Options

Australian Rock...

iluvslashiluvslash Posts: 121
edited March 2006 in Other Music
Is it me or has Australian rock just sunk completley quality wise??? I mean in the 70s through the 80s we had great rock bands AC/DC, INXS even in the 90s we had bands like silver chair, now what do we have??? the lead singer of silver chair has traded rock for techo, we have try-hard girl rock bands like the veronicas don't even remind of that horrible song they released and im sorry but i really hate kiss chasey and every other fucken simple plan rip off we have... Can't we just just go back to the good old days were rock was rock and not a cheap immitation..
With your bitch slap rappin' and your cocaine tongue you get nothing done!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    arent the chair reforming for a new album?
    Run to the hills
    run for your life
  • Options
    threefish10threefish10 Posts: 7,392
    I think the state of Australian music has never been better, silverchair are making a return this year. you also got the Living End's new album which has made me a fan, i used to hate them. Powderfinger will have a new album out this year, then you got Grinspoon, Wolfmother, Faker, Karnival, Shifter, the Grates, plus many others that i can't be botherd to mention, Sure if you are listening to Nova or triple M, that aussie music sucks. Turn your radio to triple J and listen to Home And Hosed on a week night at like 9 o'clock and listen to what great aussie bands are actually out there, not this commerical pop sell a million records crap thats on video hits.
    condescending and sarcastic since 1980
  • Options
    bigmuzzbigmuzz Posts: 299
    iluvslash wrote:
    Is it me or has Australian rock just sunk completley quality wise??? I mean in the 70s through the 80s we had great rock bands AC/DC, INXS even in the 90s we had bands like silver chair, now what do we have??? the lead singer of silver chair has traded rock for techo, we have try-hard girl rock bands like the veronicas don't even remind of that horrible song they released and im sorry but i really hate kiss chasey and every other fucken simple plan rip off we have... Can't we just just go back to the good old days were rock was rock and not a cheap immitation..

urgh...i have ALWAYS hated INXS with a passion.......

silverchair have reformed and recorded a new album, to be released some time soon....

yes, there are a lot of gay try hard bands getting pushed these days (ie The Veronicas, Lee Harding, etc) but you only hear these tunes if u watch video hits......

get your ass to a pub on a friday and saturday nite...there are still a lot of bands going round playing good ol fashioned aussie pub rock.....it will NEVER die.

just cos it isnt in the charts ruled by teenybopper bullshit doesnt mean it is completely dead and buried.
    Sydney Wed 8 Nov 2006....

when all are one and one is all, to be a rock and not to roll.........

see me @ www.myspace.com/bigmuzz

keep on rockin!.......
  • Options
    karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    iluvslash wrote:

What about architacture in Helsinki and Gomez. It's a bit strange that I have to tell you this since they are from your country and I'm from the other side of the world.
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • Options
    iluvslash wrote:

What about architacture in Helsinki and Gomez. It's a bit strange that I have to tell you this since they are from your country and I'm from the other side of the world.
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Architecture in Helsinki and Gomez are both pretty cool as already mentioned

also two bands i'm exploring some are the drones and you am i are they not both from down under? They seem pretty cool.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003

Gomez are NOT australian.
    but if you really want to take stock of how the aussie music scene is going, get into it. there are plenty of bands out there that will knock your socks off.
    cog, dallas crane, the drones, peabody, the butterfly effect, faker, even,the mess hall, karnivool. grinspoon never fail to deliver. there's heaps of good stuff out there.
    last week i sawThe Hot Lies support the Alkaline Trio and even though they were way louder and more screamo than i expected they still rocked the house.
    don't rely on the radio, even if it is JJJ, go find out for yourself.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Oh I thought they were, but anyway A.I.H. still is a great band. Something to be proud of.
  • Options
    MCGMCG Posts: 780
    Aren't the Vines Australian? I'm lookin forward to Vision Valley.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • Options
    absolutely the vines are australian.
    i'm practically frothing at the mouth for vision valley.

it's released here on april fool's day. somehow that seems more than appropriate.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    I feel like the Vines have been kind of written off by a lot of people because of their mainstream appeal. They've put out two solid fucking albums though, and soon to be three!
    Which came first,
  • Options
    Calling The Dissociatives 'techo' is hilarious.
    The sun sets forever over Blackwater Park.
  • Options
    brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    what about hoodoo gurus, australian crawl and spy vs. spy?

i live in a town full of surfers and they still seem to enjoy those bands.

are they still on?
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
  • Options
    pazmanpazman Posts: 197
    Australian music does ROCK and anyone that begs to differ is surely uneducated.

I love some Australian bands to bits.
    BLUEBOTTLE KISS, GYROSCOPE, YOU AM I are my all time faves! :)

Plus there are other quality bands Powderfinger, Silverchair, Grinspoon, After the Fall, Wolfmother, Eskimo Joe, Sleepy Jackson

If you aren't happy wih them then go back to AC/DC and if you complain anymore then you are truly an idiot
    I had it all once I gave it back
  • Options
    ha...im listening to the grinners right now!

aussie rock aint dead mate.........

