sec 116 at tool last night...

haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
edited December 2007 in Other Music
to the people in the front row standing and rocking out, thanks.
to the rest of the section sitting... lame?
to the people who told us to sit down... the aladdin musical was down the street, i think you came to the wrong venue.

i mean, its not like you didn't have enough time to sit back during all the crowd problems and tech problems and interruptions.
live pearl jam is best pearl jam
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,262
    to the people who told us to sit down... the aladdin musical was down the street, i think you came to the wrong venue.

i mean, its not like you didn't have enough time to sit back during all the crowd problems and tech problems and interruptions.

where and please explain what happened ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    well, (spoiled pearl jam fan begins to complain), they played for less than 2 hours, but a lot of that was waiting around while the police had to go into the crowd on the floor (i had good seats off to the side where i could see what was going on)

that happened twice, the second time i guess they decided that they wre going to take the chairs out...so we had to wait for the crowd to pass all the chairs in that area forward.

then later i think danny was having problems with his kit, i dno.. i know nothing about drums but i saw him talking to his tech and pointing to things. then they brought another set of drums out before lateralus, so the drummer from trans am would come out and join (which was AMAZING.)

it just seemed like there wre a lot of times we wre just waiting around and it made the experience so short.
  • I saw Tool in 2002 (I think) I thought they put on a great show, but in the days before the show, i decided to check out their setlists to see what they were playing. I was hugely disappointed to see that they were playing the exact same setlist night-in, night-out. Even down to solos, and bringing the opening act out to lay a song. Could you imaginge going to see a band at a few stops along the tour an dthey play a carbon copy at each and every show?
  • TheGossmanTheGossman Posts: 1,120

when I saw tool there were people in my section sleeping, don't feel bad
    9/4/98, 8/4/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 4/19/03, 4/25/03, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 4/29/03, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/6/04, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 8/5/07, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/14/08, 6/16/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    I saw Tool in 2002 (I think) I thought they put on a great show, but in the days before the show, i decided to check out their setlists to see what they were playing. I was hugely disappointed to see that they were playing the exact same setlist night-in, night-out. Even down to solos, and bringing the opening act out to lay a song. Could you imaginge going to see a band at a few stops along the tour an dthey play a carbon copy at each and every show?
    YES! I saw them twice in 2002 and they played the exact same show!
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    yeah, I saw Tool for the first time about 2 weeks ago. Phenominal musicians they are and the show was great, but I don't really get the obsession with the visuals and stage presence, I have seen way better. I'm just not used to seeing the lead singer of a band stand behind or off to the side in a shadow like figure all night long and prance around on a plat form. They had me looking at my watch a few times cause sorry when you drag songs out 20 minutes it gets boring. The drum off with Trans AM was amazing though (think the guy's name is Buzz??) Danny showed him up though- Danny was great, his drumming really is awesome. He is very skilled as are Justin, Maynard and Adam. Tool appears to have been playin the same set for over a year with a few slight changes. I was disappointed they dropped Aenima from the set. Hearing that live I'm sure is fantastic. As a casual Tool fan, I feel that now that I have seen them, they aren't a band I need to see on multiple runs of a tour though. Basically I have seen them, and don't feel the need to again. I felt the same way about counting crows (not comparing the music just similar show presentation), it feels like the same show years and years later although it's performed very well. Ok I know this sounds insulting, to die hard Tool fans, so go ahead and ream me.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
    well i knew before hand that they do the same set basically.
    some of it was just purely amazing... but all the interruptions and everything was kind of a pain in the ass and it felt like we could have had at least 2 more songs in there had we not waited around.

i was thinking about trying to get tickets tomorrow night in victoria (since i'm back in greater vancouver now anyways) my brother is going... but i think i'll try to save my money (if i wasn't broke i'd dish out the cash to see the same-ish set list again but i am poor)
  • pjbiz wrote:
    Should have went to the Spice Girls show last night instead, haha!!!

i knew youd be there jay.....hows about that drink before you go?
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
    pjbiz wrote:
    Haha, just trying to help a fellow local PJer fulfill her childhood dream of 5 years ago.

I'm pretty tight on schedule the next few weeks but let me know. I'm totally free after the 21st when I go into retirement again.

Oh and since this subject is on Tool, I'll give my opinion. They're one of my top bands and I saw 3 times on 3 different continents this tour.....

3rd row at the Paramount Theatre in Seattle, WA - Just an amazing show, rather short, but just unbelievable.

Front row on the rail at the Sidney Myer Bowl in Melbourne, Australia - Disappointing, Maynard did not move at all, performances were good, playing 10,000days saved the show for me, almost identical set but even shorter, only 8 songs.

Near the back at the Brixton Academy in London, UK - Not bad, was finally able to see the full visuals sitting at the back. A little bit longer with 10 songs about an hour and a half. Better than most shows, but still lacking in expectations.

Conclusion - Tool has some incredible musicians and their performances are amazing, but don't see them more than once a tour, and don't go in with go in with through the roof expectations. The only big name bands that I've seen that even come close to PJ in terms being worth seeing time after time are Nine Inch Nails, Radiohead, and maybe the Whitestripes.

actually, SIR, it was 7 years ago.
    did you actually go?!

AND YOU KNOW WHAT. my project was due on THURSDAY. so in the end, I COULD HAVE GONE.
  • I saw Tool in 2002 (I think) I thought they put on a great show, but in the days before the show, i decided to check out their setlists to see what they were playing. I was hugely disappointed to see that they were playing the exact same setlist night-in, night-out. Even down to solos, and bringing the opening act out to lay a song. Could you imaginge going to see a band at a few stops along the tour an dthey play a carbon copy at each and every show?

its because the visuals and light shows are so specific that the crew needs to know what the fuck is going on so they cant just "improvise"
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • pjbiz wrote:
    Should have went to the Spice Girls show last night instead, haha!!!

ahh you went to that jay?? you should have given me a ring !!!!!

on topic again .. FLOOD WAS FUCKING AMAZING and THEY NAILED 10,000 DAYS!!!!
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • pjbiz wrote:
    What are you talking about? You were sitting right beside me trying to make Beckham jealous!

But lets not start this rumour of what we do during the off season of pj tours.

haha the gig is up!! stupid bratz van lmao j/k bratz totally rulzzzzz!!
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}