Help me with REM

webberf1webberf1 Posts: 160
edited July 2007 in Other Music
REM, surprisingly, is one of those bands which I never really bothered getting any of their albums. This is even though I have generally really enjoyed their music. I want to start off getting an album today.

Any fans reccomend where i should start?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    pretty tough to know exactly where to start because of how large & diverse their catalogue is. automatic for the people is the big album, everybody hurts, man on the moon etc. it's quite a mellow one though. if you want rocky go for new adventures in hifi. out of the early albums document is probably a good place to start if you want to see where they've come from but it does have that 80's feel to it. in time is their last best of compilation they put out & is probably the best place to start, all the recent day rem singles are on there. i really enjoyed the last album around the sun too. hope this helps
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    my 2 favorite albums by them are "Automatic for the People" and "New Adventures in Hi-Fi". also, if you can find their greatest hits from their IRS years, that's a good place to start. I would personally steer clear of "Monster" and everything that came after "New Adventures", at least for the first album.

but yeah, if you want to get into REM, "Automatic for the People" is the best place to start imo.
  • Brain of J.LoBrain of J.Lo Posts: 3,259
    new adventures in hi fi and automatic for the people are good starter albums.

i love rem. don't know too many people my age that are into them. (i'm 27 and have been listening to them since my sister was in college in the early to mid 80s!)
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    murmur
    document
    green
    automatic
    out of time

sorry can't give ya 1.....then you can get into the deeper and more recent stuff.....:)
  • crittablescrittables Posts: 342
    eponymous
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    cutback wrote:
    murmur
    document
    green
    automatic
    out of time

sorry can't give ya 1.....then you can get into the deeper and more recent stuff.....:)
    man, green & out of time, crickey, two awesome albums right there
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • DCGARDENDCGARDEN Posts: 515
    I used to hate them with that Around the world and Stand songs, but what turned me onto them was their Monster album, and I have since gone back and love em.

I think the best is Out of time - very mellow, very cool vibe going on there

Love Up and Hi-Fi as well.
    I'll keep taking punches
    Untill their will grows tired
  • One of my top 5 favorite bands. New Adventures in Hi-Fi and Automatic for the People are my favorites. Great places to start.

As for the people who tell you to steer clear of Monster, well, they're dumb. Love that album, too. A bot repetitive at times, but come on Circus Envy is a great fucking tune.
    What I Should Have Said...Was Nothing.
  • up and New Adventures for a modern dif. sound...love those albums
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • MLC2006 wrote:
    but yeah, if you want to get into REM, "Automatic for the People" is the best place to start imo.
    I agree.

Then Document, Green (mix of the early albums.. basically a best of)...
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Yes, Document, Automatic, New Adventures In Hi-Fi, all that.... You should make an attempt at Murmer at some point I say.
    05/30/03 Van, 09/01/05 Gorge, 09/02/05 Van, 09/04/05 Cal, 09/05/05 Ed, 09/07/05 S'toon, 09/08/05 'Peg, 07/22&23/06 Gorge, 06/14/08 'Roo, 08/08/09 Cal, 09/21/11 Cal, 09/23/11 Ed, 12/02/13 Cal
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    I agree.

Then Document, Green (mix of the early albums.. basically a best of)...

hey toastie, don't forget to go and post in my "pearl jam is hot as the devil's asshole thread" on MT. feel free to say some clever things as well, i've read some of your posts - you strike me as a bright kid.

btw, back to REM, yes - automatic for the people is the place to start. but, if you're looking for a brilliant yet challenging listen i propose you listen to up
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • glasshouse wrote:
    hey toastie, don't forget to go and post in my "pearl jam is hot as the devil's asshole thread" on MT. feel free to say some clever things as well, i've read some of your posts - you strike me as a bright kid.

btw, back to REM, yes - automatic for the people is the place to start. but, if you're looking for a brilliant yet challenging listen i propose you listen to up
    I won't. If for no more reason than to annoy the anti-pearl jam few on there :p.

And Indifference is quite the closer indeed... :cool:
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762

And Indifference is quite the closer indeed... :cool:

you've got it down. all the way.
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    monster and new adventures in hifi are my favorites.
    Otherwise, a good start could be the best of they release a few years ago...
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • pdh1978pdh1978 Posts: 211
    Murmur and Green are the best 2 in my opinion.

Also noteworthy are Monster, Out of Time and Automatic.
    If you all stop hitting refresh for just two minutes, I can buy my tickets...
  • ||Release_Me||||Release_Me|| Posts: 1,871
    From the early albums, i'd recommend Document.
    From the more recent albums, i'd recommend New Adventures in Hi-Fi.

My favourites include Monster, New Adventures in Hi-Fi, and Around The Sun. I think you have to listen to Out of Time, Automatic For The People and Monste just so you're familiar with all the 'big' records.
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    I would recommend starting more towards the begining. The progression of this band is quite extraordinary. Start with Murmur. You won't be disappointed.
    Automatic for the People is phenomenal.
    Enjoy!
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • memememe Posts: 4,695
    Automatic for the people is my favorite.
    First or last depending on whether you want to build up the love or build it down :)
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • dustdust Posts: 133
    New Adventures is definitely my favourite:) The early stuff is pheneomenal tho, Murmur is kinda special to me. They better tour their new album, its been too long
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    Fables of the Reconstruction is a hidden gem in this band's catalogue.

I'm also fond of many of the albums mentioned above, but I have to agree that REM's evolution from early 1980s to now is remarkable and worth the journey, if you're up to it. I think the material released after Bill Berry left the band draws a bit of a dividing line among fans, but there's still good music coming from these guys.

The Perfect Square dvd is also another favorite of mine, if you're looking for a live show to get acquainted with.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • electronblueelectronblue WPB Florida Posts: 3,460
    rhinomagic wrote:
    Fables of the Reconstruction is a hidden gem in this band's catalogue.

I'm also fond of many of the albums mentioned above, but I have to agree that REM's evolution from early 1980s to now is remarkable and worth the journey, if you're up to it. I think the material released after Bill Berry left the band draws a bit of a dividing line among fans, but there's still good music coming from these guys.

The Perfect Square dvd is also another favorite of mine, if you're looking for a live show to get acquainted with.

i need to check that one out!... also, i found some REM music on youtube not too long ago..one song in particular was titled "Maps and Legends" (LOL i heard maybe 15 secs of it that is) i am wondering if that song is new or old? hope to come across a longer version of it...~
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

• Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,848
    crittables wrote:
    eponymous

reckoning
    and
    fables of the reconstruction
    and
    lifes rich pagent
    best records IMHO

or best of the irs years 82-87

or anything prior to GREEN

automatic for the people is good record, its just very depressing to listen to