In Hunger Strike

webberf1webberf1 Posts: 160
edited February 2007 in Other Music
who do you think makes the better vocal performance - Chris or Eddie?

Although i think overall Chris is the better singer by a good amount, and has made vocal performances (such as Say Hello 2 Heaven) which Eddie Vedder - let alone anyone else - could never match, i actually think Eddie takes the spotlight in Huger Strike over Chris. when his deep hymn-like voice kicks in at the second verse, it sends chills down my spine every time.

discuss...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pirlo21pirlo21 Posts: 534
    Agreed. Cornell himself said that he was struggling with the song until Ed lent a hand.
    Cymru Am Byth

PJ albums, at the moment!! -
    1,Vs 2,Vitalogy 3,No Code 4,Yield 5,Ten 6,Backspacer, 7Pearl Jam 8,Binaural 9,Riot Act.
  • Chris's voice sounds so mourful when he's singing the 'going hungr -eh-eh-eh' parts, now that sends shivers down my spine. That said, it's the combination of both voices that makes the song stand out, their voices are such a perfect match.
  • DercheefDercheef Posts: 732
    Cornell. I love Eddies voice on this but no one seems to be able to sing Cornells part properly nowadays. Not even Cornell.
    2006:Arnhem,Bern,Berlin
    2007:München,Düsseldorf,Nijmegen
    2008:NY1,NY2,Mansfield1,Mansfield2
    2009:London,Rotterdam,Berlin,Manchester,London
    2010:NY1,NY2,Dublin,Belfast,Berlin
    2011:PJ20,Montreal,TorontoI+II,Hamilton
    2012:Amsterdam I+II, Prague, Berlin I+II, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen
    2013: Phoenix, San Diego, LA I+II, Oakland
    2014: Amsterdam I+II, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: Philly I+II, MSG I+II
  • macgyver06macgyver06 Posts: 2,500
    compliments
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    even if cornell's voice is technically better, I much prefer Eddie's on hunger strike. his voice is just amazing on it.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • They are equally strong in this song i feel. They both even each other out in the vocal sense beautifully, and it can be guaranteed the song would not be the same if it wasn't one without the other.
    "Everyone wants to be the sun that lights up your life, but I'd rather be your moon so I can shine on you during your darkest hour when your sun's not around."
  • mohomoho Posts: 541
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    even if cornell's voice is technically better, I much prefer Eddie's on hunger strike. his voice is just amazing on it.

Cornell's voice WAS technically better...

Nothing personnal against you but i just think he's lost it.
    JUST PLAY THE F***ING NOTE!!!
  • Just like with every second of that album Cornell was super human. Eddie's part is beautiful though, I couldn't imagine the song without it.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Marie CurieMarie Curie Posts: 1,250
    I wish those 2 would record something together again, their voices sound so great together.
    “Life is life everywhere. Life is in ourselves and not outside us. There will be men beside me, and the important thing is to be a man among men and to remain a man always, whatever the misfortunes, not to despair and not to fall - that is the aim of life, that is its purpose.”
    Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  • yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    When Ed's voice kicks in it's like a huge wave crashing down...amazing
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
  • yield2me wrote:
    When Ed's voice kicks in it's like a huge wave crashing down...amazing
    I've thought that too. It's like this big swell of bass that just sweeps you off.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    Just like with every second of that album Cornell was super human. Eddie's part is beautiful though, I couldn't imagine the song without it.

I can't agree more. The more people I hear attempt this song (Chris' part) and butcher it, the more I love the two of them together. The whole thing is beautiful.
    moho wrote:
    Cornell's voice WAS technically better...

Nothing personnal against you but i just think he's lost it.
    I meant on the song when I used the present tense :) I don't have much respect for his voice now.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I meant on the song when I used the present tense :) I don't have much respect for his voice now.

His most recent recordings on that acoustic radio show he did were awesome, his voice has improved a lot since he gave up smoking.
    His most recent recordings on that acoustic radio show he did were awesome, his voice has improved a lot since he gave up smoking.
    well I'll be honest and say I haven't heard it. I have heard good things though. I hold out hope for chris still but only if he releases another solo album a la Euphoria Morning. I think, aside from soundgarden and TOTD, he works best in an acoustic format.
  • Gov't Mule does an AMAZING version.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V