Sleater-Kinney - Where to start?

AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
edited April 2008 in Other Music
Looking to buy a Sleater-Kinney album. Where would be a good place to start? I really like Modern Girl and I remember enjoying them at Mansfield in '03.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    one beat & the woods would be my favs, but i haven't really heard much from the others
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • I remember enjoying them at Mansfield in '03.

Big ol piss break for me, then.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    Please, S-K haters, keep the FUCK out. We don't wanna hear how awful you think they sounded in 03.

Anyway,

my personal favorites are All Hands On The Bad One and Dig Me Out.

Their newest one, "The Woods," is a fucking classic though.

"Hot Rock" is probably the most difficult to get into, but is still very good.
  • Please, S-K haters, keep the FUCK out. We don't wanna hear how awful you think they sounded in 03.

I didn't think they sounded awful in just 2003. I think they just sound awful anyway ya slice, it.....there's a difference :)

music aint bad.........it's her chainsaw voice that brings it down for me......and her butchering of background vocals on PJ tracks.........tis a shame because actually, musically they're quite talented.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    It's just pisses me off that a shit load of people are going to come in here and bad mouth the band...it always happens when S-K is brought up around here.

S-K were a phenomenal band, and it sucks they are gone.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I didn't think they sounded awful in just 2003. I think they just sound awful anyway ya slice, it.....there's a difference :)

music aint bad.........it's her chainsaw voice that brings it down for me......and her butchering of background vocals on PJ tracks.........tis a shame because actually, musically they're quite talented.
    She NAILED Fortunate Son in Mansfield, holy shit.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    thanks evo and daytime. i think i'll start w/ the woods.

btw, the version of modern girl from burn to shine is a-mazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KpMGdqsq2g&eurl=http://fuelfriends.blogspot.com/
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    I would start with "One Beat" or my fave...."Dig Me Out."
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • I started with The Hot Rock, just cos I wanted an S-K album, and that was the cheapest one available. I wouldn't recommend it - it's notoriously difficult to get into. I'd say the last three albums are their most accessible, and Dig Me Out is known as their classic album. But they never made a bad one, and you'll end up getting them all anyway.:)
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
    ty & rhino - thnx to you both as well.
    i bought both dig me out and the woods. thanks for all of your suggestions.
  • If I really want to be comically entertained I'd throw on an '03 boot for sure. Fortunate Son is hilarious as fuck!
  • wash_wash_ Posts: 1,073
    I'd think The Woods is the best place to start...the most accesible album of theirs.

I've worked backwards, currently on Call the Doctor, which still needs to be broken into.

Man, I miss those riffs!
    2006 ░▒▓ Astoria, Dublin, Leeds, Reading, Lisbon, Paris, Verona, Athens
    2007 ░▒▓ London, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009 ░▒▓ Manchester, London
    2010 ░▒▓ Hyde Park

*§* Music is all the juice i'll need *§*
  • Human TideHuman Tide Posts: 327
    One Beat is awesome.
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    I'd say All Hands on the Bad One is the most accessible album
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    i bought both dig me out and the woods. thanks for all of your suggestions.
    How about giving us your thoughts after you listen to them a couple of times???
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
    I started off with The Woods when I first was getting into them. They were great!
  • Brain Of EBrain Of E Posts: 499
    awesome band. my fav album has got to be AHOTBO, but they're all classics. I havn't heard any of the pre-Janet records though. also i think carrie is f-ing hot!!! even if she is a lesbo, that makes her even hotter!!
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    Looking to buy a Sleater-Kinney album. Where would be a good place to start? I really like Modern Girl and I remember enjoying them at Mansfield in '03.

Dig Me Out and Hot Rock are my faves.

They don't have a bad album.