Options

Velvet Revolver

ToeJamToeJam Posts: 35
edited March 2006 in Other Music
What do you think of VR? I think they're pretty damn good.
We all walk the long road
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    i think it's about time for some new stuff from them.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Boooooooo,

ive totally lost my liking for them,...loved when they came out, saw them live and lost it.

weiland always syaying dont compare me to axl, then he wwalks out on stage dressed like a cheap axl impersonator complete with little hat and all...

dont get me wrong, i love STP and GNR, will always love slash....i just dont know if id buy their new album, but i was heavy into them when they first dropped.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Options
    boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    I found most of the first album incredibly boring.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • Options
    Contraband gets regular rotation at my house. I love it and am looking forward to some new stuff too.
    reaching in..... the suns fingers clutch the dawn to pass
    even out..... it's a precious thing to bear
  • Options
    Velvet Revolver is the best thing to happen to rock in a long long time.

I am like obsessed with VR. Contraband is probably like my second favourite album of all time. If it wasn't for Ten it would be number one...

I listened to that album so many times and I still like it the same as day one. The first week it came out I probably listened to it a good 30 times.

I can't fucking wait until the new album. Espicially it being a concept album it makes me even more excited.
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,256
    VR gets mca47's "two thumbs down".

STP and GnR were good, this mix of the two is horrible. There are a lot of talented mofos in this band, but the music they create is on the crappy side.
  • Options
    VR are decent at best.

The word average comes to mind.
    The Official Matt Cameron appreciation signature!
  • Options
    i think slash should buy front row tickets to every GnR show that comes up, and he should heckle axl without mercy!

i don't care if chinese democracy is good (ok, maybe i do) ... eff that shit, and eff whomever axl paid to play guitar next to (and possibly tolerate) him ... i said, possibly tolerate.
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    pjcowgirl wrote:
    Contraband gets regular rotation at my house. I love it and am looking forward to some new stuff too.
    same here brother.
  • Options
    I'm not really a fan of Velvet Revolver. But I couldn't stand GNR and wasn't a huge fan of STP, so I don't know why I would like Velvet Revolver. It sounds exactly as you would think - GNR with a different singer. I didn't like GNR when they first came out because it seemed like they were a bunch of prima donnas who were portrayed as some type of exception to the 80's metal rule because they partied harder and played music that was a little better than what was out there. I think they get more credit than they deserve because the music that came out when they were around was so bad.
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    I bought the album.. listined to it twice.. and went to sleep.
  • Options
    chris05chris05 Posts: 347
    I am a big VR fan, thought the first album was awesome and cant wait for the new one.
    Who cares if the world is going down the toilet? Eddie Vedder got his mojo back!
  • Options
    Dreamfire2Dreamfire2 Posts: 161
    Great album, didn't hold up to PJ, Foo FIghters, Audioslave, or STP live. May still be meshing though.
  • Options
    melodyman22melodyman22 Posts: 326
    vr rules great fucking cd and saying it dont match up to foo fighters get real foos are ok but come on scott schools dave at singing
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    it is shit. But you already knew I'd say that
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Boooooooo,

ive totally lost my liking for them,...loved when they came out, saw them live and lost it.

weiland always syaying dont compare me to axl, then he wwalks out on stage dressed like a cheap axl impersonator complete with little hat and all...

dont get me wrong, i love STP and GNR, will always love slash....i just dont know if id buy their new album, but i was heavy into them when they first dropped.

Weiland has dressed like that for years, long before VR formed. I remember seeing STP about six years ago and he was wearing that same army style hat.

I think the next album will be better than the first because the first was recorded long before any real chemistry had been formed. They're a great live band, and Weiland is still probably the best frontman around.
  • Options
    MCGMCG Posts: 780
    I think when you look at 'Contraband' you have to keep in mind that Weiland has not been with the boys all that long. Good chemistry takes time and effort. I think 'Contraband' was good but it seemed a little bit slapped together... I think the bands next release will silence the critics.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • Options
    btb002btb002 Posts: 183
    Scott lost the charm he had while in STP, now he just reminds me of a dirty bum drug addict. Bought the CD when it first came out liked Slither, Fall to Pieces (literally tapped my feet the whole time, completely floored), and Illegal i-Song, other than that lyrics were mediocre, music seemed over-played and tired. Average band at best when it comes to being creative.
    You are just a negative mindless pud.
  • Options
    iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    i like velvet revolver and i've seen them live a few times.
    i never saw stp live
    but i like stp's cds better
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options
    KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    We have to listen to the next album and maybe then we can have our opinions about VR. I saw them once live but Scott wasn't really good that day. Contraband wasn't very good but was also not bad. I hope the next album will be better.
  • Options
    btb002btb002 Posts: 183
    Klumpie wrote:
    I saw them once live but Scott wasn't really good that day.

Scott's voice is more disappointing than Cornell's live. Everytime he plays his voice is horrible, and if it wasn't for the bullhorn no would know what he's singing on the harder songs.
    You are just a negative mindless pud.
  • Options
    btb002 wrote:
    Scott's voice is more disappointing than Cornell's live. Everytime he plays his voice is horrible, and if it wasn't for the bullhorn no would know what he's singing on the harder songs.

Yep, I saw Cornell that same day also live, he was fantastic. Audioslave was the best act of the day.
  • Options
    I dont like them at all. I couldnt really put a finger on what was wrong with their music until I read a review that said every chorus of theirs is just designed to have drunks roaring along. And that's what I dislike about it, no profoundness, no complex songwriting just simple pseudo-melodic choruses.

Lots of people like them though, so no offense, I hope my criticism was still in respectful territory.
    Well, do you need a lot of what you've got to survive?
  • Options
    They are one of my favorite bands. Scott just has that swagger about him. I them live and they blew me away. It wasn't quite as good as STP live...but thats damn hard to top. But still getting to see slash and the boys rip it up and scott go crazy on stage was awsome. Can't wait till the new album drops
    "Being undecided...it's dangerous. And I'll give you a perfect example: people with mullets, that's indecision."-EV

9/28/05-PNC
    5/30/06-DC
    6/23/06-Pittsburgh
  • Options
    adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,504
    boroff89 wrote:
    I found most of the first album incredibly boring.

I agree. I was really pumped for this to come out. Bought it the first day and had a hard time getting through it. Gave it one more listen and still felt quite bored with it and haven't listened to it again. I loved STP and generally liked most GnR stuff but this just disappointed me.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    melodyman22melodyman22 Posts: 326
    velvet revolver is one of the best bands going come on slashs great guitar scotts singing is fine live i dunno what your talking about he is amazing on stage they rule great album too
  • Options
  • Options
    MCGMCG Posts: 780
    Klumpie wrote:

I really doubt this is true.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • Options
    I was interested in them because I wanted to know how the guys from GNR were doing. So I found out aaaaand, I have to saayy...I am no longer interested.

Thank you.
    The poster formerly known as AeonFlux.
  • Options
    vr rules great fucking cd and saying it dont match up to foo fighters get real foos are ok but come on scott schools dave at singing
    That may be but a band is more than just the vocalist.
    Also, I feel like as far as band chemistry goes, Foo Fighters has it much more so than Velvet Revolver and it shows in their music. You could have Eddie at vocals, Zakk Wylde on guitar, Flea on bass and Dave Grohl on the skins in a band. I think everyone could agree that all these guys excel at their respective instrument but that does not mean that they can collaborate to make great music.
    "No matter how cold the winter, there's a springtime ahead."