Beastie Boys on Live Earth

pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
edited July 2007 in Other Music
Absolutely terrible, I cannot believe that my favorite rap group could put on a performance that looked and sounded that bad
Alpine Valley 2000
Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    I didn't watch any of it. Now I'm happy that I didn't see it. The B-Boys are above these "benefit" shows. If they want to do more benefit concerts (like they did in the 90's) they should make sure it benefits someone other than themselves and Al Gore.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    interesting!
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    I thought they tore it up. Guys are in their 40's and still have amazing energy...especially during Sabotage.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    they may have had energy but it was still performed badly...i mean maybe I'm just not familiar with Beastie Boys live (and I'm really not that much of a fan anyway) but he could hardly get all the words out and sometimes didnt
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • PissBottleManPissBottleMan Posts: 4,154
    I only got to see Sabotage, but that performance was off. Plus, the keyboard player was whacked out of his mind.

Sub par for the Boys on that tune.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    They were just rockin' out and it was rough but still awesome. I think the fucking mics and monitors were shoddy.
  • PissBottleManPissBottleMan Posts: 4,154
    I think the fucking mics and monitors were shoddy.

It seemed like the sound was off for much of the day. Instruments would overpower vocals.

The first 45-60 seconds of the Garth Brooks performance, I couldn't hear his vocals at all...it seemed to be a common problem yesterday.

But, to be fair, the organizers were producing several concurrent shows throughout the world.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Peter CPeter C Posts: 237
    London 1996 Cardiff 2000 Paris 2006 and London 2007.
  • DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    It seemed like the sound was off for much of the day. Instruments would overpower vocals.

The first 45-60 seconds of the Garth Brooks performance, I couldn't hear his vocals at all...it seemed to be a common problem yesterday.

But, to be fair, the organizers were producing several concurrent shows throughout the world.

PBM

Yeah, but on different continents. There is a fucking Guitar Center on like 3 where they could have gotten decent equipment and smart guys to run the board.
  • yeah they kinda put the sabotage in sabotage with that rendition last night. I like the beastie boys, but ehhhh......
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • azwyldcatsazwyldcats Posts: 703
    totally dialed it in.
    And I'm not living this life without you, I'm selfish and clear
    And you're not leaving here without me, I don't wanna be without
    My best... friend. Wake up, to see you could have it all
  • pearljam0000pearljam0000 Posts: 450
    I can't wait to see them in Baltimore at the Virgin Festival next month.
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,836
    gleemonex wrote:
    I didn't watch any of it. Now I'm happy that I didn't see it. The B-Boys are above these "benefit" shows. If they want to do more benefit concerts (like they did in the 90's) they should make sure it benefits someone other than themselves and Al Gore.

i agree with you about the bullshit benefit concert. 90's percent of these musicians, if you even want to call them that, most likely don't give a shit about the environment, and probably don't do anything in their personal live to help cut down on global warming. i watched some of live earth on universal HD which was the same broadcast as the sundance channel and they seemed to focus a good bit on the climate change problem....but the bravo broadcast which is probably what most people saw was terrible. they had two douche bags and a girl just blabbing about all the shitty performance the whole time, barely even mentioning what the whole purpose of these shitty performances was. it was just like a big showcase for all these shitty musicians that pollute our radio airwaves, and i find it hard to believe that this did anything to help stop climate change. that being said i don't think you should've brought al gore into this. i think his heart was in the right place, it just didn't work out well. it was the damn bravo network.

