RHCP concert last night

haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
edited September 2006 in Other Music
Overall it was good, i think... but not great.

They played a lot of stuff from their new album - which i guess is to be expected - but still i wanted to hear a lot more variety. They didn't play other side and under the bridge, which dissapointed my friends and i.

Also in their encore they played a couple good songs, then jammed for about twenty minutes... i don't have a problem with jamming but IMO they could have cut that in half and squeezed a couple more songs in. Anyways, they ended on that... my friend and i were sure they'd do another encore, but they didn't.

Notable songs for me were give it away, californication and blood sugar sex magik.

Overall i guess it was pretty good; it was my first chili peppers concert so i didn't really know what to expect.
live pearl jam is best pearl jam
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• seen them four times. no intention of seeing them again. no variation, not much of a connection with the crowd, set too short.

great band, but they just cant cut it live.
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    seen them four times. no intention of seeing them again. no variation, not much of a connection with the crowd, set too short.

great band, but they just cant cut it live.

yes.
    i thought maybe it was the fact that it was the first concert after pearl jam - and whenever that happens, the concert stinks in comparison.
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    Im seeing them in October. Ive seen them 2 other times..I remember the first show being really good and the one i went after after they release by the way was good but it was a bit disappointing. I do hope they play under the bridge.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • Are they still touring with The Mars Volta? How were they?
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Yield
    8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
    ---
    1. Black
    2. Rearviewmirror
    3. Light Years
    4. Given to Fly
    5. Severed Hand
    pj_zombie wrote:
    Are they still touring with The Mars Volta? How were they?
    yes they are.
    and they were pretty good... i guess. well, i haven't listened to TMV in a long time so i didn't really get into it as much as i thought i might when i first heard they were touring together. plus their songs tend to drag out a bit live, roulette dares took about 15 minutes, my friend timed it so i'm not even exaggerating - not that i mind, cause i love that song, but yeah.
  • With Mars Volta you know what you're getting with long jam sessions. I've really been listening to their material a lot lately so I'd love to see them.
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Yield
    8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
    ---
    1. Black
    2. Rearviewmirror
    3. Light Years
    4. Given to Fly
    5. Severed Hand
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    I saw them a few years back won't see them again they don't do it for me as a band.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
    pj_zombie wrote:
    With Mars Volta you know what you're getting with long jam sessions. I've really been listening to their material a lot lately so I'd love to see them.
    yeah i knew it too, when Omar came out... 'here we go!'
  • I went to the concert because my friend wanted to go and I wanted to see the mars volta. I ended up missing most of the mars volta because my friends brother was an idiot. So that sucked. I have never been a big RHCP fan. I like a couple of their songs and respect them as talented musicians but alot of their songs sound the same. I thought maybe it was just me, but my friend agreed with me and the Vancouver newspaper actually had a headline criticising them for the same thing. It was an allright show. Nothing great. If I hadn't last seen PJ at the gorge for 2 nights and Tool in calgary maybe it would have seemed better.
    I went to the concert because my friend wanted to go and I wanted to see the mars volta. I ended up missing most of the mars volta because my friends brother was an idiot. So that sucked. I have never been a big RHCP fan. I like a couple of their songs and respect them as talented musicians but alot of their songs sound the same. I thought maybe it was just me, but my friend agreed with me and the Vancouver newspaper actually had a headline criticising them for the same thing. It was an allright show. Nothing great. If I hadn't last seen PJ at the gorge for 2 nights and Tool in calgary maybe it would have seemed better.
    yeah that's what i was thinking!
    PJ sets the bar pretty high, especially in length and variety of shows - i think that added to the RHCP show being slightly dissapointing.

haha what'd your friends brother do?
  • I'm not from Vancouver so I trusted him with the transit times. He was mad at me because i told him the mars volta were going to be better than the rhcp so he sabotaged me. At least I think he did. He goes on these buses all the times and assured us we had enough time. I will get him back someday.
  • I thought they were awesome in Denver, we drove 9 hours for that concert. But i might be a little biased considering my username.
  • ToshalaToshala Posts: 200
    when we saw them Aug 25 they were excellent! Totally gave us their ALL! Great light/video thing going on ...(certain they're doing that each concert, but I really dug it!!!) So, we thought they were having a good time too.....Jon and Flea were on FIYAH!!!!!!!!! Anthony was all over the place and all in all, I plan to see them the next time around.....

:)
  • RHCp have slowly climbed their way up the list as on of my favorites of all time (behind PJ), but i saw them live once and thought they were just pretty good. But i've collected three live dvds of rhcp, and those are awesome! I wonder if you just have to be close to really enjoy it fully.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Going to see them twice around the beginning of October in Quebec City and Boston. Can't wait!
  • I saw them last night and thought it was good, it certainly was a loud show and they said it was the biggest sell out crowd in Calgary in 5 years, which is pretty cool.. but I liked the show in edmonton two years ago a lot more. They played a lot off their new album, which was okay.. but it would have been nice if they had of mixed it up a bit. The Mars Volta was a mish mash of loud ear piercing crap that was so uncomfortable and weird.. I just had to go up to the concourse and drink another beer...they wouldn't be so bad if they would stop trying so hard to be too different.. or whatever they are trying to do.
    I was also surprised that they didn't come out for a 2nd encore(the RHCP) in Edmonton 2 years ago they did.. and they played a lot more of their old stuff and got the crowd into it more then last night.... I swear Anthony looked wasted last night, hopefully he wasn't because he's supposed to be clean .
  • I've been kind of worried about that myself. People who have attended shows on this tour have been saying that he hasn't been his usual energetic self.
  • funkymonk wrote:
    I've been kind of worried about that myself. People who have attended shows on this tour have been saying that he hasn't been his usual energetic self.

exactly.. he didn't seem to be his same enegetic self as Ive seen him before. I dont know how to explain it really, he just didnt' seem to connect with the crowd or wasn't trying to. Maybe he was disapointed at Mars Volta and how terrible they sounded. :) The show I saw last tour had way more energy.
    RHCp have slowly climbed their way up the list as on of my favorites of all time (behind PJ), but i saw them live once and thought they were just pretty good. But i've collected three live dvds of rhcp, and those are awesome! I wonder if you just have to be close to really enjoy it fully.
    yeah, my seats were terrible. for some reason my friend's brother kept refreshing the ticketmaster page and the seats got worse and worse (obviously). my brother had better seats and he said it was the best concert he's ever been to (then again, he says that for every concert).
    Earthgirl wrote:
    they said it was the biggest sell out crowd in Calgary in 5 years
    they said that in van too... whatever band toured canada 5 years ago must'a been pretty damn big hahaha.

I thought they were awesome in Denver, we drove 9 hours for that concert. But i might be a little biased considering my username.

ps... mmmmm, john frusciante... :D