PopMatters Review of Kings of Leon... Reviewer Disses Vedder

2»

Comments

• soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    you are aware that Noel Gallagher is the brains behind Liam's attitude, right? Liam is just a loud mouth for Noel's words. If you've ever seen Noel in an interview, HE is fucking hilarious and intelligent and immensely arrogant. Liam is just brash. Also, I was under the impression that androgynous meant an indiscernible mix of both sexes, for instance Brian Molko from Placebo. Morrissey is neither manly nor womanly.

im pretty sure androgyny is just ambiguous sexuality. and yeah, noel is the brains behind oasis. but even if it's an act, nobody pulls it off like liam. his attitude might be all show and swagger, but i've never seen anybody do it so well. i don't think there's any way the band would have become as huge as it did over there without BOTH of them and the dynamic they create.
  • pirlo21pirlo21 Posts: 534
    Hey, what's with the dissing of British rock front men?!!
    They don't come much more camp than Mick Jagger, but he's always getting laid...even now when he's in his 60's !!!!

Anyone hear about how Keith Richards said in an interview last week that he snorted his dead father's ashes ??!!!
    Cymru Am Byth

PJ albums, at the moment!! -
    1,Vs 2,Vitalogy 3,No Code 4,Yield 5,Ten 6,Backspacer, 7Pearl Jam 8,Binaural 9,Riot Act.
  • UKDaveUKDave Posts: 5,557
    i like a lot of brit music too... hell, i DO like the simths at times, pussy vocals or no. but their press has it in for american bands in general. they hate anyone who sings with soul. if you sound like you're half assing it (the strokes) they think it's some sign of restraint and assume it equals talent, while people who pour their all into their singing are perceived as histrionic. the brits are too prim and proper for honest emotional expression.

"some" of the brit press yes... "all" no... Kerrang, Classic Rock, Uncut etc are much more favourable, it's like me picking one of your teen mags and assuming all of the american press / public have the same opinion. In case you hadn't noticed Pearl Jam headlined Leeds & Reading last year, each 70,000 festivals, both to fantastic acclaim...
    Astoria Crew
    Troubled souls unite, we got ourselves tonight...
    Astoria, Dublin, Reading 06
    Katowice, Wembley 07
    SBE, Manchester, O2 09
    Hyde Park 10
    Manchester 1&2 12
    This is just g'bye for now...
  • UKDave wrote:
    "some" of the brit press yes... "all" no... Kerrang, Classic Rock, Uncut etc are much more favourable, it's like me picking one of your teen mags and assuming all of the american press / public have the same opinion. In case you hadn't noticed Pearl Jam headlined Leeds & Reading last year, each 70,000 festivals, both to fantastic acclaim...

Come on UKDave, stop being so nice to them. All Americans are like Paris Hilton and you know it, especially the men ;)
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • UKDaveUKDave Posts: 5,557
    Come on UKDave, stop being so nice to them. All Americans are like Paris Hilton and you know it, especially the men ;)

:rolleyes: yeah ok... fat ass, ignorant... er... er.... ;):D:D
    Astoria Crew
    Troubled souls unite, we got ourselves tonight...
    Astoria, Dublin, Reading 06
    Katowice, Wembley 07
    SBE, Manchester, O2 09
    Hyde Park 10
    Manchester 1&2 12
    This is just g'bye for now...
  • UKDave wrote:
    :rolleyes: yeah ok... fat ass, ignorant... er... er.... ;):D:D

Now you're talking.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,477
    LedZepFan wrote:
    I really like this album but disagree with the reviewer-I quite like the songs he bashed and the only one I strongly dislike is "Charmer." "The Runner" is also one I usually skip. Bashing Vedder sort of ruins this guy's credibility in my book anyway though.
    its a fact there are masses who dont think eddie can sing, but hey we as pj fans deal with it.
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
  • Sexy2aFaultSexy2aFault Posts: 388
    it's a brit magazine. they hate pearl jam and ed above all. why? becos ed has a deep voice and sings like a man. it makes them and their high pitched androgynous nancy boys like morrisey sound like the pussies they are. the balls on american rock and roll scares them, so they say vedder is annoying and the kings of leon guy (though i like them) who can screech like a 10 year old girl is a great singer. becos he makes them feel secure that their eye shadow sporting and tight jean wearing pretend men can still get laid.

Funny stuff.
  • i can never figure out how to delete posts...(sorry)
  • NOCODE#1 wrote:
    its a fact there are masses who dont think eddie can sing, but hey we as pj fans deal with it.
    *nods*.

There are masses of people for every singer who think they suck. No reason to get upset about it.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,870
    whether they came together on their own, or if they're "manufactured", if a group of people can come together and make good music together. Then it's good music. If you think it's bad music because it sounds like crap, then it's bad music.

sex pistols came together the same way, not many people care.

If you met your wife because a friend hooked you up, rather than you meeting her on your own...does that mean she's less of a wife?
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • whether they came together on their own, or if they're "manufactured", if a group of people can come together and make good music together. Then it's good music. If you think it's bad music because it sounds like crap, then it's bad music.

sex pistols came together the same way, not many people care.

If you met your wife because a friend hooked you up, rather than you meeting her on your own...does that mean she's less of a wife?
    *nods*

And besides, they're all brothers and cousins. They fucking grew up together.

"Make our day"
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    THANK YOU!!! finally!!!!

i am guilty into buying kings of leon's first album, and then when they were rolling stone's little hollywood whores, i realized that they were not genuine at all.

100% accurate!!! They are a shitty southern rock version of The Strokes. Hopefully Axl puts out "Chinese Democracy" this year and reminds everybody how a real rock band sounds.
  • Matty Boy wrote:
    100% accurate!!! They are a shitty sothern rock version of The Strokes. Hopefully Axl puts out "Chinese Democracy" this year and reminds everybody how a real rock band sounds.
    this is weird as hell... at least 3 or 4 times I've heard people slam the KOL (which is about the extent of the slamming,.. those 3 or 4 times) they mention Chinese Democracy. I guess you guys prefer cock rock sung by a total jackass :rolleyes: ;)

"Make our day"
  • pjalive21pjalive21 Posts: 2,818
    bdgavin wrote:
    There are shades of Eddie Vedder in his delivery but comes off far less annoying.

shades of Vedder??? are you serious?? how can you even compare the two, there are ZERO similarities....i dont get it

what just because someone squeaks or growls the same way, its "OMG he sounds like Eddie Vedder!!!"

so whats up with these 70's Cover Band Sound-Alike Revivals anyway??