Jet

pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
edited July 2007 in Other Music
What was with the backlash for Shine On? I thought it was a quality album, just as good as Get Born.
Alpine Valley 2000
Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    i think it suffers from 2 problems:

1) it's really not all that different from get born. so to joe pop fan, why does he need this album if he's already got get born?

2) ive softened towards songs in commercials in some ways, but jet has taken it to the nth degree. it seems like half of both their albums are on some commercial somewhere. it's kinda like overkill, and i think people got sick of it and annoyed, so they turned on jet or just lost interest, assuming they were little more than jingle writers.

that said, i love get born. it's got such a classic sound.
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275

1) it's really not all that different from get born. so to joe pop fan, why does he need this album if he's already got get born?

2) ive softened towards songs in commercials in some ways, but jet has taken it to the nth degree. it seems like half of both their albums are on some commercial somewhere. it's kinda like overkill, and i think people got sick of it and annoyed, so they turned on jet or just lost interest, assuming they were little more than jingle writers.

What you say makes sense....and probably rings true for a ton of people.

But they sure do put on a great show. Basic, entertaining, loud, riffy, uncomplicated, get your rock on (or off) good time music. "Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is"...nothing but vocal fun and really like the Beatles blues of "Bring It On Back" A good frontman, Nic is.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412

I think the album sounds quite a bit different, it has alot of mellow tracks and they pretty much all sound different for the most part unlike Get Born which has some songs that I can barely tell the different between (not that its necessarily a bad thing if it sounds good)
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

I think the album sounds quite a bit different, it has alot of mellow tracks and they pretty much all sound different for the most part unlike Get Born which has some songs that I can barely tell the different between (not that its necessarily a bad thing if it sounds good)

having more midtempo numbers and fewer rock songs doesn't make it anything new. rip it up sounds like all the rockers on the first, and all those great mellow tracks don't sound all that different from 'look what you've done' or 'radio song.' not that that's bad, just that there's not much to compel a casual fan to feel like they need this one. it's an album for people who already like jet, full of songs that sound like jet. if you really like jet (as i do), you're going to love the album. if you just bought get born becos you got hooked on its big singles, you're not going to bother listening.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    having more midtempo numbers and fewer rock songs doesn't make it anything new. rip it up sounds like all the rockers on the first, and all those great mellow tracks don't sound all that different from 'look what you've done' or 'radio song.' not that that's bad, just that there's not much to compel a casual fan to feel like they need this one. it's an album for people who already like jet, full of songs that sound like jet. if you really like jet (as i do), you're going to love the album. if you just bought get born becos you got hooked on its big singles, you're not going to bother listening.

Alot of once Jet fans dont like them now though.....kinda like when they heard somebody else didnt like them, they jumped on the bandwagon as well
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

Alot of once Jet fans dont like them now though.....kinda like when they heard somebody else didnt like them, they jumped on the bandwagon as well

eh, i dont know if id consider them jet fans. they sold a lot of albums on hit singles. i dont consider people who only liked ten as pearl jam fans either really. they are mostly just pop music fans who like listening to whatever's in at the moment.
  • oppie1oppie1 Posts: 755
    they need to cut Iggy Pop royalty checks for ripping off Lust for Life when they put out that awful song, Are You Gonna Be My Girl
    BoyHitsCar Masked Street Team
    www.lovecorealliance.com

Upcoming boyhitscar concerts:
    11/7/07 - Allentown Pa
    11/11/07 - Hartford Ct

www.myspace.com/briankutys
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    I don't know how different it was from the first one but having listened to shine on a couple of times at work it made me angry and not in a RATM sort of way where you are like mad in a good way, it made me angry because it was just a brutal album. Of course the last one had hits even one hit would have done a lot because the casual fans would still check it out.
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    What was with the backlash for Shine On? I thought it was a quality album, just as good as Get Born.

Because people are bunch of bloody fookin' wankas
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003

im not so much a fan of their slower numbers. timothy off get born makes me just gag.
    but every time i see them live and nic says hi we're JET from melbourne, being australian, i cant help but laugh. yeah mate we know where you're from :D
    and man are they ever fucking loud live.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say