R.E.M. Shiny Happy People

I Am GoneI Am Gone Posts: 831
edited March 2007 in Other Music
Anyone got a live performance of this?
REMEMBER KIDS....

The Bible is full of lies - Stone is the leader of us all!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    nope. but in my opinion the best version they do is the one on sesame street.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • I wonder if they ever performed it live...Stipe absolutely hates that song...plus it wouldn't really work without Kate.
  • I Am GoneI Am Gone Posts: 831
    I know they performed it a few times and boots do exist. I know for sure it was played on SNL in 91 or 92, so there is bond to be a good copy of it somewhere floating around...

PS: The 'Furry Happy Monsters' version kicks ass! Can you imagine PJ on Sesame Street?
    REMEMBER KIDS....

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    JWBusher wrote:
    I wonder if they ever performed it live...Stipe absolutely hates that song...plus it wouldn't really work without Kate.

yeah well, michael's not the only one who hates that song.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • niallniall Posts: 244
    Yeah I love rem but I really hate that song. Its cheese. The seasame street version is the best version ha ha
  • niallniall Posts: 244
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkHM8xG6i8o

here is the link to furry happy monsters
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    JWBusher wrote:
    I wonder if they ever performed it live...Stipe absolutely hates that song...plus it wouldn't really work without Kate.
    What a set of pipes on that lady, wow......
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • toddiet123toddiet123 Posts: 271
    Furry happy does rule..and I agree I am pretty sure they did it on Saturday Night Live.

As cheese as the song is..it still makes me smile.
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    One of the most annoying songs ever written.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • nope. but in my opinion the best version they do is the one on sesame street.

That's what I was going to say. The Sesame Street one is hilarious.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • I Am GoneI Am Gone Posts: 831
    bump
    REMEMBER KIDS....

• I like the song, but I always felt they were being ironic. Shiny happy people? I doubt they were being serious. It's a song taking the piss out of happy pop songs... that's what I always thought anyway.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Nope, but I did find Shiny Happy Hitler:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKbjynZGP3Q
    Can not be arsed with life no more.