drumming on Peter Gabriel's "No Self Control")

2) Find the following songs: Dance on a Volcano, Ripples, One for the Vine, Star of Sirius (on Steve Hackett's "Voyage of the Acolyte"), God If I Saw Her Now, Heathaze, Many Too Many, et al.

Granted, Peter Gabriel's solo stuff is much more interesting, but it's hard to deny Phil's work with Genesis (even snippets of Invisible Touch and We Can't Dance). In my opinion, Trick of the Tail and Wind & Wuthering are masterpieces...
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me"
    gabers wrote:
    I'd agree with you. Don't forget Abacab and Turn it On...
    He's not the sole credit for writer for either song. Both of those great songs are credited to all three guys.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
    wcsmith wrote:
    I'm a huge Genesis fan and if you think that Phil Collins is 'pure evil', simply:

1) Listen to his drumming on Foxtrot, Selling England By the Pound, and The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, and Trick of the Tail (also, his drumming on Peter Gabriel's "No Self Control")

2) Find the following songs: Dance on a Volcano, Ripples, One for the Vine, Star of Sirius (on Steve Hackett's "Voyage of the Acolyte"), God If I Saw Her Now, Heathaze, Many Too Many, et al.

Granted, Peter Gabriel's solo stuff is much more interesting, but it's hard to deny Phil's work with Genesis (even snippets of Invisible Touch and We Can't Dance). In my opinion, Trick of the Tail and Wind & Wuthering are masterpieces...
    He was only evil after the self-titled album, "Genesis", and in his solo stuff after the first record. Find the Archive set Volume I and listen to that wonderful drumming on the live version of the "Lamb" and tracks from "Selling...". The Brand X stuff he played on is also supposed to be dynamite.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    My boyfriend bought the greatest hits album and was blasting it from our car one day. The situation made me laugh. We are both in our early 20s and it just seemed like something people our age wouldn’t do. Some music is timeless… I’m not sure Phil Collins is.

He also told me that In the Air Tonight should be translated literally. He was certain that it was about Phil Collins’ friend who had drowned in front of another person who made no effort to try and save him. And that phil wrote the song to be performed the night that guy was at one of his shows… that he would sing it and the police would rush in and then arrest the dude… some how I don’t think that was the case.
    It made me laugh though.
    actually your bf is semi-right. it was written cause one night phil saw a murder happen out on his boat
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Duder5kDuder5k Posts: 278
    Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.
  • augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    tybird wrote:
    ....Find the Archive set Volume I and listen to that wonderful drumming on the live version of the "Lamb" and tracks from "Selling..."....

A very good call indeed. That Volume 1 archive box set is something else!

Phil is one hell of a drummer...good enough for Clapton!
  • larslars Posts: 524
    Mentioning Phil Collins....are you sure you´re a pearl jam fan?
    You can´t trust a vegetarian.
  • cc10106cc10106 Posts: 385
    Rushlimbo wrote:
    Phil Collins sucks as bad as Oasis. I'd see Nickleback before that hack. And I'll never see Nickleback.

Thanks for sharing. Dumbass.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853

I LOATH Phil Collins. almost as much as I loath Peter Gabriel, but not quite
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • I'm glad someone made a thread about this because i'm on a serious phil collins/genesis roll right now.
    Like him or not he has made many quality tunes. get over yourself and listen.
  • eclecticeclectic Posts: 244
    wcsmith wrote:

I would agree with that , I love The Lamb lies down on Broadway............................but then he mysteriously morphed into Rod Stewart minus the gravel swallowing!The loss of his hair seemed to run alongside the loss of his credibility as a serious Rock artist.
    'All the rusted signs,we ignore throughout our lives,
    Choosing the shiny ones instead'

Reading 06 - Torino 06 - Wembley 07
  • Tek MoneyTek Money Posts: 642
    Phil Collins. Phil Collins would be another person who's a hero. The music he's created over the years, I don't really listen to it, but the fact that he's making it, I respect that.
    Cock Fight.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    Tek Money wrote:
    Phil Collins. Phil Collins would be another person who's a hero. The music he's created over the years, I don't really listen to it, but the fact that he's making it, I respect that.

are you challenging me to a walk-off, BOO.....lander?
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com