now to the main point, the beastie boys.....honestly what did you expect, i love the beasties but they are a bunch of old white rappers. rap in general sucks for live performances, i think at least they were better than the typical rapper or rap group.
    i didn't get to see roger waters, crowded house, or the police but from what i saw the only performances worth watching were the smashing pumpkins and the foo fighters. chili peppers could've been alright if they didn't play the worst songs possible and if anthony keidis could sing.
  • NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    they looked like fools
  • leafs4everleafs4ever Posts: 833
    ya the performance really wasn't that good...
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me"
    09/19/05, 05/09/06, 05/10/06
  • culot4culot4 Posts: 775

now to the main point, the beastie boys.....honestly what did you expect, i love the beasties but they are a bunch of old white rappers. rap in general sucks for live performances, i think at least they were better than the typical rapper or rap group.
    i didn't get to see roger waters, crowded house, or the police but from what i saw the only performances worth watching were the smashing pumpkins and the foo fighters. chili peppers could've been alright if they didn't play the worst songs possible and if anthony keidis could sing.

If you love Beastie Boys you could try being a little more respectful. They have reached legendary status and a sub par performance is still better than 80% of those other bands giving the performance of their careers. Them even lending their name to the mostly insignificant Live Earth gave it some much needed credibility.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,836
    culot4 wrote:
    If you love Beastie Boys you could try being a little more respectful. They have reached legendary status and a sub par performance is still better than 80% of those other bands giving the performance of their careers. Them even lending their name to the mostly insignificant Live Earth gave it some much needed credibility.

excuse me? sorry i really like the beastie boys. i forgot to suck their dicks though. what do you want me to say? i'm just speaking the truth. thruth is they are older guys now and they are in a rap group. it was a sub par performance, but i do believe i did say that it was better than a lot of the rest of the performances. anyway i can like their music without thinking they are spectacular live. i think rap is just a shitty genre to be performed live. it doesn't work for me and a lot of people would agree with that. personally i just like to see rock bands live but that's just me.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    i agree with you about the bullshit benefit concert. 90's percent of these musicians, if you even want to call them that, most likely don't give a shit about the environment, and probably don't do anything in their personal live to help cut down on global warming. i watched some of live earth on universal HD which was the same broadcast as the sundance channel and they seemed to focus a good bit on the climate change problem....but the bravo broadcast which is probably what most people saw was terrible. they had two douche bags and a girl just blabbing about all the shitty performance the whole time, barely even mentioning what the whole purpose of these shitty performances was. it was just like a big showcase for all these shitty musicians that pollute our radio airwaves, and i find it hard to believe that this did anything to help stop climate change. that being said i don't think you should've brought al gore into this. i think his heart was in the right place, it just didn't work out well. it was the damn bravo network.

This was the only time I have seen them do a bad show........every other time they have been quite impressive, the way the flow off of each other and mixmaster mikes amazing work blows me away everytime. They not only sounded terrible with the instruments but the performance was lame and the keyboardist (who wasnt even playing) made a fool out of himself and them.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • holtzholtz Posts: 509
    Peter C wrote:

Wow the crowd barely even moves for Sabotage.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    I'm a huge BBoys fan and that was pretty bad.

I would LOVE to see one of their instrumental shows though. I've heard nothing but great things about this tour.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,845
    they are getting old
    and cant do it like they used to
    I noticed it on the last tour

the instrumental shows should be better than the regular ones
  • why does no one remember the 80's, when Al and Tipper Gore were leading the charge for censorship in the music industry? Fuck these millionaires. Hypocrites every one.
    Can't Touch the Bottom:
    10-20-01/ 10-21-01/ 2-26-02/ 12-6-02/ 12-8-02/ 12-9-02/ 6-1-03/ 6-2-03/ 6-3-03/ 6-5-03/ 6-6-03/ 10-25-03/ 10-26-03/ 10-28-03/ 9-1-05/ 9-2-05/ 7-13-06/ 7-15-06/ 7-16-06/ 7-18-06/ 7-20-06/ 7-22-06/ 7-23-06
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    why does no one remember the 80's, when Al and Tipper Gore were leading the charge for censorship in the music industry? Fuck these millionaires. Hypocrites every one.

And nobody ever changes... :rolleyes:

Perhaps they realize that there is a bigger issue on the plate right now then censorship of music...

Hmmm...

Hmmm...