2 fucken awesome local sydney bands = Zombie Ghost Train, S C Trash

they rock the house everytime they hit the stage........and there are hundreds more bands just like em around the country

aussie rock will never die!

keep on rockin!.......
  • Options
    The new Vines cd is looking good...
  • Options
    MCG wrote:
    I feel like the Vines have been kind of written off by a lot of people because of their mainstream appeal. They've put out two solid fucking albums though, and soon to be three!

the vines have mainstream appeal?
    they certainly hide it well.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    i thought the vines split up???

or did one of em just leave or sumfin?......

keep on rockin!.......
  • Options
    bigmuzz wrote:
    i thought the vines split up???

or did one of em just leave or sumfin?......

The lead singer has a form of autism I guess so they had to cancel touring. The new albums out in 2 weeks though.
    Which came first,
  • Options
    what happened was, craig assaulted a photographer, kicked her camera, whatever, at a free radio gig. they then cancelled paying gigs so he could get some help. he was diagnosed with asperger's, a form of autism. they lost bass player patrick to youth group.(such a shame). now they're back. YAHOO!! i say.
    they never broke up they just took a break to recuperate.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    what happened was, craig assaulted a photographer, kicked her camera, whatever, at a free radio gig. they then cancelled paying gigs so he could get some help. he was diagnosed with asperger's, a form of autism. they lost bass player patrick to youth group.(such a shame). now they're back. YAHOO!! i say.
    they never broke up they just took a break to recuperate.

Wow I never knew any of that. The Vines are one of the best bands to come out of the past 5 years. Highly Evolved is one of my favourite albums, just a shame it's so short! ;)
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • Options
    the reason i remember is cause i was literally walking out the door to see the vines when i was told the gig had been cancelled. i was so pissed off to say the least.
    now THE ONE band i want to see this year is the vines. i'm hoping that they'll be at homebake.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    When I think of Australian rock, I always think of two of my favorite bands, Midnight Oil and Hoodoo Gurus. I was lucky enough to see the Oils in 1993 on the Another Roadside Attraction tour with The Tragically Hip. This was the Oils at the height of their power, and it was easily one of the most incredible rock shows I've ever seen. Peter Garrett will forever remain one of the greatest frontmen ever. That dude knew how to work a crowd!
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    the reason i remember is cause i was literally walking out the door to see the vines when i was told the gig had been cancelled. i was so pissed off to say the least.
    now THE ONE band i want to see this year is the vines. i'm hoping that they'll be at homebake.

I hope you get to see them. I saw them on the tour for the last album a couple of years ago. They were pertty good.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • Options
    iluvslash wrote:

mate...wolfmother????
    the grates?????
    gee whizz....where do u live
    Wave came crashing...
  • Options
    direwolf74 wrote:
    When I think of Australian rock, I always think of two of my favorite bands, Midnight Oil and Hoodoo Gurus. I was lucky enough to see the Oils in 1993 on the Another Roadside Attraction tour with The Tragically Hip. This was the Oils at the height of their power, and it was easily one of the most incredible rock shows I've ever seen. Peter Garrett will forever remain one of the greatest frontmen ever. That dude knew how to work a crowd!

yes i remember seeing the oils a lot and coming away thinking i'd just experienced the gig of my life. you always knew you got value for money with them. there was nothing like being sprayed with peter garrett's sweat. and one of the greatest drummers of all time anywhere in this world - rob hirst. they were a tight outfit alright and good people too.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    BlyssBlyss Posts: 166
    i don't think it's just aussie music, it's rock music in general.
    I mean there aren't that many real rock bands anymore it's more garage/alt, punk, blues whatever.

the way i see it australian music is at it's best right now, but i guess it depends what you're into.
  • Options
    iluvslashiluvslash Posts: 121
    bigmuzz wrote:
    urgh...i have ALWAYS hated INXS with a passion.......

silverchair have reformed and recorded a new album, to be released some time soon....

yes, there are a lot of gay try hard bands getting pushed these days (ie The Veronicas, Lee Harding, etc) but you only hear these tunes if u watch video hits......

get your ass to a pub on a friday and saturday nite...there are still a lot of bands going round playing good ol fashioned aussie pub rock.....it will NEVER die.

just cos it isnt in the charts ruled by teenybopper bullshit doesnt mean it is completely dead and buried.

people im sorry but do you honestly think that silver chair are going to be rock now that daniel johns has started that whole dissocatives pop/ dance music thing!! God if you do im sorry but your completly Delusional!!
    With your bitch slap rappin' and your cocaine tongue you get nothing done!
  • Options
    OmaramaOmarama Posts: 267
    you guys have powderfinger!!
    and grinspoon are pretty good too!
    Monty Got a Raw Deal

" makes much more sense to live in the present tense "
  • Options
    Wolfmother are overrated and overplayed IMO. After seeing them live you realise just how average they are.

There are a ton of great Aussie artists out there though...The Grates, Powderfinger, The Waifs, Xavier Rudd, Sarah Blasko, Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds & Augie March come to mind. Why is it that people are stuck in the mindset that just because a band isn't a clone of INXS or AC/DC they aren't worth listening to?
    the needle & the damage done