unpopular records

DischordVisionDischordVision Posts: 532
edited November 2007 in Other Music
So today I thought I'd come up w/ a list of albums that not every fan, casual or the faithful, have heard about or most people know nothing of the songs. That most mainstream/famous bands who've been around for at least over a decade, there are plenty. First, I think we can all agree that Binaural is PJ's least popular record. The casual fans I believe don't recognize any of the singles or when it was released. Maybe that's becuz the band put out the entire tour on the 1st of many official bootlegs + Touring Band 2000 DVD hence overshadowing the album...so here's goes

Bob Dylan - Dylan (1973, released only on 12" & cassette, now part of Bob
Dylan: The Collection on iTunes 2006)

The Who - Who's Missing (recorded between 1965-'72, released 1985)

Neil Young - Time Fades Away (1973), Journey Through the Past (1974) *vinyl only, good luck finding these holy grails of Neil's discography

The Ramones - Halfway to Sanity (1987)

Butthole Surfers - The Hole Truth...And Nothing Butt (1995)

Beck - Stray Blues (2000) a collection of b-sides

Second Coming - L.O.V. Evil (1995) *Layne Staley on It's Coming After

Live From Nowhere Near You (2000-'01?) - rare benefit compilation w/
Gossard/McCready & friends, McCready on vocals!

Calm Down Juanita (1998?) - Stone plays on several tracks, another needle
in a stack of needles

Clodhopper - Red's Recovery Room (1998) Ament plays bass, alternative
country band?

The Monkeywrench - Clean as a Broke-Dick Dog (1992), Electric Children
(2000), Gabriel's Horn (TBA) Mark & Steve from Mudhoney side project

how about you?..got anything else?..
U.S. / Canada Buffalo 1996 Barrie Ontario 1998 Saratoga Springs 2000 Toronto Ontario 2000 Albany 2003 Toronto Ontario 2003 Buffalo 2003 Toronto Ontario 2005 Toledo 2004 London Ontario 2005 Seattle 2009 Vancouver B.C. 2011 Seattle 2013
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• R.E.M. -- Up.

Their first album that had no big radio hits and was generally discarded in terms of popular opinion.

Ironically, though, many faithful fans consider it one of their best.
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • what songs are on Dylan (1973)?
  • edwf2000-
    Dylan (1973)
    1. Lily of the West
    2. Can't Help Falling in Love (Elvis cover)
    3. Sarah Jane
    4. The Ballad of Ira Hayes
    5. Mr. Bojangles (cover, written by?)
    6. Mary Ann
    7. Big Yellow Taxi
    8. A Fool Such As I
    9. Spanish is the Loving Tongue
    U.S. / Canada Buffalo 1996 Barrie Ontario 1998 Saratoga Springs 2000 Toronto Ontario 2000 Albany 2003 Toronto Ontario 2003 Buffalo 2003 Toronto Ontario 2005 Toledo 2004 London Ontario 2005 Seattle 2009 Vancouver B.C. 2011 Seattle 2013
  • Riot Act is less popular than Binaural, going by album sales.
    Can't escape from the common rule...
    If you hate something, don't you do it too
  • PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    First, I think we can all agree that Binaural is PJ's least popular record. The casual fans I believe don't recognize any of the singles or when it was released. Maybe that's becuz the band put out the entire tour on the 1st of many official bootlegs + Touring Band 2000 DVD hence overshadowing the album...
    I would have thought Riot Act was holding that title.. but maybe that's just me (Binaural is in my top 4)
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    R.E.M. -- Up.

Their first album that had no big radio hits and was generally discarded in terms of popular opinion.

I thought most people knew Daysleeper.

REM are the type of band that loads of people know the singles for, yet most people don't buy their albums. It's a real shame, as they are missing out on a LOT of fantastic material, such as your name, Mr. Walk Unafraid.

I love Up. It has a bit of a sombre mood to it most of the time, but I do like it a lot.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    audiodave wrote:
    I thought most people knew Daysleeper.

REM are the type of band that loads of people know the singles for, yet most people don't buy their albums. It's a real shame, as they are missing out on a LOT of fantastic material, such as your name, Mr. Walk Unafraid.

I love Up. It has a bit of a sombre mood to it most of the time, but I do like it a lot.

im guilty of that. i only have their 2 hits packages. i love every single song on both discs. but when i tried to get into monster and out of time, i just didnt get it.
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    no code
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • SchokiSchoki Posts: 5,072
    RHCP ~ One Hot Minute
  • im guilty of that. i only have their 2 hits packages. i love every single song on both discs. but when i tried to get into monster and out of time, i just didnt get it.

ya i was the same way for a while but about 5 months ago it just clicked...but try "Automatic for the People"
  • eclecticeclectic Posts: 244
    JSP552003 wrote:
    ya i was the same way for a while but about 5 months ago it just clicked...but try "Automatic for the People"

My faves are Document and Green
    'All the rusted signs,we ignore throughout our lives,
    Choosing the shiny ones instead'

Reading 06 - Torino 06 - Wembley 07
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    im guilty of that. i only have their 2 hits packages. i love every single song on both discs. but when i tried to get into monster and out of time, i just didnt get it.
    I get why people don't get it. But I love Monster and Out Of Time is awesome! I have to be in the mood for Monster, as it's a bit strange, but Out Of Time has some brilliant song writing on it. I know Automatic For The People is considered their finest hour, but i've never really got into that as much.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • R.E.M. -- Up.

I do! I love Sad Professor and You're in the Air.. it gets a little slow but it's a great album.

The Smashing Pumpkins released two (basically three) great records that are only slowly gaining the respect they deserve.. Adore and Machina obv.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • R.E.M. -- Up.

I've been trying to get Up to grow on me for 9 years now and it just ain't happenin'. I love "At My Most Beautiful" and "Parakeet,' but that's it.

For me, its all about Reveal. I love every song on that album.
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • I've been trying to get Up to grow on me for 9 years now and it just ain't happenin'. I love "At My Most Beautiful" and "Parakeet,' but that's it.

For me, its all about Reveal. I love every song on that album.
    Sad Prof... ?
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Keith Moon - 'Two Sides of the Moon' (not a great album but it was Keith so I really didn't give a shit!)
    John Entwistle - 'Smash Your Head Against the Wall' (he did 7 solo albums but I only own this one)

I'm lucky enough to have both of these on vinyl albeit they are pretty old....like me these days! ;)

I'm proud of you, you have Live From Nowhere Near You listed. When that was available, I bought about 5 or 6 copies of it and gave them as Christmas gifts that year, good music supporting a good cause. :)